Help with mindset

On Friday a guy came to the office asking for a defect book for a blown headlight bulb. The clerk (a driver) said he didn’t need one. What do i do then? At which point i piped up by saying you are a driver, you change it! The guy said i am not a driver, i am a chauffeur so i just steer! I just looked at the clerk as if to say ‘seriously■■?’

last night at carnforth i just happened to spot a Volvo FH12 with a blown headlight and a while later a flatbed recovery truck parked next to it. Then i noticed the recovery driver under the FH fiddling around so i wandered over and asked if they were trying to fix the bulb which they were. I showed them both how to do it and had a chat with the driver. Apparently they are not allowed to carry spare bulbs, fair enough but now he will anyway since he can do it himself. A few drivers i spoke to the other day wont do it as its not their job. That’s a mechanics job! Plus it covers them if stopped as they then have a signed bit of paper saying the truck is fine to take out which renders their signed off checksheet utterly pointless :unamused:

apart from trampers for obvious reasons, am i the only one who cant get their head round this? If i have a bulb out i automatically change it and don’t even mention it. I just cant see it any other way even though i know there are companies who forbid drivers from changing bulbs. Why call out a mechanic for such a simple job? At a VOSA checkpoint they are risking a fine, PG9 and call out fee plus downtime while you wait For a bulb!!! I just cant understand why any driver or company would choose to do that :open_mouth:

Our place we’re not allowed purely because Renault bulbs are so hard to replace, you have to take off half the bumper and if you don’t get head light fixture correctly screwed back in it falls onto road. They cost 200-300 to replace.

I think i’m in the same mindset as you. A can do attitude.
If someone dosn’t know how to do something but willing to ask, Then fair enough. If someone dosn’t have the right tools but would normally be willing to do the job, Then fair enough.
But then there are those that shouldn’t be anywhere near a lorry.

Some drivers will fill out a defect book with a blown headlamp bulb, Then set off down the road. That’s just plain thick.

If i was in the same position as the bloke you’re on about, I’d have asked for a new bulb and a couple of spares.
Why do some places take these people on?

Madness, it’s the only possible reason…

Cruise Control:
Our place we’re not allowed purely because Renault bulbs are so hard to replace, you have to take off half the bumper and if you don’t get head light fixture correctly screwed back in it falls onto road. They cost 200-300 to replace.

All the Renaults I’ve driven have been the easiest to replace out of any truck.

I quite happily change bulbs and luckily we are allowed to. There are some fleets that forbid the driver from doing anything to the vehicle.
Also it depends if the driver has tools to get to the bulb.

Cruise Control:

Just curious, But have you had a look yourself or has some office pleb told everyone that this is the case?
Most newer lorries are a doddle to do, But i’ve never had a renault.

No tools required to change a headlight bulb on a Volvo and an axor is even easier. Tail lights are crosspoint or torx. A screwdriver with 12 different tips should provide access to any tail light bulb and not all trailers need a tool at all. Some are the twist to lock type and a lot are held on by a rubber fixing which needs easing out and back in. I know some are a pain but its the attitude that i cant understand, not the physical technicalities. Assuming the driver could do it, why would the company or driver object when it saves so much trouble? That’s what i just cant get my head round

Its part and parcel of the transition from lorry drivers to steering wheel attendants.

Some companies won’t allow anyone except trained staff or mechanics to change bulbs, up to a point i can understand why as some people can’t even change a bulb.
Over the years i have found headlight bulbs in upside down and twin contact bulbs in single contact fittings and vice versa and silver foil in place of fuse, some people with licences shouldn’t be allowed within a mile of a lorry.

Each company has its own policy, good drivers arn’t wanted anymore at some places, they want little drones they can program, then they seem surprised when thats exactly what they get.

Juddian:
Each company has its own policy, good drivers arn’t wanted anymore at some places, they want little drones they can program, then they seem surprised when thats exactly what they get.

Sums it up perfectly.

When I get two wages I’ll do two jobs, until then “where’s that defect book?” :grimacing:

Darb:
When I get two wages I’ll do two jobs, until then “where’s that defect book?” :grimacing:

It is one job.
That’s like saying “it’s someone elses job to secure the load”.

limeyphil:

Cruise Control:

Just curious, But have you had a look yourself or has some office pleb told everyone that this is the case?
Most newer lorries are a doddle to do, But i’ve never had a renault.

Somebody has been telling Cruise Control porkies , Renault headlights are a piece of ■■■■ to change !

Darb:

I bet you pay halfords to fit your car bulbs too.

Darb:

in the depot 100 miles away while the Gestapo are 100 metres away rubbing their hands together cos lunch is on you :smiley:

limeyphil:

Darb:

It is one job.

No it’s two jobs, securing a load is part of your job, repairing the truck isn’t :unamused:
So first prize for worst analogy yet for you sir :grimacing:

m1cks:

Darb:

No, that’s what our lass is for :wink:

scanny77:

Darb:

in the depot 100 miles away while the Gestapo are 100 metres away rubbing their hands together cos lunch is on you :smiley:

They can have dessert too, they earn it :grimacing:

I drive vans /7.5t for which im paid as little as I legally can be paid on a as required basis , and I drive !! ,when he pays me fitters wages I will change bulbs /tyres etc and do any other roadside repairs .until then he gets the minimum same as I do .simple

Darb:

limeyphil:

Darb:

It is one job.

No it’s two jobs, securing a load is part of your job, repairing the truck isn’t :unamused:
So first prize for worst analogy yet for you sir :grimacing:

m1cks:

Darb:

No, that’s what our lass is for :wink:

scanny77:

Darb:

They can have dessert too, they earn it :grimacing:

Making sure your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition is the drivers responsibility.

It seems to come down to the interpretation of a drivers duties and there is clearly a divide in opinions. I was trained to self recover where possible ie bulbs, fuses, wheels and anything that can be temp bodged with bungees and a roll of black nasty. We don’t carry spare wheels but i will change bulbs and fuses. I carry spares in my car too for exactly the same reason

scanny77:
It seems to come down to the interpretation of a drivers duties and there is clearly a divide in opinions. I was trained to self recover where possible ie bulbs, fuses, wheels and anything that can be temp bodged with bungees and a roll of black nasty. We don’t carry spare wheels but i will change bulbs and fuses. I carry spares in my car too for exactly the same reason

Do you still climb under trailers with your torch when you’re doing your daily checks? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(only the really old-timers here will remember this one).

scanny77:

It also comes down to respect, I would change a gearbox on the hard shoulder in rush hour for a boss I respected and felt he respected me !! :smiley: