Help with 24v Kettle

Afternoon Gents,
I’ve got one of those big red kettles, 24v 400w models with a cigarette socket adapter that has overheat cut out and automatically switches off once boiled. Twice this weekend the adapter overheated and the melted, the 8amp fuse on the kettle didn’t blow, nor did the fuse on the truck side. It was plugged in to a 24v plug on a 10 plate Volvo FH. Has anybody had similar problems or could it just be a faulty kettle?

SB

smokinbarrels:
Afternoon Gents,
I’ve got one of those big red kettles, 24v 400w models with a cigarette socket adapter that has overheat cut out and automatically switches off once boiled. Twice this weekend the adapter overheated and the melted, the 8amp fuse on the kettle didn’t blow, nor did the fuse on the truck side. It was plugged in to a 24v plug on a 10 plate Volvo FH. Has anybody had similar problems or could it just be a faulty kettle?

SB

no its a faulty user, cig lighter sockets are not rated at 400 watts

Many thanks for the fast reply. I’ve been lucky up to now with it but think its time for a change!!

SB

smokinbarrels:
Afternoon Gents,

Nothing adds up here. 400W @ 24V is about 17A, so I can’t see how the kettle can have an 8A fuse.

If the kettle is actually only taking 8A (i.e. it’s about 200W), then it should be OK on a cigarette lighter, though lighter sockets are absolutely ■■■■■ connectors and it may well be getting hot because it’s a making a bad connection, or there’s a bad connection inside the cable/adaptor which is getting hot.

Those kettles are a bag of cack. Get a kettle, and a gas stove with canisters. Quick as foook!

It could be that the kettle knew what his username on here was, and just wanted to impress him :smiley:

bigvern1:
Those kettles are a bag of cack. Get a kettle, and a gas stove with canisters. Quick as foook!

^ This

bigvern1:

That’s what I use but a lot of firms won’t allow them.

Sorry for any confusion, the cigarette adapter has a 8 amp fuse on it. The kettle itself isn’t fused. Could the overheating be down to a poor quality adapter? I was thinking about getting one of those waeco kettles, 24v 380w, a bit expensive but at least it won’t pack up when you need it!

Many thanks for all your help, SB

smokinbarrels:
Sorry for any confusion, the cigarette adapter has a 8 amp fuse on it. The kettle itself isn’t fused. Could the overheating be down to a poor quality adapter? I was thinking about getting one of those waeco kettles, 24v 380w, a bit expensive but at least it won’t pack up when you need it!

The 8A fuse will run very hot if you put 16A through it. Eventually it will blow, though it might take a suprisingly long time, and everything around it in the fitting will be very hot by then. Basically, your adaptor is not up to the job.

The waeco kettle should be OK, as it will have a plug of its own, and will take its 15-16A straight from the lighter socket. As everyone else says, gas would be much faster.

Maybe I’m just unlucky with them. I tried a few makes and they all gave up sooner than later. One never worked on day 1. :unamused:

i have a household extension lead …one end is anderson plug and other end standard 3 pin extension socket, my kettle and oven both have standard 3 pin plugs on with 13 amp fuse…the anderson is straight to battery with 30 amp fuse that end…no problems sofar (3 years),.+ :wink:

get yourself a wee one ring camping stove , they are dirt cheap, so is the gas for them , get a small kettle and do it that way , its a lot easier and quicker …

gadge:
get yourself a wee one ring camping stove , they are dirt cheap, so is the gas for them , get a small kettle and do it that way , its a lot easier and quicker …

Yep, I pay £5 for four canisters but as I said earlier, gas stoves are prohibited with lots of companies.

gadge:

I already stated this. Good idea though.

gadge:

I have had my stove 20 years, never let me down,did try and go all modern and use a kettle once,it didn’t last long,it must of saved me £££££ over the years.
I just take it apart now and again and blow jets through with my air line.

Harry Monk:

gadge:

Yep, I pay £5 for four canisters but as I said earlier, gas stoves are prohibited with lots of companies.

■■■■ 'em…

I had a big red Kettle and it lasted about a year, to be honest I was glad when it packed up as I thought it was crap and could replace it with another Waeco one like I had before. The Waeco ones have a mount that you can fix somewhere so you can fill the kettle and trundle along quite happily with it ready to go. If you fancy a cuppa at your destination flick the switch a few minutes before you arrive and it will be ready waiting for you. Because it is switched you can leave it plugged in and the wires and connections stay in good condition. It also seems to get the water a better temp. Also with the switch and indicator light you can see if the kettle has boiled whilst you were out of the cab, with a big red you don’t know if boiled a minute ago and is hot enough or hasn’t got there yet :unamused:

I did try a gas one once and although it boils a lot quicker I found it a faff to get the stove out, put the kettle on it and then pack it away again when done, plus it didn’t take long to use all my gas.

If you buy a Waeco and use it on the move don’t fill it right up or the water will slosh into the switch and knacker it, that’s what happened to mine.

smokinbarrels:
Afternoon Gents,

SB

Going back to my days with Fed Ex I also bought a 24v kettle and burned the wireing out. The mechanics installed a seperate 24v socket which ran straigh from the battery to allow the extra amperage. Then again even they said it should work on a ciggy lighter socket unless the vehicle’s 24 v socket is just that ! A power outlet but not a cigar lighter.

8wheels:
I had a big red Kettle and it lasted about a year, to be honest I was glad when it packed up as I thought it was crap and could replace it with another Waeco one like I had before. The Waeco ones have a mount that you can fix somewhere so you can fill the kettle and trundle along quite happily with it ready to go. If you fancy a cuppa at your destination flick the switch a few minutes before you arrive and it will be ready waiting for you. Because it is switched you can leave it plugged in and the wires and connections stay in good condition. It also seems to get the water a better temp. Also with the switch and indicator light you can see if the kettle has boiled whilst you were out of the cab, with a big red you don’t know if boiled a minute ago and is hot enough or hasn’t got there yet :unamused:

I did try a gas one once and although it boils a lot quicker I found it a faff to get the stove out, put the kettle on it and then pack it away again when done, plus it didn’t take long to use all my gas.

If you buy a Waeco and use it on the move don’t fill it right up or the water will slosh into the switch and knacker it, that’s what happened to mine.

Many thanks for the advice. I’ve been looking into a waeco kettle and from what I can see you need a minimum of 20amp socket for it to work correctly. I’m not sure what the rating a 10 plate FH is? I’d hate to splash all that cash and end up on the same position I am now!
Many thanks SB