Help with fuse

hello there,
as an agency driver, i really rely on my my tomtom 7100. i want to ask help from you guys on how to change the fuse if the lighter went off. its one of my worst case scenarios and it really stresses me out[ when i think about it]. is it same for daf, scania, mercedes and others. or not.

which fuse?
The 1 in you TT ■■■ lighter lead?
The 1 in the trucks fuse box?

Any agency driver is just an old boy scout, they always come prepared with a few spares in the work bag

ah yes, sorry for that,
the one in the vehicle

HeavyOwl:
…its one of my worst case scenarios and it really stresses me out[ when i think about it].

Get a grip… and a map.

i’m very new to the hgv world.

peirre:
Any agency driver is just an old boy scout, they always come prepared with a few spares in the work bag

the most usefull tool i’ve had in my flask, is a flat head screwdriver. God! its saved me soo many times.very handy for breaking seals off aswell, sometimes they go OTT and put a seal on nearly every strap [ when its a taught liner ].
BUT you’re right, i need to buy a box of fuses. but i dont knw what to do with them?

Contraflow:

HeavyOwl:
…its one of my worst case scenarios and it really stresses me out[ when i think about it].

Get a grip… and a map.

absolutley right. but i’ve always had one problem with a map, its " where the heck am i !".
i am one of those who probably get stressed out too easily. nevertheless, after 3 years, doing van, then 7.5, class 2 and now finaly for a year and a half, class 1. too many new places. mind you i know alot of my docks. bootle, heysham, even Cairryan.

Suggest you start off by finding where the fuse box is on everything you get given to drive if it bothers you that much. And keep a couple of paperclips and a bit of tin foil handy, with them you can simulate any fuse (blade or cartridge) as an emergency repair. I didn’t tell you that though.

It has been known for me to use a bent paperclip as a temporary repair for the lighter fuse in my car. It was a real emergency though - I had a 400 mile drive ahead and the kids had no DVD player to watch! Best to only do that if the thing you are plugging into the lighter socket is itself fused.

Before someone points it out, “simulate” is the wrong word. “Make it work regardless removing the device that will prevent the wiring catching fire if there is a fault” is closer to the mark, but not sure there is a word for that…

what size fuses do you carry? how many different amp are they ? [ only for truck use]
is it just as easy as switching them out? or do you need to do anything else?

th2013:
And keep a couple of paperclips and a bit of tin foil handy, with them you can simulate any fuse (blade or cartridge) as an emergency repair.

Terrible advice. If you’re going to follow it (rather than just look at a [zb]ing map) then make sure you’ve got the fire brigade on speed dial and make sure your boss has got deep enough pockets to pay for any road resurfacing that may be required.

As a little anecdote, when I was sparkying, I got asked to go to the local Indian takeaway to renew a socket plate. I went to pull the fuse out, and burned the tips of my fingers, it was so hot. When I looked at it, there was a piece of 2.5mm copper wire in it. I checked the others, they were all the same.

When I mentioned this to the owner, he said they had to do this, if they used the correct fuse wire ‘he go bang!’

Exit stage left, after leaving them a non-compliance form, and advising them to get the whole place checked ASAP.

Never heard back fr them, and the place is still standing, so don’t know what he final outcome was…

Gary

HeavyOwl:
what size fuses do you carry? how many different amp are they ? [ only for truck use]
is it just as easy as switching them out? or do you need to do anything else?

I don’t carry any. I check everything important works at the start of the shift and try to make it someone else’s problem to fix it if possible!

Yes, it is just as easy as switching them out. But keep in mind that something made it go in the first place. Usually a human with a bit of metal in the wrong place, or water got in somewhere, or someone fitted the wrong rating fuse last time around! The ‘hacks’ I mention above would only be for if I was in the middle of nowhere and was desperate e.g. headlights stopped working

couldnt you just pull a fuse out, say for something non important, and change it with your lights one, im guessing nothings more important than your lights, on nights, on the a75? if so, what fuse can you pull out? apart from the cigrette lighter one of course.

HeavyOwl:
BUT you’re right, i need to buy a box of fuses.

no you dont, just buy yourself at least 1x 5amp, 1x 7.5amp, 1x 10amp, 1x 15amp standard blade fuses, total cost around 50p find the fuse box, its usually where the passenger side glove box "should" be, some are down by your knee under the steering wheel. pull/open it up, if your lucky there will be a diagram with a list of fuses corresponding with the fuse box in front of you. If you cant figure out which fuse is for the ■■■ socket, slowly 1 by 1 work your way along the fuses (using a key or screwdriver) and pull each 1 out, if blown, replace it. If its ok put it back where you got it. only do 1 fuse at a time so you dont mix em up. Hopefully youll find the right fuse & fix it

HeavyOwl:
BUT i dont know what to do with them?

If your not confident enough to do the above, leave well alone

thank Peirre!

what amp would i need, for 12 volt lighter, 12 amp? is amp and voltage the same?

Just ordered these amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 … UTF8&psc=1

Contraflow:

th2013:
And keep a couple of paperclips and a bit of tin foil handy, with them you can simulate any fuse (blade or cartridge) as an emergency repair.

Terrible advice. If you’re going to follow it (rather than just look at a [zb]ing map) then make sure you’ve got the fire brigade on speed dial and make sure your boss has got deep enough pockets to pay for any road resurfacing that may be required.

Very very true, and with todays plethora of management graduates about probably the quickest way to become acquainted with your P45.

i used to allways carry a bag full of blade fuses when driving class 1,one of the classics was swapping trailers at night and forgetting to turn the lights off before connecting electrical leads,that was allways a good fuse blower.

Halfords sell a card with assorted blade fuses in the two sizes. Very cheap.

But seriously, OP, think of something else to worry about. I struggle to imagine a tom tom causing the fuse to go in the first place. Current draw so low. If it works when you sets off, it will 99% of time work for the shift.

Last Sunday my TomTom crashed ‘somewhere’ in Liverpool and actually became confused where I was and was spouting all kinds of rubish at me. So I reverted instantly to my back of envelope with the planned route on. Whatever anyone says I still check a map and take notes of the main aspects to the route before leaving.

If you are a born worrier then maybe get yourself a smartphone too so you have a fallback (obviously without height and weight limit help)

Regarding likelehood of fire - it’s all down to probabilities. Fault between alternator feed and chasis = fire, whatever. Unlikely, so acceptable risk.
Fault between fuse box and ■■■ light socket = fuse goes. Still unlikely, the two feet (max) of wire would need to meet earth. Acceptable risk.
Fault with device that is plugged in that has fuse in plug- fuse in plug goes, much more likely.
I did comment above that bridging the fuse fox and using an unfused appliance is not a good plan. Equally doing any kind of hack without knowing WHY the fuse went is not a good plan. I notice someone else suggests finding the blown fuse using a screwdriver or key, which is exactly the same…and it the fault that caused the fuse to blow is still present will be interesting.

th2013:
someone else suggests finding the blown fuse using a screwdriver or key, which is exactly the same…

It was I, mainly because prying the fuse out requires nimble fingers, or finger nails.

The OP may be wise to consider getting an assortment (1 or 2) splitter sockets (2/3 way) and a hella male plug, to female ■■■ socket to he can adapt his TT to the various accessory sockets available on various trucks, a splitter will allow him to charge his mobile at the same time. A lot of this stuff can be found at truck trash accessory shops at MSA`s