Hereford from the M50

I had to go to Hereford via the M50 today.
The TomTom truck nav sent me to the end of it,then down past the Vosa weighbridge,and on to the A49,thus ignoring all of the M50 exits :confused:
Surely,at least one of the turn offs must be truck friendly…any advice chaps ? ( 18t,11’ 4" )

I’d either do Jct 7 M5 and A4103 (if coming down from that way) or Ross on Wye and up the A49 as your TT suggested, bugger going through Ledbury, it’d take you longer even though it’s a slightly shorter route.

That’s the way the local’s want you to go, around there you would have seen black lorry signs.

Not been that way for many years…I’ve got very very vague memories of Ledbury being a no-go area :unamused:
I saw the black HGV signs,and decided not to be a hero…I’ve tried to be a clever ■■■■ before,and regretted it :frowning: :wink:

Used to go M5 J7 A4103 nearly to Hereford over the river to island then left on the A465 Aylestone hill into Hereford.not much fun heavy in the dark but a blast back up to J7 on a Sunday morning empty with hardly any traffic about.

Daytrunker:
Used to go M5 J7 A4103 nearly to Hereford over the river to island then left on the A465 Aylestone hill into Hereford.not much fun heavy in the dark but a blast back up to J7 on a Sunday morning empty with hardly any traffic about.

Fromes Hill northbound fully laden :open_mouth: blowing out my arris even in a newish wagon :open_mouth: :wink:

At least used to do it the right way downhill full back up empty lol,always used to think wouldn’t fancy back from Hereford full upto the M5 lol :grimacing:

Baggie:

Daytrunker:

Fromes Hill northbound fully laden :open_mouth: blowing out my arris even in a newish wagon :open_mouth: :wink:

Was literally just about to put this. I was a 440 man with a trailer full of cider. I never went that way again :open_mouth:

Never through Ledbury for sure. If you are on the M50 then the A49 is the easy and sensible route. If you are further North then Worcester and the A4103 is the way to go. I really used to enjoy driving that road, even fully freighted with plastic wrapping from Moreton on Lugg.

red7jase:

Baggie:

Daytrunker:

Was literally just about to put this. I was a 440 man with a trailer full of cider. I never went that way again :open_mouth:

Used to pull the odd tanker out of Bulmers with an Actros 440 or 460 (can’t remember exact hp now) and had no issues pulling up Fromes Hill yes it was slow by the time you got to the top but it still got up well enough.

This pic was actually taken on the A4103 coincidentally, in this layby > goo.gl/maps/ERYftkTJPqp

As said off M5 jct 7 over A4103,Fromes hill can be a tow if wet though and fully loaded.
Other way off jct 2 M50 up into Ledbury on A417 then pick up A438 into Hereford,14’6 bridge on that road though just before Hereford.

I used to run to Bulmers regularly with a tank…my route was M40 - A 40…M5…M50…( J2 ) all the way to hereford…didnt touch Ledbury town at all…

truckyboy:
I used to run to Bulmers regularly with a tank…my route was M40 - A 40…M5…M50…( J2 ) all the way to hereford…didnt touch Ledbury town at all…

Well you wouldn’t touch Ledbury town seeing as there is a bypass not to mention a 7.5 tonne limit through it, but the Ledbury “area” is still a pita nonetheless, I’m not saying it’s not doable I just personally prefer the two options I mentioned earlier.

Just a heads up if your gunna use A4103 there digging the road up at bottom of fromes hill (Worcester side).