help please

Hi all,

today was my 3rd day of driving for a agency, and my 3rd day in total. So far its been ok but when I got back tonight they had a go at me for being 2 tonne over weight :frowning: now how do I avoid this? there was no weight bridge, no weights on the products and the fork lift drivers dont give a ■■■■ and just throw things on…any advice please.

thanks all

Very difficult thing to judge - depends on what sort of work you are doing.

Bulk tipping you should go to the nearest weight bridge.
If you are loading palletised goods the forkies should know the average weight or the loading notes should give you an idea - quick add up and if you think you are going to be over double check and then call the office.

Not easy to do if the forkies are throwing stuff on but you have to be firm.

You are liable for any overloading conviction as is the firm you are working for.

cheers, its building supplies. For the build centre, and the warehouse folk are not bothered so its hard.

I know its hard to keep track of all the bits they are loading but you need to get on their case and try and track how much goes on.

At the end of the day if they overload you are are within yours right to refuse to take the stuff out.

The biker is absoluly right, after all that load is your responsibility.

They may not give a tsos but sometimes you have to put your foot down and say i need weights or the loads going nowhere, if you are pulled its you in the brown smelly stuff.

They ought to know better as well.

The Builders Merchant I work for has the approximate weights on the tickets, scales on the forklifts and most importantly the management and the boys in the yard do care about getting it right. The forklift drivers question the weight before they even start loading most of the time if it’s in doubt.

I’ve been down the road of unprofessional firms in my last job and the advice I got on here was “get out of there”.