Help reversing from somebody in kent?

hello fellow pro drivers .help, I passed my class 1 in may and I am still driving my 8legger ro ro every day . I have done a few jobs with a trailer behind , wagon /drag set up and loved it , but am just about to start really hunting for a new job driving a class one everyday . problem is ive never reversed an artic except when training and on my test . don’t want to look a mug when I get in a seat of one and have to go backwards on to a bay or similar. training companys want over £200 just to have a go . can anyone spare 30mins to let me have a practice ? happy to buy brekkie , cover diesel and give a drink . bit saucy maybe ?

I’m terrified by exactly the same thing bud.

Trained at a first class place, but by their own admission, in a week, they could only train me to pass the test.

Loading bays, and even the thought of taking a break on an MSA scares the bejesus out of me.

Quite confident I could get one anywhere using forward gears, lol.

I’m clucking to have a go and im confident I can grasp it , just don’t want the first time I try to be at an interview, mess it up and look a mug . am happy reversing wagon/drag but im told that’s much easier than an artic. the reversing on the test is laughable , doesn’t prepare for the real world at all I reckon .

go for it and stop worrying , reversing an arctic is a lot easier than a wag and drag . the longer the trailer , the easier the reverse . just take your time and bugger those watching , they had to learn too!!!

catterall:
Training companys want over £200 just to have a go.

Maybe a good investment if you want to avoid a lot of anxiety.

Locally they charge £160 for a four-hour half-day.

Anyway, get a Banksman to watch you reverse.

If no Banksman and if in doubt - STOP - get out and look.

Eventually, reversing will just become second nature but some take longer than others.

Try not to worry about it too much. Always try and get the reverse on your good side so you can see down the side of the trailer. If your in a big yard then take all the space you need and go turn round to get on your good side if need be.
If your reversing onto a bay look for a tiny bit of rubber in each mirror and you should be lined up nicely.
If you ■■■■ it up, don’t be a ■■■■■ take a shunt!! Doesn’t matter how many you take and sod everyone else who may be waiting, they went through all this as well!
Good luck guys!

Oh yeah and another thing if there’s any shunters about go and have a chat with them and don’t be scared to ask for some advice.
I’ve learnt so much from just talking to other drivers its unreal!

Maybe you should have asked for some additional training ie…reversing if your not confident…just take your time matey it will come with time…even the big heads started out somewhere.

And don’t oversteer mate just use small movements on the steering wheel. That was my mistake at first think its everyone’s as the trailer doesn’t look like its moving at first but give it time and it does go where you need it… And to make it as easy as possible do most of the lining up while travelling forward if you can

I refused 2 full time jobs to do the job I am doing now for an agency working for Potters logistics for THIS reason. The job is shunting really from Potters yard 200 yards down the road to Greencore and then my shift is Greencore to stobarts sherburn in elmet, Leeds and Bibbys Yeadon. Basically I am uncoupling/coupling loading/unloading all night. Greencore yard is very difficult as they did not plan it for artics and that’s why I am doing this job so that I pick up this experience. The yard and bays are really tight and now I can even blindside with confidence. Last night someone came to show me back (in the dark) and then walked away realising that I could do it.

I would not waste your money as a bit of practice in one yard with one type of trailer will not benefit you. You may get a situation where you HAVE to turn an artic in a side road because the tom tom has took you on a silly route? yard practice will not prepare you for that. My job is hard work but I am glad I opted for this as uncoupling/coupling/unloading/loading/strapping loads and reversing are skills that I am developing fast and I have nly been on the job a week. I do about 11 trailers a night. :smiley:

rigsby:
go for it and stop worrying , reversing an arctic is a lot easier than a wag and drag . the longer the trailer , the easier the reverse . just take your time and bugger those watching , they had to learn too!!!

Very sound advice off rigsby if you do this you wont go far wrong.
regards dave.

If you want to come down my yard this Sunday morning about 10 you can have a go in mine. It’s between Faversham and Whitstable, just off the Thanet Way.

thanks for all the advice lads , nice one !