Help Req-Stringing suzies up with bungee cords

Hi chaps,

Could someone tell me the smartest and best way to string up the suzies on me new truck using bungee cords? sounds stupid i know but thought id ask u more experienced people on here! The DAF im taking over is in need of some TLC after being abused by various drivers, and the suzies at the mo are all tangled and covered in grease-Really gets me back up!! Someone told me today at truckfest that the best way to clean them is using a bit of diesel on a rag?

Maybe someone has a photo of their bungeed up suzies?

AaronR

the easiest way i have found is to string one bungee from either side of the air deflector kit (near the top of the cab) and then hang the others from that, it will sag quite a lot but will ‘bungee’ the airlines out the way when they get a bit of slack in them.

the best way to clean them…ask the boss for new ones cos your unit keeps on showing faults :wink:

I found wet wipes do the business and you can get a pack of 100 for less than a quid at the market, you will also get a bag of bungee straps for 2 quid

diesel does take all the crap off them found it works a treat :wink: and its free as you can just dip a cloth in your tank :smiley:

as for the bungees get a long one,and attach it to stretch along the back of the cab horizontally,then tie a number of smaller ones to that so they hang down and hang your suzies off them,works a treat as you don’t get any more crap on them when spinning it around,etc :wink:

Dont the bungees scratch the paint on the back of the cab

Quite why, in this day and age, we still need THREE suzies to take electricity from the tractor unit to the trailer is comletely beyond me.

Harry Monk:
Quite why, in this day and age, we still need THREE suzies to take electricity from the tractor unit to the trailer is comletely beyond me.

I’m no mechanic but I’ll have a guess -
One is specifically for the trailer ABS - if it fails then the trailer still has ‘normal’ brakes and the failure of that line will affect nothing else - safety point :question: :question:

I’m going to assume that the two other electric lines also fit the above criteria - if one fails for whatever reason then not all light functions are lost :question: :question:

Never mind the 3 electric lines, what about two fuel lines disguised as susie’s running from a 300 gallon belly tank. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Anyone on here know what firm I’m talking about?

the way i bungeed up my suzies is

got 2 12" bungee cords, hang them from a corner or the air kit each side and hook 1 air suzie onto each one, the electric suzies, rnt ■■■■■■■ i just plug them in as normal, untangled and clean aswell, i wil take a picture tomora and upload it to show u !

has anyone one seen suzie covers that go over each line and stop them getting tangled and dirty - you can remove them and stick them in the wash - i seen a picture of them in picture forum , never seen them before so maybe it was a custom thing :confused:

AaronR:
Hi chaps,

Could someone tell me the smartest and best way to string up the suzies on me new truck using bungee cords? sounds stupid i know but thought id ask u more experienced people on here! The DAF im taking over is in need of some TLC after being abused by various drivers, and the suzies at the mo are all tangled and covered in grease-Really gets me back up!! Someone told me today at truckfest that the best way to clean them is using a bit of diesel on a rag?

Maybe someone has a photo of their bungeed up suzies?

AaronR

My advice would be not to bother, they get stretched like mad and the only time I’ve ever had airlines go is when the have been bungeed.

Just get nice new airlines and use them the way they were intended not stretched all over the place putting black marks all over the back of the cab. Make them look a mess too

All new car caravan/Trailer combos are now coming with a 13 pin plug system, doing away with the two power leads…

Can see this being adapted to trucks at some point, that way you will be down to 4 connections instead of the currant 5,

Coddy:
‘…combos are now coming with a 13 pin plug system, doing away with the two power leads … Can see this being adapted to trucks at some point…’

Another ‘simplification’ of our trade that’ll give employers cause to reduce wages even further?

merc0447:
has anyone one seen suzie covers that go over each line and stop them getting tangled and dirty - you can remove them and stick them in the wash - i seen a picture of them in picture forum , never seen them before so maybe it was a custom thing :confused:

One of our drivers uses them. I tried them, but they made the whole lot worse - as soon as the suzies stretch a bit the cover loses its shape. Also they seemed about as tough as her tights, and she only wears them once!!

For the electrics, make sure you have small coil leads - they don’t tangle as easily.

AaronR:
‘…Could someone tell me the smartest and best way to string up the suzies…’

I untangle the suzies on my walk-round - and before every tight manoeuvre. I’ve noticed that the fleet don’t have them saggy - so they don’t pick-up gunge, whilst the trailer fleet have lateral sliding connection blocks fitted: I broke a red-line a while ago having not checked their positioning …so I now see it as maintaining the vehicle’s roadworthiness even if it is half-way through a swing.

Aren’t suzie bungees a blokes equivalent of doilies - or a wrinkly equivalent of the trellis-work on a caravan’s cup rack?