Help please

Hello everyone,
I passed my cat C licence in August 2011 and haven’t used my licence at all yet driving a cat C vehicle.
I haven’t done any CPC training either, but may have just landed myself a job driving a ■■■■■■■ 7.5tonne (but I will only be driving from job to job as most of my day I will be laying the tar mac)
My instructor told me (if I remember correctly) that if I was a scaffolder or on the roads doing road works etc that my CPC would not be needed? This was because I was not earning a living through driving but through scaffolding/groundworks and driving was just from point A-B to do my job. Is this correct■■? Help :smiley:

If you passed your car test before 1997 you are ok at the moment but will have to do your 35 hours before September 2014. If you passed after 1997 you will have to do your case studies and module 4 test.

Darn, :cry: not what I wanted to hear as I thought with this job I wouldn’t need it as I my job title is reinstater not driver and the vehicle was just being driven from job to job…I passed my test in 2000, many thanks for your quick reply though

Very grey area. IMO because you are driving from site to site and probably driving to different sites during the day you will probably need your Cpc. If you phone the DSA they probably won’t commit themselves on this and ask you to seek legal advice.

I would be with another 2 guys and we would be on the roads as this company has landed a contract for renewing all the lamposts in a county. I’m sure that’s what my instructor said. Would you advise me to ring the DSA?

If you keep posted other trainers will be posting on this.

You are clearly hoping to depend on Section 2.7 of the Guide to Periodic Training which covers exemptions from needing a CPC. The one you are depending on is

“carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle is not the driver’s principal activity.”

The problem is that the DSA or JAUPT will not give a ruling on individual cases. They say that a decision can only be be made by a judge.

My advice would be to take the fairly simple Module 2 and Module 4 tests and then you will receive your DQC card (CPC card basically) valid for 5 years. It is probably better than the possible hassle. It also means that if any other driving work comes up from time to time or you change jobs, you are ready to go.

LGVTrainer:
My advice would be to take the fairly simple Module 2 and Module 4 tests and then you will receive your DQC card (CPC card basically) valid for 5 years.

Ok thanks for replying to this, How much does this cost and how many hours do I have to do? Can you do this out of a working day? As I’ve just started a job a couple of months ago and would find it hard to take a week off to do this? (I wouldn’t take this new job) Don’t suppose they do this at weekends or evenings■■? :confused:

Case studies is done where you took your theory test cost£30. The module 4 should only take half a day including test. You need to contact a local trainer provider.cost for this should be around £200 including test fee.

Many thanks for all your help on this, and I apologise for being a nuisance and asking questions which your probably tired of hearing…
I thought I needed to do 35 hours not a day?? :blush:
Or when I do modules 2 + 4 will this cover my periodic training for 5 years?? I getting confused reading different things :confused:

karlos:
Many thanks for all your help on this, and I apologise for being a nuisance and asking questions which your probably tired of hearing…
I thought I needed to do 35 hours not a day?? :blush:
Or when I do modules 2 + 4 will this cover my periodic training for 5 years?? I getting confused reading different things :confused:

No you will still have to do some periodic training

Dont worry about the questions the only dumb question is the 1 you dont ask

You pass Mod 2 & 4 now. That will give you the CPC card valid for 5 years.

Before that 5 years elapses you must do the 35 hours. Then every 5 years another 35 hours.

load - drive 30 mins to jobsite - lay tarmac for 3 hours - drive 30 mins to next jobsite - lay tarmac for 3 hours - drive 30 mins back to base = no dcpc required

The driving in that example is deffo not the main part of the job

Start to add a lot more driving time and the situation changes

Thanks for your help everyone this is really helpful info. :smiley:

ROG:
load - drive 30 mins to jobsite - lay tarmac for 3 hours - drive 30 mins to next jobsite - lay tarmac for 3 hours - drive 30 mins back to base = no dcpc required

So there is 3 in the gang, one ganger one labourer and one driver( that’s how I see it)

To be the driver with no dcpc would be dodgy ground. My advice do the initial Cpc no dodgy ground!

elmet training:

ROG:

So there is 3 in the gang, one ganger one labourer and one driver( that’s how I see it)

To be the driver with no dcpc would be dodgy ground. My advice do the initial Cpc no dodgy ground!

Passing the initial dcpc is the best route but the example is not dodgy in any way

ROG:

elmet training:

ROG:

Passing the initial dcpc is the best route but the example is not dodgy in any way

I do a lot of training for a local authorities highways department and they insist on dcpc for there drivers.

elmet training:
I do a lot of training for a local authorities highways department and they insist on dcpc for there drivers.

thats because it covers all situations so therefore a sensible thing to do

karlos:
I would be with another 2 guys and we would be on the roads as this company has landed a contract for renewing all the lamposts in a county.

Sounds like a highways local authority contract which will no doubt have other driving duties.

Seems clear to me that cpc is not required. But I totally agree that, for the minimal cost involved, it would be sensible to do it anyway.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: