Hermes, Bradford

Any info on what these are like? I have an interview for them coming up so just wondering what to expect and what actual work is involved in class 2? Thanks in advance

Class 2 work USED to be delivering to the various shops that Grattan had. I don’t remember them doing much of anything else with rigids. If it is that work it’s very easy work, all pallets and tail lifts. Home every night with lots of time to do the job. Quite a bit of local work and not much distance stuff, I think Brownhills Nr Birmingham was about the furthest and the shortest was just across Ingleby Rd!
BUT I left just as Parcelnet morphed into Hermes and it’s quite possible things have altered. Pay was good at Parcelent but seem to think that Hermes had new contracts (perhaps only agency)
after making all/most of Parcelnet redundant.

just had a thought, you are referring to class 2 @16 tons etc and not the puddle jumpers ?.
7.5 tons were delivering to agents houses with parcels in sacks. Time sensitive, lots of humpy and meticulous record keeping. I would not have touched it.

Hi, it says 12tonners. And also does mention something about catalogues in the advertt

yes 12 tons is correct.unless they have changed will be Ivecos .
catalogue deliveries consist of having pallets of catalogues for Grattans, Next etc on the truck
You then deliver the number of relevant catalogues to agents houses. Depending on number of customers the agent supplies. Vehicle is loaded overnight for you with correct total of catalogues.
All handball, but you usually have an agency non driver with you and I think they give you a handcart. I have no idea how ymany drops but it will be do-able. Work is going to be mainly Yorkshire area as other depots service their own regions.
Guessing its just a temp job as catalogues are very seasonal, i.e. 3-4 times a year.

Thanks for info. It’s permanent. 40 hour a week contract. He did say most will be 7 collections daily as the advert isn’t written clearly. So not entirely sure what’s what really. When you say agents houses, you literally mean their house?

literally. unless it has changed the drivers would sometimes have the keys to a garage or similar if the agent couldn’t be available. I think the catalogue deliveries were to so called “super agents” who would the distribute them to the local agents
However, if the job is permanent then somethings must have / probably have changed.
Conditions are good, with a pension, good holidays, uniform etc. and there used to be a 30% staff discount off the Grattan catalogue, but the staff discount may have gone now that Hermes is seperate from the Otto group.
Definately worth trying at the interview.

Thanks pal. I had a decent chat with him on the phone and he was straight to the point really. Says it’s a piece of ■■■■ but some generous terms have changed 18nonths ago but the job is easy

did he give a name?

Have worked for Bridgwater depot and can’t add a lot more to what has already been said, but it sounds like a Monday to Friday job with 8 hours paid for turning in. Anything over that would be overtime. If the warehouse has got its act together, you just turn up and drive out. Delivery probably no more than 6 or 7 drops. First drop of the day may be 3 or 4 pallets for a sub-depot, where the vultures will be waiting, then start ‘rounds’ which is delivery to couriers homes and lock-ups. Only problem is every courier wants to be first and will complain if you are perceived to be late. Just open up the roller shutter and chuck it out (you will have to scan with handheld gun). Packages are mostly clothing, parcels bagged in to sacks, and larger loose items, also hanging garments. By far the biggest amount of stuff is for Next.co.uk catalogue. Occasionally you will have to deliver pallets of catalogues, which is a pain up the proverbial. Work is pretty easy but you need to work quickly. Finish the run with picking up some freight or ‘clearing out’ a sub-depot, then run back to base and unload everything to the correct area of the warehouse. There is some class 2 trunking at night and weekends. Automatic 12-ton 4-wheeler box vans. It doesn’t really get much easier than that.

Cheers cosmic. You no longer there? What sort of hours were you doing? The thing I’m not keen about is it is flat rate regardless. Even weekends = flat rate.

I was on agency so I don’t really know what the deal is with regard to pay etc.