Heres the trucks i have driven

Hi

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if any of the old time drivers have any pics or stories involving Errol Flynn mentioned in the above comments. Errol is my grandad and isn’t keeping too well at the min and I just thought some old pics and stories would maybe give him a wee boost

Thanks in advance
Gerard

Hi Gerard, I am sorry to hear that Errol is not too well at the moment but if you buy him a copy of Kevin Nobles book “Baghdad Trucker” then I am sure that will cheer him up a bit. It mentions some of Errol’s days when he was working for Taffy Davies which was before (I think) he started for Alan Dayson. How old is your grandad now as he must be well into his late seventies,if not eighties. Ask him if he can still remember this fellow Jim Smethurst who worked for Chet Trucks, Falcongate and Dow who is sat here in The National in Belgrade.
Another Scotsman who I remember seeing with Errol a couple of times was Billy Macdonald who drove for Dow Freight and Chapman and Ball. If he has got any photos then I am sure that we would all love to see them and hear of some of his many memories.

Regards Steve.

G.E.FLYNN:
Hi

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if any of the old time drivers have any pics or stories involving Errol Flynn mentioned in the above comments. Errol is my grandad and isn’t keeping too well at the min and I just thought some old pics and stories would maybe give him a wee boost

Thanks in advance
Gerard

Hi Gerard, what a pleasant surprise to hear you enquiring about stories of your Grandad. I have asked several people over the years about him and have been told that he had the big C and had gone to the big tir park in the sky. Saying that my Doctor told me a couple of years ago, that according to my medical records I had been dead for over ten years, so there we go.
My first recollections of Errol was meeting him one winter in north eastern Turkey at one of the bulgi tir parks. He was driving for Whitetrux and on his way back from Tehran. I was driving for Frank White and on my way to Tehran. We met up on lots of occasions after that whilst driving for different companies. We were talking one day and he happened to mention his next door neighbour Eddie, who was a Fish buyer for Croans for Kippers that i also knew, small world. I even remember his fortieth birthday p++s up in the National Hotel in Belgrade. Give him my best regards from David Jamieson.

Hi Steve & David

Thanks for your replies. We all have a copy of Bagdad trucker my grandad has a copy hidden awayin new condition lol.
I will ask him in the next day or so if he has any old photo’s stories he can share with me and ill be sure to post them.

Regards
Gerard

I would just like to let everyone know that knew my grandad Errol Flynn that on the 14th July 2015 my grandad sadly passed away surrounded by his family. Everyone that knew him knows how much of a gentleman he was and he will be sadly missed. I would love if anyone had pics of my grandad in his trucking days could post them for us.

t broke our hearts to lose you,
but you never went alone,
for a part of us went with you,
the day god took you home.

A million times we missed you,
A million times we cried,
If love could have saved you,
you never would have died.

To the grave you travel,
Our flowers placed with care,
No-one knows the heartache,
as we turn to leave you there.

If tears could build a stairway,
and memories could make a lane,
we would walk right up to heaven,
and bring you home again.

thoughts r with u and your family know how things r my dad just passed gd luck for future from a fellow flynn

Sincere condolences to you and all of Errol’s family at this sad time. My thoughts are with you.

Clik on this link then click on all my trucks

s144.photobucket.com/albums/r182/klunk-■■■■■■■■

Hope it works tell me if it does,nt klunk

Absolutely superb pictures mate. I had a look at the main album and the Dayson’s one as well, did you drive the M/E route?

My fave has to be the F86, but almost every one is a classic!!

Ye chorcheelas i lost my licence for 3 month (totting up) in 1984 so i went on the middle east run with Allan Dayson at Carlisle i stopped with him for 18 months running to Qatar,Dubie,Emerates and plenty Iraq and Turkey in the end the transit taxes got to much in turkey and iraq so we ended up transhipping in Istanbul on to turkish trucks organised by the famous young turk usually two days testing the efes beer and the other delicacies that were available :wink:
When i started work for Aldersons i was on the 110 scanny which used to turn a few eyes in those days as not many about with proper sleepers ,
i was running fish to france i only did one trip abroad with the f86 when the scanny had gearbox trouble poor little mite she did not have the power for the hills of italy (needed a tow up the mont cenis) we had to go that way as we had no Italian permits and the rate for the peaches out of italy was around £2000 to london this was in 1976/7 :smiley:

I did the peaches out of Italy & over Mont Cenis in a clapped out F10.We might of met ? We did it for P+ O . We shipped out empty . Before we left we collected our running money from P+O Dover. Convoys of clapped out rate-cutters on UK plates… :laughing:

Yes Harry we must have met sometime do you recognise this restaurant this was taken mid eightys?(B reg truck) then we used to tip lambs in corbas then run to Italy for the peaches p&o had taken it over and the guys you are talking about were doing it and the rates dropping when you heard them you would had thought they were the first to do it with all there filthy tricks but the meat men had been there years before them
In the earlier days we used do the peaches for lindseys in Glasgow for good rates this restaurant was a good place to sleep out of the heat and NO MOSKITOS. Also i have found the picture of Rungis i was looking for earlier i have blown the pic up and trying to put names to the trucks i,ll post it later with the names so if anyone recognises any of them shout :question:

Sorry the pictures came out the wrong way around the one above is Rungis and below top of Mont Cenis , :laughing: i know , it obvious :sunglasses:

Yeah,I remember it .It was a good one. It was one of the last in France. I stopped there once & there was this poor old petrified French lady who was passenger in a car. The altitude had got to her & she was too terrified to get back in the car to continue to Italy.There was another truckstop further down the hill on the right with a bigger carpark but it was a hangout for all the clever fella,s with no money, no diesel ,no permits etc.
I never went to Rungis but I recognize the trucks.

I remember the restaurant Klunk, but never stopped there, always in too much
of a hurry to get down to Savona and on the beach for the weekend :laughing: :wink:

The photo of Rungis brings back memories too, not so pleasant though, and
much more recent. Apart from deliveries there (nightmare), I had to load fish a
few times too. The bays were very close together and not much room in front
due to all the parked vehicles. Once I waited all day only to be told ‘no load’. :smiley:

great photos klunk, what happened here, was the cab too quick for the chassis?? :blush:

Klunk., I have just been looking at your latest collection of great photos on the photobucket link on your original post. On the Daysons list you have one listed as Sheraton Qatar i’m sure the guy with the red T shirt sitting down is John Jenkinson a good friend of my dads, he was a man mountain of a guy and used to be a regular visitor to our house when I was growing up, he worked the middle east for many years for Pan Arabian and he worked for Essex International as well. The guy with the flat bobble hat also appears to be an old pal of my dads but not 100% is it Bob Vallas?

R143 wrote

i’m sure the guy with the red T shirt sitting down is John Jenkinson a good friend of my dads, he was a man mountain of a guy and used to be a regular visitor to our house when I was growing up, he worked the middle east for many years for Pan Arabian and he worked for Essex International as well. The guy with the flat bobble hat also appears to be an old pal of my dads but not 100% is it Bob

Cheers thats put another name to my drivers file he was a charecter i knew his name was John but thats all i knew this pic is us sitting in Johns nice cool fridge at Salwa on the Saudi Qater border he had tipped a Charly Prior load in Dubie (Mars bars) afridge man always has many freinds in that heat
The other man with the bobble hat is Chris Stevenson from Carlisle who worked for Dayson on the mid east for 20 years every body knew Chris the last time i saw Chris he was working for Noel Swecker.
The lad reading the the book is Peter Lawson from west auckland who worked for Taffy Davies and i think now is top dog in a north east firm

well klunk brings back memories of m/d days i must know you i used to run with harry i think hes name got burnt in the truck and a nother bloke been there long time oldie guy this was in the 1980,s i worked then for ohs and lobo

ken egg on legs :bulb: :sunglasses:

ken egg on legs wrote

well klunk brings back memories of m/d days i must know you i used to run with harry i think hes name got burnt in the truck and a nother bloke been there long time oldie guy this was in the 1980,s i worked then for ohs and lobo

I think the lad you talking about is Harry Wuffy from Rotherham and a gas stove exploded in the cab and burnt him badly that why he looked like a ■■■■■■■ a real character the other guy might have been Errol Flynn from Ayr in the picture below are Chris and Errol in middle talking anyone know where this was taken my pic has a clue

And heres one of me

I met a few lomo Ohs lads did you know Reg Cook he used to live near me the last time i saw reg he was driving that long nosed mack i think klunk

hi klunk yes errol flyn and harry good pic of errol peter lawson was taffy davies step son and last i herd was top dog at n e firm as for reg cook first met him at the natinoal belgrade got me a job at ohs good bloke do you rember jhon penny bill butter bum at dow

tony gambation (ohs) egg