Here i go again

Booked my c+e training for 25th of May , doing training and test in scania manual but hopefully will be a bit easier than doing c test as have had a years expierience of lgv but won’t know until im in the driving seat I guess , already ■■■■ myself! , hopefully have settled a bit when time arrives lol . Then the job searching all over again , I have full time work with a company through agency atm so no hurry but the money is crap so the sooner I get into artic work the better .

Good luck, hope you get the right result.

I don’t know what gearbox you are used to, if you can handle a range change gearbox then you should be okay, just ensure you change range on a scania before moving the gear lever, as you can get false neutrals if not and if the truck has a 12 speed then 2nd gear is where 3rd is on an 8 speed box.

The main area for practice with the artic training is normally reversing and uncoupling, take your time, think about it carefully, don’t panic and practice, practice, practice.

Tockwith Training:
Good luck, hope you get the right result.

I don’t know what gearbox you are used to, if you can handle a range change gearbox then you should be okay, just ensure you change range on a scania before moving the gear lever, as you can get false neutrals if not and if the truck has a 12 speed then 2nd gear is where 3rd is on an 8 speed box.

The main area for practice with the artic training is normally reversing and uncoupling, take your time, think about it carefully, don’t panic and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks . It’s a 12 speed manual , I’ve only ever used 4 over 4 , auto & straight six .
So can you block change with these gear boxes or do you have to run through complete sequence 1l 1h 2l 2h . What is usual gear on approach to roundabout etc?

I’m not saying this change method is right for professional driving, but for test I would use these gears on the level to set off.

3rd low split - 4th low Split - 5th low split - 6th low split then change to high split on motorway and long straight roads at 50mph but you won’t get a driving fault if you don’t use high split.

On hills set off in 2nd low split.

This gear change sequence is fine for test but clutch won’t last more than a year if you set off in 3rd, if you are capable at judging traffic well when setting off the use 2nd as much as possible from a standstill. You can block change, but only really downhill as you have less gears (6 rather than 8 ) although in theory you have 12 but only if you use the splitter, which I doubt you will need it much for test at our weights. So just run through the gear in order and block shift down the box, 6 to 4, then 3rd or 2nd depending on situation/speed.

We have manual Scanias at our place mate. With respect to the previous advice,take no notice. The ‘top’ splitter is your low/high as I am sure you probably already know. Forget it exists(leave it in the ‘up’ position). A little green cog will show on the dashboard if its in low.

Treat it as 6 gears mate. 1-6 but don’t bother with 1st. I only ever need it if I am fully/near fully loaded.

You will only have a few ton on. Just drive it with 5 gears-piece of ■■■■. 2nd,3rd,flick it up 4th,5th and 6th.

Easy.

Thanks for advice , feel a bit easier now I won’t have to master the split shifts to much (turtleheads went back to the warmth for now haha ) depending on my trainer of course but I’m sure he will want to make it as easy possible for me. So just everything else to cope with which I’m sure I will handle . I used to have a trailer to transport cars and I used to be ok reversing with that were just talking different scale lol and can’t see the back of the trailer .I’m just trying to do some searching on how to keep myself calm on the day. It’s kind of same feeling I guess putting your last £1200 quid on a horse and watching it come home , or fall at first fence !. Guess that’s what I have to forget if I’m going to do this .

Its not a gamble victa-its an investment in yourself mate.
Even if you were to fail your test,(hopefully not),you would still be gaining test experience,so my advice would be to see it as ’ steps on a ladder ’ pal.

You will soon be one of the jedi.

Lol very true m8 thank you . I was born a Jedi! im just at phase of trying to master the sabre haha .

Well my time has come lol , hardly slept a wink and got up at 5am so will sleep tonight for sure . I am totally calm excited but calm and hopefully stays that way.Holiday Monday so hopefully traffic won’t be too bad . Anyway here I go again :slight_smile:

Good luck mate, hope the first day goes well!

You had your test yet?

Training for four days then test Friday bud . Training going well ,great day yesterday done a couple round the block then into Bathgate then took a test route then back to yard to couple and uncouple , then done a couple of reverses which went fine first thing I done was steered wrong way lol but won’t do that again ha, I’m speeding on occassions so will have to really nail that . The unit is worrying me a bit (scania r420) it’s taking an age for air pressure to build up , the gears are very notchy and when cold impossible , the steering feels very heavy but useable . The seat belt jams sometimes and I’m sure if it does that during test it will be a fail . Anyway here now so got to get on with it .

It seems the notchy gearbox was me lol , seems to be going in a lot smoother now , seat belt seems to be good and I have mastered the reversing so all’s good so bring on the test!.

IN THE BAG !

5 minors but pass is a pass :slight_smile:

Going to get hammered oot my tats now with a bit o luck.

Glad it’s all over !

:bulb: edit first post and add CE passed :bulb:

Cheers ROG

no better feeling , enjoy it . Fair play

Congratz
:sunglasses:

Thanks guys . I think that was the easy bit .Now looking to get company to take me on without expierience is the new task .