Help

I just passed my test and on agency and have a slider trailer with a 20 ft container sitting in the middle. How do I move the container to the rear for when I get to my delivery please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keebs26uk:
I just passed my test and on agency and have a slider trailer with a 20 ft container sitting in the middle. How do I move the container to the rear for when I get to my delivery please ?

Easy. Ask before leaving yard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

franglais is correct, most drivers will be happy to show you, then look on you tube, to clarify whats been said, a torch is good for checking the locks have moved / engaged. good luck.

Thanks guys but there wasn’t anyone to ask the yard was empty. I phoned the firm but they was no help. I guess YouTube it is thanks

You were sent out without them checking if you knew what you were doing, and you were not even trained?? :open_mouth:
Thought those days were long gone. :neutral_face:

Never done containers mate, so can’t help you …sorry.

Either

Pull the trailer brake and push the other button beside it in. The pins will retract. Then get in the cab and reverse. The trailer will shorten. Then get out, open the doors, pull the locking pin putton out, put the trailer brake off and reverse into position.
On any skelly trailer ive used, there is a housing on the offside just before the front axle which has a red button for the brake and the other is black, which is the locking pins button. You cant retract the pins without putting the brake on.

or

Take the red airline off, put it on the other line housing and the pins will retract. Reverse to shorten the trailer then put the red line back on the original housing and put your trailer brake off.

Make sure the trailer is level and definitely not on a slope or leaning either too far left or right. The pins might not fully retract, or one will and the other wont.
If you are on the flat and the havent retract, try reversing and pulling forward. This might free it up.

If the container is heavy, it might need a bit of welly as well.

One more thing, at the back there are twist locks for 40’ containers. You need to take the pin out, turn the housing over (lift it and let it back down at the back of the trailer) BEFORE you move the container back. Itll damage them if you dont

And only reverse in a straight line when shortened

Try to get as close/straight onto the loading bay before you shorten the trailer as manoeuvring can be a tad difficult if the 20ft is heavy…

Also as said above
CHECK REAR PINS (40ft) ARE DOWN BEFORE ANY BUTTONS ARE PRESSED…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mark1284:

+1…

Also, if your still unsure about things, stop at a service area, find another box jockey and ask them for advice. For the price of a coffee you could put a great many of your uncertanties to rest.

Climb up on the catwalk and then up on to the skell. Walk down the trailer and knock 3 times on the back of the container, should do the trick. Just make sure you don’t fall off when it starts moving.

Most UK smellys are like the above.

Have a good look round it for any instruction or data plates.

robroy:
You were sent out without them checking if you knew what you were doing, and you were not even trained?? :open_mouth:
Thought those days were long gone. :neutral_face:

Nope, standard fare for agency drivers. Turn up, nobody there, keys either on top of wheel or under bonnet. You can always tell the full time monkey who has just started agency by the meltdown they go into when that happens and there’s nobody in the office to tell them how to do the job and they have to think for themselves for possibly the first time in their driving career. The more experienced agency limper just picks up the keys, climbs in the cab and gets on with it.

yourhavingalarf:

mark1284:

+1…

Why this please? Never used a slider…

Steevo:

yourhavingalarf:

mark1284:

+1…

Why this please? Never used a slider…

All the weight…

Goes to the back of the skelly and it lifts the drive axle up. All you’ll do is slide and skid around whilst the trailer goes nowhere. It not so bad when the box is empty but loaded, make the shunt as short as possible.

Conor:
You can always tell the full time monkey who has just started agency by the meltdown they go into when that happens and there’s nobody in the office to tell them how to do the job and they have to think for themselves for possibly the first time in their driving career. The more experienced agency limper just picks up the keys, climbs in the cab and gets on with it.

Yep
And whats more, the limper will get on with it and figure it out while the FT driver refuses to move till hes been told exactly what hes to do