Helpful tip for TomTom users (and other USB devices)

Users of TomTom satnavs (and many other devices) will be aware that the micro-USB connectors used to charge them are quite fragile. The problem is not simply caused by repeated plugging/unplugging of the connector, but by sideways forces on the cable “fretting” at the connector and the printed circuit board that carries it. Typical symptoms will be that charging becomes erratic and eventually stops altogether. Many users won’t even realise there is a problem until it’s too late as a small amount of movement/vibration is often enough to re-establish connection, with the device battery keeping it going in the meantime. A significant issue here though is that Lithium Ion batteries don’t like being repeatedly connected/disconnected and before long the battery will fail. The 90 degree connector used on some TomTom devices is particularly prone to this as it is effectively designed to be used in a LHD vehicle, with the cable exiting to the right.

Repairing the micro-USB connector on the TomTom charging cradle is difficult for us mere mortals, so normally a new cradle is called for (at £30 or so a pop!). Other phones/devices that don’t have a similar cradle arrangement may require the whole thing be replaced…

SO, as I was faced with replacing the cradle for a third time (first one FOC from TomTom, others paid for by me…) I decided to look at the problem and see what could be done to alleviate the issue. My solution, while not exactly elegant, seems to be holding up well. I purchased some Sugru “mouldable glue” from Amazon (£6 for a pack of three sachets) and set about forming a solid support for the cable/connector to prevent the “wobbling” of the connection, left it 24 hours to cure and -Voila! No more intermittent charging. I’m sure the same principle could be applied to most other micro- and mini-USB charger connectors.

Here’s a piccie of my effort (I did say it wasn’t elegant!)

Sugru is great, been using it for a while now. Macbook Pro charger cables fraying near the magsafe connector are a common problem and I used some to sort that. Used it in the car, used it on various bits and bobs, wife used it to make some bump stops on some gear for her flyball. You can also use it to stick stuff to walls too.

Only downside is that once you’ve opened a packet you’re using all of it or binning the excess and it has a use by date with not much leniency. After that use by date it starts to lose its pliability.

According to the instructions, it lasts maybe three times as long if you store it in the fridge. When we cleared our fridge out in preparation for a recent house move I found a pack that had been in there about three years. Out of interest I tried forming a new foot for an ancient B&D Workmate and it worked OK.