Help - Training hours

Hi guys,

First post here but been lurking for a while.

I’m ready to start my class 2 training, but the company I’m looking to deal offer either 14 or 19 hours, I’m a complete novice with LGVs but have driven LWB Transits and Landys with a trailer. MY question is… is 14 hours likely to be enough (2 hours of that is reserved for test so really 12 hours), or is it worth forking the extra £300 out for the extra 5 hours?

Based near Hull.

Cheers lads, see you on the road
M

Its one of those questions that only you can really answer. Given what you have driven you will have the basics, extra width/length etc.

I went from years on 7.5 tonne to class two in 12 hours if that gives you an indication.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A decent training company will tell you how many hours you will need, is it one to one or two to one?

The saying, “don’t spoil the ship for ha’porth of tar” is valid.

Wheel Nut:
A decent training company will tell you how many hours you will need, is it one to one or two to one?

Why should that matter because if 2 to 1 that will be say a 28 hour with each doing 14 or 1 to 1 with just one doing 14 :question:

I would think a new larner is going to learn more with one instructor than him sharing his time between two

Wheel Nut:
I would think a new larner is going to learn more with one instructor than him sharing his time between two

Actually works better with 2 to 1 in my experience because the non driving one is still learning from the one driving

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

Actually works better with 2 to 1 in my experience because the non driving one is still learning from the one driving

Maybe for some. I did my class 3 with 2 trainees and class one on my own, first one was 9 days, with test on the 10, class one was 4 days with test in the afternoon of day four. Personal preference I suppose. Car training is one to one, bike training is normally 2-1 for the reason you gave.

SUFC Mark… I was similar to you and had no idea where or what to do when I picked my training company. I chose the company closest to me who ended up giving me a 2:1 training week which basically gave me about 13 hours training before my test. Needless to say I felt woefully underprepared for my test in particularly on roundabouts which I found extremely difficult to master and failed. I cannot afford the retest now which comes on top of Christmas so am well and truly stuffed until the new year. My advice to you is where ever or whoever you go with ask for a assessment drive before you sign up…All the best mate.

colcestrian:
I chose the company closest to me who ended up giving me a 2:1 training week

How did you find training with another trainee in the cab :question:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158087
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=158023

Our regular training course is 14 hours 1:1 for CAT C and 16 hours for CE. This allows a bit more time to get confident with the reversing and coupling/uncoupling.
Time on driving test is in addition to this.

Whether or not 14 hours is sufficient depends, to a great extent, on the quality of the training. In our case, all instructors are fully trained, registered and NVDIR qualified. None of this is a legal requirement and few “instructors” have followed that route. Our CAT C vehicles are all purchased new and their average age is 2 years. New vehicles are purchased each year to stay up to date. We had the first private driving test centre in the UK. Our centre features 2 reversing areas, both correctly marked and both used for driving tests. Our customer service team is second to none and it is their task to look after our valued customers every step of the way.

Generally, we’re not the cheapest. But look at the offers above and decide if we really are expensive!

My advice to everyone considering training is not to concentrate on price - though it’s obviously a factor. Have a look at the quality. And, if having a good training experience is important to you, make a decision on what you see. I frequently encourage folks to ask about us on the forum; we have nothing to hide. Better still if you’re able to visit. No appointment needed - just turn up.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing: