Help wanted please

Hi for the last 6 months ive been driving an 07 plate daf 85 cf with a digi tacho. I’ve had no problems using the digi tacho as i leave it on other work & when i stop driving it goes back to other work unless i put it on another mode.
I’ve just been given a brand new 08 truck, same daf 85 cf although i’ve noticed when i stop driving & turn ignition off tacho goes to break instead of other work. I didnt notice this straight away & its shown that every time i’ve stopped i’ve taken a break.
Is this normal or is there a fault with the digi tacho?
Thanks in advance

i believe this is the way a lot of them are set now. no one knows why but it just is. don’t know if there is a fix at the tacho workshop or not but for now just try to remember to put it on other work, it will soon become habit for you, when it does become habit remember to put it to break for your 45 :blush: :blush:

Giblsa:
i believe this is the way a lot of them are set now. no one knows why but it just is. don’t know if there is a fix at the tacho workshop or not but for now just try to remember to put it on other work, it will soon become habit for you, when it does become habit remember to put it to break for your 45 :blush: :blush:

Hi mate the new tachos have been update to do just that. to go on break instead of other work as it was thought to be better as some drivers did not use the mode switch correctly. and what it does is to make you use it more

from TACHODISC

BEWARE OF NEW CHANGES TO DEFAULT SETTINGS ON DIGITAL TACHOGRAPHS

Most drivers trained in the use of digital tachographs will have been advised that the driver’s activity on the VU will automatically default to ‘other work’ when the vehicle stops moving.
Since September 2007 new models of digital tachographs are now being supplied with an additional option that changes the driver and co-driver activity mode default setting when the vehicle’s ignition is switched off. The activity for the driver will still default to ‘other work’ when the vehicle physically stops moving, but as soon as the ignition is switched off, the tachograph will default to whatever mode activity option has been programmed as the default setting.
Several vehicle manufacturers (including Mercedes and MAN) have opted to change this standard default setting to rest/break when the ignition is switched off.
If this is the case, the driver, if continuing to work after the ignition is switched off, must now remember to change the mode setting to other work or to record a period of availability if the card is left in the equipment.

If drivers are not yet aware of these changes, then they could be technically working whilst recording break - causing an infringement of the record rules.
It is possible for the operator to have the tachograph default setting re-programmed when the ignition is switched on or off. This can be carried out by an authorised tachograph workshop in around 15 minutes and does not require the equipment to be recalibrated.
The official advice is to check the default settings on all new vehicles registered from September 2007, when the ignition is switched on and off.

As already said the tacho is programmed to default to rest when the ignition is switched off, so no it’s not a fault with the digital tachograph it’s a fault with the numb scull who thought up the idea, I’m told it was the French who brought this bit of insanity about :unamused:

Apparently because a few people couldn’t remember to change the tacho mode to rest once a day at the end of the shift we all now have to remember to change the mode several times a day :unamused:

As Giblsa said it will soon become habit to change to Other work when you turn the ignition off, problem is in the dark you can’t see the display so I have to turn on the interior light and partly cover the display with one hand (because of where the light is positioned) so that I can see what mode I’m putting it onto :unamused:

Only a dumb ■■■ politician would think of doing this :imp:

I’ve mentioned this before, mine does it on a 08 plate Merc. The later 58 plates Mercs we have do not do it, neither do the 57 plates. I mentioned it to Road Range last week when i picked my truck up from service, their first response on being asked about tachos was “its nothing to do with us, its the night shift that serviced it” !!! Then they got a guy who ‘knew about them’, he went and had a word with the ‘tacho guy’ and came back with an answer…its a saftey feature, if you don’t want it to go to break then don’t switch it off. It can’t be changed. Changing it to other work everytime you switch the ignition off is no big problem really, the problem is actually seeing what the display shows as it goes off when its switched off.

Both our 58 plate Mercs default to other work when the ignition is switched off, but when you switch the ignition back on it automatically switches itself to rest

Mike-C:
I’ve mentioned this before, mine does it on a 08 plate Merc. The later 58 plates Mercs we have do not do it, neither do the 57 plates. I mentioned it to Road Range last week when i picked my truck up from service, their first response on being asked about tachos was “its nothing to do with us, its the night shift that serviced it” !!! Then they got a guy who ‘knew about them’, he went and had a word with the ‘tacho guy’ and came back with an answer…its a saftey feature, if you don’t want it to go to break then don’t switch it off. It can’t be changed. Changing it to other work everytime you switch the ignition off is no big problem really, the problem is actually seeing what the display shows as it goes off when its switched off.

Just a quick update. Had a phonecall today asking me to take my truck into imperial commercials in bristol to change the default setting. It was going onto break when ignition was switched off, took them 2 minutes to change it to go onto other work instead.

So it appears the default settings can be changed :laughing: