Help with trip to spain

hi all i have got a really cracking job in august when i will be driving from truro to lescarla (just outside girona )taking about 3 and a half days my load will be my wife and 2 hopefully well behaved kids and our caravan . the first day will be getting to dover or ashford and probably just into france and the third night i thought about stopping in or around toulouse which would leave us about 180 miles for the last morning . which way would you go down (not fussed if it is peages or not )and where would you stay on the first night ? dont mind staying on aires as long as we are safe . usually drive to dijon from calais in a day and bourdeaux from roscoff no problems so doing longer distance one day than the other isnt a problem . any advice will be appreciated .

If you are going from Dover /Calais/ Dijon. Stick to the autoroute Nimes / Perpignan/Le Jonquarra…Be carefull when you start off in France. From the Friday 27 August til Tuesday 31 August France will be one big jam going South. Everybody in France gets the whole month of August off. Plus all of Northern Europe moves South thru France as well.

Why aren’t you shipping out throgh Poole or Porsmouth?

Harry Monk:
Why aren’t you shipping out throgh Poole or Porsmouth?

beause it is too expensive to go that way dover is so much cheaper and it doesnt add that much mileage considering it will be over a thousand mile trip anyway
plymouth-roscoff £730
portsmouth -caen £670
poole-cherbourg £570
dover -calais £132
ashford- calais (eurotunnel ) £154
so its obvious we would want to go via ashford or dover on a financial basis

Try LD Lines,Ports/Le Harve , usualy the cheapest .

kerbut:
Try LD Lines,Ports/Le Harve , usualy the cheapest .

it is still over double the price of both ashford (eurotunnel )and dover also my wife does not like long ferry journeys but can stomach a short one

Then for the extra couple of bob take the Chunnel. You save at least 2 hours .

Hi Matt

I go to L’Escala every year, i would reccomend the following route

Calais - Paris A1
Paris - Orleans - Clermont Ferrand A71
Then the A75 from Clermont, this takes you all the way down to the A9 by Beziers
From Beziers straight down the A9 to La Junquera.

I find this route shorter, less of a boring drive and cheaper. Plus you get to go over the bridge at Millau.

If you need any info regarding L’Escala let me know as i have been going there for the past 20 years

Hope you have a good trip

thanks mike for that we are going to take 2 and a half days to go down where would you stop off at is there anywhere that you would recommend
we are staying at camping las dunas have you stayed there

How long you on holiday for?calias to the spanish border going via the above route is 750ish mile,take an average of say 50mph(autoroute all the way)make 15 hours that makes 15 hours driving,and maybe an hour and half to l`escala(did the same for ten years or more)two days or less.The trick is to get through paris ate th “right” time.

Hey Mikey 1 do you know Montgo Bay first went there in 1971, that area is one of my favourite places in the world, still a well kept secret?

froggy:
How long you on holiday for?calias to the spanish border going via the above route is 750ish mile,take an average of say 50mph(autoroute all the way)make 15 hours that makes 15 hours driving,and maybe an hour and half to l`escala(did the same for ten years or more)two days or less.The trick is to get through paris ate th “right” time.

we are on holiday for 2 weeks on the site but will be nearer 2 weeks 5 days with travelling what time is best for paris early hours i presume

Paris is good after 1900 until 0530. But I have heard that the road to take out of Calais takes you down to Rheims area & across to Le Mans & on to the Bordeaux road. I have never used it but I heard its Autoroute all the way & cuts out Paris…Because at the time of year you are going Paris can be jammed at Midnight with all the tourists going South.

Millau bridge is spectacular
bit slow with 40t but worth the veiw not having done Spain before
needless to say down the western side next time

But in a low car you see nothing until you go to the official parking place. I loaded once in Millau for Casablanca.

is the millau bridge a toll bridge go next wednesday cannot wait

matt f:
is the millau bridge a toll bridge go next wednesday cannot wait

Yes! but well worth the drive to see it.