Here's one for you!?

can you drive a recovery vehicle towing a full size artic behind it with an old class 2 with grandfathers rights or would u need the full ce without 102 restriction,i saw one 2day and it got me thinking :exclamation: :question:

ing a guess here but i would say thats a no no.

One of my former work mates did do just that, He couldnt drive an artic but could tow one on the wrecker. He had the grandfather rights thing to tow a trailer behind a rigid so that gave him the go ahead. He and the boss checked it via the local traffic police they worked with and also DVLA and they confirmed it was fine.
What changed though about a year back he did his class 1 as the insurance company was getting itchy feet about him doing the work, due to another driver having a wee moment whilst towing a bus.

Imp:
One of my former work mates did do just that, He couldnt drive an artic but could tow one on the wrecker. He had the grandfather rights thing to tow a trailer behind a rigid so that gave him the go ahead. He and the boss checked it via the local traffic police they worked with and also DVLA and they confirmed it was fine.
What changed though about a year back he did his class 1 as the insurance company was getting itchy feet about him doing the work, due to another driver having a wee moment whilst towing a bus.

i was thinking they could but wasnt 100%.how daft is that tho! :laughing:

eddster1979:

Imp:

how daft is the 102 restriction full stop.

drawbardaz:

eddster1979:

Imp:

No dafter than when I had an old HGV class 2 but no one would employ me to drive a 38 tonne wagon and drag even though I could have driven one on a class 3 if it was a 2+3 axle outfit.

Carryfast:

drawbardaz:

eddster1979:

Imp:

No dafter than when I had an old HGV class 2 but no one would employ me to drive a 38 tonne wagon and drag even though I could have driven one on a class 3 if it was a 2+3 axle outfit.

i think it’s a lot “dafter” than that. fair enough no one would employ you to drive wag & drag for what ever reason.
but the 102 restriction is daft because it restricts a driver with grandfather rights to wag and drag but a newbie can jump in an artic with same licence if passed on a drawbar as they dont get 102. :unamused:

When I was on recovery we were told it’s fully legal to recover an artic on a class 2 ,because as far as the law is concerned you were onlt technically towing the unit.

Ben9:
When I was on recovery we were told it’s fully legal to recover an artic on a class 2 ,because as far as the law is concerned you were onlt technically towing the unit.

Not correct or legal AIUI.