Hendaye beach.Near Irun border.Pre TIR days

Any drivers used to go to the French side beach while waiting to clear customs at Irun.Most would only stay in the bars and lady clubs in Irun,and not have a dip in Hendaye.

Many times in fact it used to get quite packed with the Spanish Basques as well stacks of totty :laughing: :laughing:

peter mill:
Any drivers used to go to the French side beach while waiting to clear customs at Irun.Most would only stay in the bars and lady clubs in Irun,and not have a dip in Hendaye.

Never went for a dip but walked across the bridge many times to eat on the French side when stuck overnight waiting for ‘T forms’ after missing an agents deadline.

Ross.

I remember going swimming a bit further North if we were weekended in Bordeaux. Can you remember the convoy of uk units driving to the coast and wallowing in the sand somewhere between Archachon and Lanton. I seem to remember the water was shallow and the sand very black.

Biggest sand dunes in the world,South West of Bordeaux,Arachon road,parked wagon in forest track road,French customs searched my trailer on a Saturday night after running after 22.00 ban.They had 4x4,under cover vehicles,with scuba diving tanks in the boot,i asked why,they told it was to let air out thier tyres to drive on a sandy beach without getting stuck,and with the scuba tanks re inflate the tyres for road use.Apparently smugglers would throw stuff or their boats,and stuff would get washed up on the beaches.Hendaye was good for eye candy,nice walk.Packed out in Summer.

If you have an hour to spare, Bidart services southbound on A63, just below Biarritz.

Take side gate out of services and follow road down to the beach, about a 15min walk.
Couple of places to have a drink and a snack and a great sandy beach.

A pleasant place to have a break and to get away from the truck.

squarepeg:
If you have an hour to spare, Bidart services southbound on A63, just below Biarritz.

Take side gate out of services and follow road down to the beach, about a 15min walk.

I’ve been racking my brain to remember the name of the services we used to stop at and walk to the beach, Bidart, well done squarepeg, I’ll sleep tonight.

Ross.

bigr250:
I’ve been racking my brain to remember the name of the services we used to stop at and walk to the beach, Bidart, well done squarepeg, I’ll sleep tonight.

Ross.

No probs, all part of the service

squarepeg:

i agree completely about nice place to get away from the truck but recently been an increase in breaking into the trucks.
usually gentlemen of a morrocan description because i’m not allowed to call them [ZB] :smiling_imp:
more recently one of our scanias broken into but gendarmes caught the person of questionable parentage with our drivers passport and guess what? he was a fellow truck driver but of the flipflop and sock wearing brigade with his tarcky bottoms, vest and lidl carrier bags but if i say where from it will get [ZB] :open_mouth:

welshboyinspain:
usually gentlemen of a morrocan description because i’m not allowed to call them [ZB] :smiling_imp:

Your right, your not allowed to use offensive nicknames in reference to where someone comes from.

welshboyinspain:
more recently one of our scanias broken into but gendarmes caught the person of questionable parentage with our drivers passport and guess what? he was a fellow truck driver but of the flipflop and sock wearing brigade with his tarcky bottoms, vest and lidl carrier bags but if i say where from it will get [ZB] :open_mouth:

No it won’t, unless it’s an offensive nickname for where the person comes from.

Simon, I’m only saying that because so many PC rules in UK now that its probably offensive to call him a muslim even though its not an offensive word :confused:

I don’t want to scuttle the boat.
There have been many comments.
But shouldn’t it be “Pre EEC or Pre Eu”?
I’m old,but I don’t remember pre TIR day’s. :smiley: