Help with old MAN

Ok so, atm I’m driving a 26 ton man 285 that’s all I know, 2004 model, concrete mixer if it helps, the problem is it keeps cutting out if I floor loud and go pedal and go past the green band into blue, which is where the pulling power is on this model,a bit revy, and even when I’m loaded, it’s worse, i can only Rev to 2 thousand, before you hear a change of noise in engine and it cuts power as if it going in a state of limp mode (apparently it’s not ecu controlled, so not sure what to make of this problem) I seem to think it’s a cooling problem, like overheating I’m not sure, was just wondering if anybody can shed some light some idea’s as to what it could be? Thanks guys,

The green band is where the maximum torque and best economy will be found, staying under power up into the blue band (best deceleration with exhaust brake) won’t gain any pulling power, unless there’s something wrong, all you’re doing is wasting fuel and making lots of noise.
Try changing up at about 1500rpm, see how you get on.

Sorry but it might be the best Eco in the green band but it will not pull if I change at 1500 that’s not even when it starts to pull, it starts to pull at 1700 and then the ideal change is 2200 - 2300 and then it is back in the green at 1700 to pull again if you get me, it’s underpowered unit so like I described its a bit revy to get the girl going, but now I can’t do that I have to change at 2000 with 3/4 throttle which then brings it down to 1500 and it struggles to then get into power again to pull, if I make sense. All do it doesn’t cut out into a limp mode state, when it does cut out it makes a deep drone noise if it helps, and if I push clutch in, let it coast tick over for a second or two it’s back to life no limp mode as such,

liberally apply white spirit over engine, retreat and flick lit match.

How many revs are you expecting it to reach then? IIRC the engine in the MAN M2000 (6x2 rigid made between mid 1990s and about 2005/6) revved to about 2400, however there was a reduction in the rate of increase in fuel delivery and hence a tail off in acceleration over 2000 rpm. However given that it is a mixer chassis so operates in a dirty and dusty environment, perhaps it needs checking to ensure that it has got an adequate and clean supply of fuel and air. Following that the throttle pedal is exposed to a lot of contamination in this type of vehicle as are the cab bulkhead electrical connections which occasionally give performance related trouble on this model.

Sounds like fuel starve ,have you changed the fuel pre filter.

Get gummed up with bits of muck and most times only main filter gets changed.

Well it starts the red band at 2500 to 3000, I don’t Rev it to 25 I usually Rev it to 2300 max, and then it goes to 1700 in next gear which is where it seems to pull a lot better, it’s almost the same characteristics as a petrol engine, it won’t pull when loaded below 1500! Just annoying problem that’s all that has me baffled

Last time I tried to help an old man was at dominoes. Daft old fool was sat next to me and winked at me.

I whispered to him " Why are you looking so chuffed? "

" Ive only got double blank left Son " he replied.

I explained quietly to him that if he turned it over that its a five and three. Chap was fuming.

I’m no mechanic, but it sounds like the engine is not getting enough fuel when it really needs it.
Plus I would have thought that a 2004 truck would have some form of EDC controlled by an ECU.

damoq:
I’m no mechanic, but it sounds like the engine is not getting enough fuel when it really needs it.

That was my first thought also. Are you sure it’s not and electronically controlled pump. I thought at that vintage it would have a vp44 pump with Bosch electronic control?

There used to be a gauze filter on the M.A.N’s.
Check and see if it’s on yours and if it is then unscrew the plastic housing,take out the filter and clean it thoroughly.
Guarantee if it’s fitted to your truck then this is most likely your problem!

hi am looking forward to purchase a 2009 model Mercedes Benz actros 2551 6x2/2 to be doing gcw 48t mountainous terrain at 120,000 kms per annum. What are the pros and cons in terms of performance, fuel consumption, add blue usage,maintenance. What about 2011 man tgx 26. 440 6x2/2 doing the same work. Container haulage on high way. In need of advice… So I can choose one.

Routy22:
the problem is it keeps cutting out if I floor loud and go pedal and go past the green band into blue, which is where the pulling power is on this model

No it isn’t. The green band is where the maximum torque is. Go above the green band and the torque rapidly drops off making doing so about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Driving outside of the green band does nothing but turn diesel into smoke. The only time you should be above the green band is when using the engine braking/exhaust brake.

LEARN TO DRIVE.

Did you ever sort the problem out?