Help required. in trouble at work

Big Roy:
I’m presuming you don’t get a route sheet for these drops and there lies your main defence

“How can I be disciplined for going off route when there is no set route to follow?”

“Am I supposed to be a mind reader and try to figure out which way the TM would go; given the road conditions at the time?”

“In future all the drivers need a full printout of the routes that need to be taken to and between drops to avoid any further confrontation”

Keep a diary of any other confrontations you have with this prick in case you need it for any constructive dismissal claim

and if you don’t have union representation take a colleague in with you as a witness/ note taker to confirm exactly what is said or you can get stitched up by a word or phrase being changed/ added/ omitted

This sounds like we’re not getting the full story here - what aren’t you telling us OP?

If it’s a sackable offence ( whatever you are alleged to have done…) then worry… but fight it. Get the unions involved if you’re in one…

If it isn’t, then don’t worry! Simples

If you are completely and utterly sure that you have done nothing wrong then get the union in anyway and make the company look stupid. Next time, they might think first…

It appears to me that some jumped up teaboy is trying to justify his non-job and impress the boss.

As has been said previously, look around for other work regardless of the outcome. They don’t deserve you and you don’t deserve crap like that

There are things, very important things, that you need to do BEFORE you go into any meeting.

Have you got a disciplinary procedure in place?
Have you been given notice of the meeting in writing?
Have you been given an outline of the reasons for the meeting?
Have you been given enough time to formulate your defence / response to the accusations?

These are just a few of the things that you can do to slow things down and make sure that you have been treated fairly. In my experience, these things stem from a bit of muscle flexing and little to do with correct procedures, Employees have far more muscle than employers seem to think. Play the game right and it will give you more options.

H.

jc69817:
I wasn’t late as we don’t do timed deliveries. I have however been called in for a disciplinary hearing. So need some independent thought on the matter.

I would contest the disciplinary based on one fact. If they want you to get to a customer a certain way they should tell you.

Vid:

Big Roy:
I’m presuming you don’t get a route sheet for these drops and there lies your main defence

“How can I be disciplined for going off route when there is no set route to follow?”

“Am I supposed to be a mind reader and try to figure out which way the TM would go; given the road conditions at the time?”

“In future all the drivers need a full printout of the routes that need to be taken to and between drops to avoid any further confrontation”

Keep a diary of any other confrontations you have with this prick in case you need it for any constructive dismissal claim

and if you don’t have union representation take a colleague in with you as a witness/ note taker to confirm exactly what is said or you can get stitched up by a word or phrase being changed/ added/ omitted

I agree, it always rattles them that one, someone sitting there with a clip board taking notes :grimacing: and if there’s any shouting/raised voices quietly remind them that bullying and harassment is against the law and ask your rep to make a note of the incident in the notes

If it had been at night you would probably have been obliged to have taken the route you did to comply with the London Lorry Controls. Odds-on this idiot transport manager hasn’t heard of it.

Did you mean Wallington or Warlingham? The latter is a bit nearer to the M25.

You are entitled to be accompanied by a union rep or a colleague of your choice to the meeting so take someone with you, if nothing else it will inconvenience the company to have to delay someone else’s deliveries, however you will have moral support and a witness to what has been said. The company will have to delay the meeting if they cannot comply.

adviceguide.org.uk/wales/wor … eeting.htm

Piston broke:
This sounds like we’re not getting the full story here - what aren’t you telling us OP?

Yep,deffo more to this than meets the eye. A disciplinery hearing for going a route that the company just dont think is the best? Not buying it im afraid.
Sounds to me like they give you a set route they want you to take and you went another. And if it has been raised to disciplinery then have you done this sort of thing before and been told not to?
If they dont have set routes for you to take,why have they escalated it to this level? More details needed for accurate advice im afraid

What happens if you miss a turning, or take a wrong turn, would you also be in line for a disciplinary then too? :confused:

With no disrespect to the o/p this doesn’t sound quite right. If it is, then the company definitely isn’t right and time to part company, otherwise they can pull this stunt for every journey you make… Simply not on.

What is it with some of you lot telling the lad to say Sorry ffs :open_mouth:
Wtf for? What has he done wrong exactly, this is exactly why these limpdicks treat drivers as they do…Because you let them!
Tell him to go and ■■■■ himself and inform him you are looking forward to going into the disciplinary as you will show him up to be what he is a prick who thinks he has too much power for the reason I have given, and that you will tell the Manager or whatever why you took that route and justify it.
Don.t listen to Mary Poppins and her mates about apologising otherwise you have set the precedent for a worklife of hell.
What happened to the days when drivers actually had balls :unamused:

yorkshire terrier:
Boss sounds a bit of a p#+k.
Have you done anything else to upset him?
Sounds like he is clutching at straws to get you disciplined

Hmm I agree totally with this. What’s your past like with him? Sounds like he was waiting for ANYTHING to string your balls up from the ceiling

Wouldn’t be surprised if this disciplinary has a pre-determined outcome?
Don’t apologize for something that you haven’t done wrong and don’t loss your cool.
Appeal if it doesn’t go you way.
Ask and keep notes from the disciplinary meeting.
If you get sacked at some point consider taking to court for unfair dismissal.

And when you come into work for your next run ask for a run sheet or route plan. If you didn’t have one for that day how can he discipline you, there were no clear instruction to follow and hence break from?

robroy:
Tell him to go and [zb] himself

Love it, the voice of diplomacy will always win through :smiley:

I think you had better go in with him robroy, that’ll set the cat amongst the pigeons, they’ll all be quivering wrecks by the time you’ve finished with them :slight_smile:
Oh and don’t forget to tell them that you’re a real driver, proper man etc , that’ll swing it :wink:

htfc1984:
Personally I would tell him to get [zb].

+1

a bit pathetic a disciplinary just for this, not sure what traffic report was that day, or maybe a cooleaque friens ect gave you some news that traffic was bad in a certain area ect, accident? anything, and you took a dynamic risk assesment and chose a different route so as not to delay delivery ect…

make sure if you take someone in that they can take notes too or even take them yourself, and get them signed by the TM before you leave… Ive been on disciplines where the office bod ect and in cases fellow drivers have taken the notes only for the important parts being missed out… I once went in with a guy on a disciplinary and took notes, when it all got typed up by the company certain things were added to make the guy look bad and other things taken away, i had managed to get my notes signed as a record and as i went to get a photo copy also got a copy of their own notes,… which definately did,nt match my own or what was written up… cover your arse…

Pimpdaddy:

htfc1984:
Personally I would tell him to get [zb].

+1

+2…just tell them to sod off…multidrop jobs around London would need to be 10 a penny…don’t lower yourself to apologise.if you were on a beancounter type route assessed job,then your at fault as its in black and white what route to take,otherwise your the decision maker for routing.

The most important thing the OP should do is pay no attention to the predictable, stereotypical lorry driver ‘I’d tell him to go and [zb] himself’ garbage. Because doing that would really help the situation, wouldn’t it?

I am in the camp that thinks we are not hearing the full story here. But if we are, finding another job should be the bloke’s number one priority, not worrying about being disciplined for not following some instructions he’s never been given in the first place.

First and foremost attend the meeting with a Rep or colleague of your choice if the time is ok with all concerned.
You will then be able to assertain what it is your being pulled in for ?.
Let them put all their points and what ever it is you are supposed to have done wrong on the table.
They should have a typed up copy for you to read before hand if their professional.
If not get your rep or colleague to write everything down as they are saying it and when all accusations have been made by them and recorded by yourselves ask to adjourn so you can leave the room and have chat between yourselves.Then you can see what is his gripe.
It maybe the Greater distance between the different routes ? Cost of Fuel .?
Had you been given a defined route before departure in writing ?
If so why did you not use it ?
If not then you assume that you the driver will make the choice to get to destination on the day taking into account the traffic and congestion around that area on the Day within reason.
You have always done this and it’s not been a problem in the past but if this is changing then you need to be informed before you depart on a daily basis as to the way the company want it doing in writing for each route.
Be polite don’t loose your head and if they do ask for recess.
Your not there to be bullied and don’t tollerate it.
Good luck let us know how it goes.
Don’t accept any thing or disciplinary with out careful consideration even if it means having to call a separate meeting later in week after you had time to think things through.

What height is your truck. Blackwell tunnel North bound 13 ft. Any other issues o

sounds like a witch hunt

Right fair comments aimed at me…back pedal time. :smiley:
It’s just that all this airy fairy pc say sorry and don’t rock the boat crap does my swede in.
However I was actually speaking metaphorically not literally, going and telling him literally to go and ■■■■ himself admittedly could have an adverse effect to say the least, but I also believe saying sorry for doing nothing wrong is at the direct opposite end of the spectrum and equally as inadvisable for the reasons given in my last post.Go in there politely and put your point across confidently, safe in the knowledge you have done nothing wrong.
Is that better for you :unamused:
Also Cheers to Big Roy for acknowledging I’m a …real man :sunglasses:
I love you too x :laughing:

Btw didn.t realise Ol. Hai. I was a ‘stereotypical lorry driver type’…I’m gutted :cry: :wink:

Had similar ages ago, about two drops in Glasgow one urban route one motorways maybe 6 miles difference. I went the motorway route, never pulled up officially but boss tried to make me look like an idiot in front of higher up boss, i was trying to “hang it out” and wasting company fuel.

I said the “well there is no route planned” just get hit with we shouldn’t have to make the routes up for you, should know the best route. I just then explained as for time the urban route goes through countless traffic lights, some busy areas lucky to get above 10mph, takes a lot longer, will rack up time on the tachograph, the truck will drink fuel in constant stop start traffic and as for risk assessment advise by head office to avoid busy built areas when possible espec with 42ton loads.