Here's a good run!

I wish you all the best of luck Adrian, looks like you may finally have found a job which you settle in for more than two months! :wink:

bigvern1:
As stated…Why should what you say matter? It doesn’t. Since you made a ridiculous statement about a delicate subject last year. Your opinions matter not a jot. So when I ask you personally for an opinion,then what you say may interest me.

here here !!

bigvern1:
Just received my orders for next week. Got to be in Genoa Italy for Monday, get a ferry from there to Sicily. From Sicily to Naples. Then on to Bari and on to Ireland. Blimey! :open_mouth:

i can’t figure out that run at all ? Why Genoa to Sicily which is on the west side of Italy, then back to Bari on the east side for Ireland ? … Multiple drop and pick ups ?

Just make sure you don’t stop for any red traffic lights when you drive off the boat in Palermo at rush hour because no one else does especially the buses. :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing:

waynedl:
Approx 4080 miles depending on exact places, at 70mph that’d take 60hrs without stopping / starting / building up speed / obeying speed limits etc, so more likely around 75 hrs actual drive time :open_mouth:
We can only do 90hrs a fortnight. I’ll stick with the tacho :smiley:

It’s possible to do from Surrey to Genoa in less than 12 hours total including Dover-Calais and going over the St Bernard and Enna to Surrey in less than two days total including one night stop going via Messina on the way home.But you’d need a 6.0 Litre V12 motor in that van to do it. :smiling_imp: :wink:

turnip:

bigvern1:
I won’t be able to stay home for 2 weeks to be honest. And when you get paid £200 net, to collect one pallet from Milan.
I think this “Crap work” is ideal.

If it lasts ! Which I doubt. I wager you’ll be whingeing about it soon enough. Being made to work weeks 3&4 for no extra or worse not being payed atall. And 20 hrs a day and sleeping across the seats is a fast way to an early funeral. But hey good luck.

I love all you doubters. Who said there is no extra pay for the extra we may do? Of course we get paid.
I have been sleeping across seats for years. My health is grand. And I whinge about where I went wrong in the bad choices I make. I like it and that’s who I give a ■■■■■■ about most. ME. :wink:

Pat Hasler:

bigvern1:
Just received my orders for next week. Got to be in Genoa Italy for Monday, get a ferry from there to Sicily. From Sicily to Naples. Then on to Bari and on to Ireland. Blimey! :open_mouth:

i can’t figure out that run at all ? Why Genoa to Sicily which is on the west side of Italy, then back to Bari on the east side for Ireland ? … Multiple drop and pick ups ?

It’s all collections. 1st one in Sicily. The boss gave us the ferry because of the distance. It’s a nice break to compensate for the drive and temporary sleeping arrangements. Then there are 3 collections in and around Naples. Then 2 in Bari, and 1 in Foggia. Then deliver the whole lot 1 drop near Dublin. OK? :sunglasses:

Sounds like a really interesting job, I would love a go at it but the money would have to be really good to compensate sleeping across the seats. There is still a daily driving limit in vans of 10 hours and you’re supposed to keep records, do you?

Good luck with the run mate but I thought the foreign plod were putting a stop to sleeping across the seats. I was talking to a young lad at Barnard Castle truck show a bit back with a bed built into the bulkhead of his Sprinter van and he reckoned it was a no no in some places now.

Sounds like an interesting job Mr V, what are you driving?
What’s the money like and do you get nightout dosh?

I’ll be honest driving vans on that sort of work IMO is for men who wanna be truck drivers but can’t make it in the big stuff. Yes its interesting, no doubt about it but flogging my guts out and not getting a proper nights sleep ain’t my idea of fun.

A good mate of mine used to work for FreightEuro in Milton Keynes and at one point was doing MK-Prague 3 times a week in a Sprinter!! Poor ■■■■ never slept!

waynedl:
Approx 4080 miles depending on exact places, at 70mph that’d take 60hrs without stopping / starting / building up speed / obeying speed limits etc, so more likely around 75 hrs actual drive time :open_mouth:
We can only do 90hrs a fortnight. I’ll stick with the tacho :smiley:

I was looking at this job offer but after doing the sums I decided it wasnt worth it.
The 75 hours driving is just driving, factor into this ferry/train crossings, fueling up, loading/unloading and you are probably looking at 100 hours per week, thats 200 hours per fornight. Glen posted that he cleared ÂŁ1563 for his two weeks/14 days work and there are NO NIGHT OUT allowances on top. If you deduct ÂŁ20 for each night out that leaves ÂŁ1283 for approx 200 hours work, that works out at ÂŁ6.41 net for each hour and thats at a flat rate straight through, no time and half after 40/50 hours or double time for sunday running. It might seem like good money for a fortnights work but if there is no extra work the two weeks off then that breaks down to ÂŁ320 a week which for being away sleeping accross seats in a small van is in these days crap. If you were to work the hourly rate out as it should be paid with time and half excetra then the actual rate would be well below the min wage.
Nothing personal to the guys/gals doing the job each to there own but as a few have said how long can you sustain working like that without either falling asleep at the wheel or becoming ill. Its about time there were rules regarding working these hours if not for drivers health then that of other road users.

BuzzardBoy:
I’ll be honest driving vans on that sort of work IMO is for men who wanna be truck drivers but can’t make it in the big stuff. Yes its interesting, no doubt about it but flogging my guts out and not getting a proper nights sleep ain’t my idea of fun.

A good mate of mine used to work for FreightEuro in Milton Keynes and at one point was doing MK-Prague 3 times a week in a Sprinter!! Poor [zb] never slept!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I would say that a trip from MK to Prague and back was a week’s work in a truck.

Harry Monk:

BuzzardBoy:

A good mate of mine used to work for FreightEuro in Milton Keynes and at one point was doing MK-Prague 3 times a week in a Sprinter!! Poor [zb] never slept!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I would say that a trip from MK to Prague and back was a week’s work in a truck.

He reckoned he could do it in 18/19 hours each way, he was on good money for it IIRC, in the region of £300 a trip which in the mid/late 90’s went alot further than it did now…

dazcapri:
Good luck with the run mate but I thought the foreign plod were putting a stop to sleeping across the seats. I was talking to a young lad at Barnard Castle truck show a bit back with a bed built into the bulkhead of his Sprinter van and he reckoned it was a no no in some places now.

See quite a few with them roof pod things on too. woulnt want to be tall or a bit or a bloater with one id imagine.

bigvern1:

turnip:

bigvern1:
I won’t be able to stay home for 2 weeks to be honest. And when you get paid £200 net, to collect one pallet from Milan.
I think this “Crap work” is ideal.

If it lasts ! Which I doubt. I wager you’ll be whingeing about it soon enough. Being made to work weeks 3&4 for no extra or worse not being payed atall. And 20 hrs a day and sleeping across the seats is a fast way to an early funeral. But hey good luck.

I love all you doubters. Who said there is no extra pay for the extra we may do? Of course we get paid.
I have been sleeping across seats for years. My health is grand. And I whinge about where I went wrong in the bad choices I make. I like it and that’s who I give a ■■■■■■ about most. ME. :wink:

Good luck with it fella. If it suits you and its what you wanna do, then I wouldn’t worry about the opinions of the Trucknet mafia. You could win the euromillions and give it all away to charity and someone on here would be quick enough to have a pop at you :unamused:

what do you actually sleep on do you take a blow up matress or just sleep on the actual seats cant be any worse than some of the matresses ive slept on

can’t be any worse than the old magic board we used to sleep on years ago . good luck with the job fella :wink:

I think you’ll find JD retracted that statement and apologised - time to move on, there is no one on here who has not made a mistake FACT

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

BuzzardBoy:
He reckoned he could do it in 18/19 hours each way, he was on good money for it IIRC, in the region of £300 a trip which in the mid/late 90’s went alot further than it did now…

It can’t be right for anyone to have to work 18/19 hours a day for six days on the trot. Not right for other road users and not right for the driver. Even sheep and cattle have to have longer rest periods than this.

Van driving seems to be the last unregulated area of professional driving, and it’s time van drivers were given better legal protection.