help please

hi all new here
heres my question hope you can help my son has only just pass his class 2 can he now go out and drive
or does he need any thing else he works for a frim as a van driver and they put him in for the class 2
thanks in adv

Has he done the dcpc modules 2 and 4 as he will need these before he can drive commerically

he doesn’t need it yet but it is in his benefit if he does his DCPC now as all drivers need this by I think its September of next year I may be wrong on the date but it aint long away.

trucker10:
Has he done the dcpc modules 2 and 4 as he will need these before he can drive commerically

thanks he say that he has not got modules 4 his boss says he does not need it but he does not want to risk it

johnboydor:

trucker10:

thanks he say that he has not got modules 4 his boss says he does not need it but he does not want to risk it

Did he have 7.5t on his licence before?

never listen to a gaffer! :wink: he will need DCPC to be able to drive anything other 3 and half tonne I think again! :confused:

He will need the CPC Mod 4 to be able to drive for a living. I had to obtain one before I went for any lorry jobs

No he doesn’t. Some firms prefer it, not insist upon it. We have til’ next year.

So glad I don’t live and work there anymore. All these stupid qualifications you need to get a truck from A to B :laughing:

ok thanks all for reply very helpful he said there no way he was going to put his taco card in the lorry
they ask him to drive as he doesn’t want to risk his new licence

If your son had any LGV category on his licence (a pre 1997 free C1 will count) on 09/09/2009 then he does not need to pass initial driver cpc modules 2 and 4

If he did not have any LGV on his licence on 09/09/2009 then he will need to pass mods 2 theory and 4 practical before he can drive LGVs commercially

Cost of both together is likely to be between £250 and £300

There are some dcpc exemptions such as if your son is driving the LGV from A to B and then using the stuff he has on it to do a job with followed by a drive from B to A at the end of the shift

thanks all he going to ring dsa in the morning theses things are not made very clear to me
thanks for all the replys

Pm sent to you

johnboydor:
thanks all he going to ring dsa in the morning theses things are not made very clear to me
thanks for all the replys

DSA driver cpc hotline 0191 201 8112 = they will give you the same answers as I and others have

the help you have all given has been very helpful and we would like to thank you all
this is a great forum to be with you have made us feel very welcome thankyou all

bigvern1:
No he doesn’t. Some firms prefer it, not insist upon it. We have til’ next year.

He needs it if he is in my age group and passed it after the grandfarther rights.

The only ones who have till 2014 are the ones who already had cat’s on the DL and are earning a living from it.

Saying that most firms request that there is 21 hours at least on the card

Your son should apply for a digital tacho card as most lorries are fitted with a digital tacho unit those days.I hope that he gets a career out of the work and expense that has been put in.