Help regarding working/rest hours

Hi,

Only had my Class 2 a week and still trying to get my head around all the rules about weekly rest etc.

At the moment I’m employed as a van driver working…Mon 1300-2200, Wed 0900-1300, Sat 1700-2200 and Sun 1330-1830. Although it might be changing to 0900-1700 on the weds and dropping my saturday shift.

I’ve arranged to register with an agency tomorrow but the way I understand the rules, I would have to give up my current job and work purely for the agency? and just hope they can get me constant work?

A quick response would be greatly appreicated :smiley:

Mark.

Way I see it you have plenty of time to fit in some extra agency shifts as long as you take a full weekly rest within any 2 consecutive weeks and if you take a reduced weekly rest from 24 to under 45 hours then it seems you have many opprortunities to do the payback.

The weekly rest does not have to be taken at the weekend if that was your thinking

Current
Mon 1300-2200
Wed 0900-1300
Sat 1700-2200
Sun 1330-1830
Could do tue and every other thu or fri quite easily for agency

new?
Mon 1300-2200
Wed 0900-1700
Sun 1330-1830
Could do tue and thu plus every other fri or sat for agency - just one example on this - there are other conbinations

ROG:
The weekly rest does not have to be taken at the weekend if that was your thinking

Yes it was.

So if I took Tuesday as my day off that would instantly give me 24 out the 45 weekly rest hours? with my current job I do 23 hours a week so does that mean I could over do 22 with the agency to give me 45 a week, 90 a fortnight?

Thanks for your help Rog.

Mark28:
So if I took Tuesday as my day off that would instantly give me 24 out the 45 weekly rest hours?

That would give you a reduced weekly rest, which you can do every second week but would need compensating for later on.

Mark28:
with my current job I do 23 hours a week so does that mean I could over do 22 with the agency to give me 45 a week, 90 a fortnight?

The 45 hours per week/90 per fortnight refers to driving hours, not working. As long as you can meet the weekly rest requirements you could work more than 22 for the agency.

Coffeeholic:
The 45 hours per week/90 per fortnight refers to driving hours, not working. As long as you can meet the weekly rest requirements you could work more than 22 for the agency.

How would I go about recording driving time when driving in the van? as it’s multi dropping so stop/start driving. and 3.5t so no tachograph. I assume “rest” is just any time I’m not at work?

If the van is under 3.5 tonnes, which I assume it is, then all that van work is ‘other work’ not driving - might seem daft but that is correct

If you do anything that comes under the EU regs in any fixed week which is from Monday 0000 to Sunday 2400, then for the van days you work, a seperate record must be done for each of those days.
That seperate record is best done on the back of a tacho card using a seperate one for each of those days with your name, date, start & finish time on each one - nothing else.
It is so that VOSA/police can see that you have taken the correct weekly rest.

ROG:
That seperate record is best done on the back of a tacho card using a seperate one for each of those days with your name, date, start & finish time on each one - nothing else.

As there are already space on the front for your name and date, and bigger spaces than those on the back, the front is probably the best place. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

ROG:
If the van is under 3.5 tonnes, which I assume it is, then all that van work is ‘other work’ not driving - might seem daft but that is correct

It’s a 3.5t van as I can drive it on my car licence.

ROG:
If you do anything that comes under the EU regs in any fixed week which is from Monday 0000 to Sunday 2400, then for the van days you work, a seperate record must be done for each of those days. That seperate record is best done on the back of a tacho card using a seperate one for each of those days with your name, date, start & finish time on each one - nothing else.
It is so that VOSA/police can see that you have taken the correct weekly rest.

So I’d need to get hold of some blank tacho discs and draw the info on myself? Where do I get the discs from? then would I just draw on from my start time to finish and put it as “other work”?

As you can tell I’m totally confused so some dumbed down simple instructions are appreciated.

Mark28:
So I’d need to get hold of some blank tacho discs and draw the info on myself? Where do I get the discs from? then would I just draw on from my start time to finish and put it as “other work”?

Just write your name, the date, the start time and the finish time, that’s it. No drawing lines, no writing other work, nothing else.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

As there are already space on the front for your name and date, and bigger spaces than those on the back, the front is probably teh best place. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank coffee, One of those ASSUMPTIONS again :blush: I ASSUMED it had to be done on the back.

Coffeeholic:
Just write your name, the date, the start time and the finish time, that’s it. No drawing lines, no writing other work, nothing else.

Thanks. On the front or back of the chart?

Where can I order some blank charts from?

Mark.

Mark28:

Coffeeholic:

Thanks. On the front or back of the chart?

Either, but front makes more sense.

Mark28:

Most truck stops sell them as do some motorway service stations or you could ask at any company you do work for, failing that there is always ebay… Some companies only issue numbered in sequence charts to their drivers so often have charts they can’t use lying about.

Thanks for the help :smiley: great info for a newbie.

Mark28:

If you are going near to J23 M1 then go towards Shepshed and on the right, between the two sets of lights on the A512 there is DIGRAPH for all sorts of truck stuff including charts

Thanks Rog.