Herald of Free Enterprise - 30 Years Ago Today

Yes, hard to believe but it’s 30 years ago this evening since that awful, tragic, disaster. Lets pause for a moment to remember those who lost their lives that day and think of their families and loved ones.

Yes. I remember it well.

GS.

Hey, Times go fast as we see it’s already 30 years, at that evening I was heading for Austria. Not so happy because of
hurring to transit Austria before saterday noon, such day you never forget that and can even remember that it came on de radio while crossing the Belgian German border.
Often seen and walked between the trucks which were on a park in Zeebrugge for a while, at that time all kinds of things walks through your head.

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey, Times go fast as we see it’s already 30 years, at that evening I was heading for Austria. Not so happy because of
hurring to transit Austria before saterday noon, such day you never forget that and can even remember that it came on de radio while crossing the Belgian German border.
Often seen and walked between the trucks which were on a park in Zeebrugge for a while, at that time all kinds of things walks through your head.

Eric,

Eric My dad worked for BET at the time and was somewhere in Europe that weekend ( No Mobiles ) do you know how many of BET/ Carmans were on it . Just seen a photo with one that had been taken off after the incident

A couple of Noel Abel’s Daf furniture vans were on it. At least one was rebuilt in his workshop in Watton. Also an enterprising local Welding supplier bought a container load of Mig wire and re-packaged the reels. I was using cheap wire for months - plain cardboard boxes instead of red Philips water damaged ones. Jim.

I had sailed on HOFE and her sister ships, POFE and SOFE many times when I was doing m/e in the '70’s and '80’s.
I had hung up my keys for an indoor job just six months before this tragedy. A mate who is on for my firm now was doing continental at the time, and missed the ferry because he stopped outside ZB to buy some baccy!
My thoughts are still with those we lost, Rest in Peace colleagues.

Boatchaser:

tiptop495:

Eric,

Eric My dad worked for BET at the time and was somewhere in Europe that weekend ( No Mobiles ) do you know how many of BET/ Carmans were on it . Just seen a photo with one that had been taken off after the incident

Hey, i can’t remember which it all were too long ago, and there weren 't any digicamera’s as today to make shots.
All what i remember before my eyes was a dark blue Volvo F10 or 12, but name ■■?
What I remember too was that shorts afterwards a townsend ferry of Felixstone digged in on a sand bank or so before the port, and 2 or 3 people died too.

Eric,