Help please

I’m just picking up a storage load and it’s heavy. 24 pallets each weighing 750kg and a few pallets of cases. Can I carry it legally weight wise,I know my GVW is 38000kg but I’m unsure on my unit and trailer weight before load if that makes sense. I still fairly green and learning. Appreciate your help guys.

Cheers

PS I’m in a Volvo FH and standard trailer, 3 axles each of that helps. :slight_smile:

Don’t know what sort of trailer you have but that and a unit would I thought be a max of 19 ton but probably lighter.

Just done my maths well on the calculator anyway you should be a max of 37t.

Edit that forgot you have a couple of other pallets that have an unspecified so how heavy are they ?

That was quick, I couldn’t get hold of my boss but he’s just said I can carry 28 ton. I too thought it was 20 ton. Anyone know how much a standard unit/trailer weighs unladen?

by my reckoning 24 x 750 kg = 18 ton…the average unit and trailer is ( lets say 15 ton ) brings you in around 33 ton + a couple of cases so looks like your legal if your company has the same outfits, might be worth asking a fellow driver, or the boss what the weight of a combo is, it will give you guidance for the future.

Your tare weight empty should be 15-16t I should imagine, so if you say 24x750= 18000, plus a few pallets… Crack on drive :sunglasses:

Godzilla41:
That was quick, I couldn’t get hold of my boss but he’s just said I can carry 28 ton. I too thought it was 20 ton. Anyone know how much a standard unit/trailer weighs unladen?

Unit will be about 8.7 t trailer about 9.5 t, that’s the upper end of approximately.

Actually I’m in fridge mode so curtain sider will be lighter .

Thanks for the clarification, helpful as always. :slight_smile:

Unit and trailer average 15t, so yes, sling it all on, you’ll be fine… :slight_smile:

Do the tyres look flat?? If not its OK to go.

Thanks for all the quick replies. The forkie planted doubt in my mind but the boss clarified it when he got back to me. Explained that it’s got 38500kg on the plate as it’s a old trailer but it goes off the unit mainly and amount of axles. In this case 6 axles so all was good in the end. :slight_smile:

magnum mark:
Do the tyres look flat?? If not its OK to go.

Tyres were fine :slight_smile:)

For the sake of a few quid spent at a weighbridge, get the tare weight yourself!

You’re the driver, it’s your neck if you’re over…

An ex boss tried that on with me…

Goldfinger:
For the sake of a few quid spent at a weighbridge, get the tare weight yourself!

You’re the driver, it’s your neck if you’re over…

An ex boss tried that on with me…

I wasn’t close to the limit but I’ll bear that in mind for the future. Thanks for your response. :slight_smile:

Godzilla41:
I’m just picking up a storage load and it’s heavy. 24 pallets each weighing 750kg and a few pallets of cases. Can I carry it legally weight wise,I know my GVW is 38000kg but I’m unsure on my unit and trailer weight before load if that makes sense. I still fairly green and learning. Appreciate your help guys.

Cheers

PS I’m in a Volvo FH and standard trailer, 3 axles each of that helps. :slight_smile:

Your a 6 axle outfit still at 38t? Surely you’d be at 44ton gross these days otherwise your bosses estimate at 28t is way off.

Daveyandbev:

Godzilla41:

Cheers

Your a 6 axle outfit still at 38t? Surely you’d be at 44ton gross these days otherwise your bosses estimate at 28t is way off.

It’s an old trailer which from I’m told will hold 28t and then with unit and trailer weight equals 44t. Old trailers are marked up with GVW 38500KG when In actual fact it’s 44t with a tri axles on unit and trailer. Hope that makes sense.

Godzilla41:

Daveyandbev:

Godzilla41:

Cheers

It’s an old trailer which from I’m told will hold 28t and then with unit and trailer weight equals 44t. Old trailers are marked up with GVW 38500KG when In actual fact it’s 44t with a tri axles on unit and trailer. Hope that makes sense.

The GVW of a trailer is the maximum gross weight the trailer can weigh without a unit on it 38500kgs, so thats 8000kgs per axle if its on air plus 14500 kgs imposed on the unit, then you look at the plate in the unit which may have a train weight of say 44000kgs, the unit dictates the gross weight depending on the trailer configeration.

weeto:

Godzilla41:

Daveyandbev:

Godzilla41:

Cheers

The GVW of a trailer is the maximum gross weight the trailer can weigh without a unit on it 38500kgs, so thats 8000kgs per axle if its on air plus 14500 kgs imposed on the unit, then you look at the plate in the unit which may have a train weight of say 44000kgs, the unit dictates the gross weight depending on the trailer configeration.

Thanks for your info on this weeto, where is the plate on the unit usually found?

Passenger side inside either on the door the seat base or behind the seat on the bunk base.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Where you in a fridge unit :question:

Who did you speak with Tommy :question: as if it was he will be right for all he is still young has been in & around transport a long time always been interested to know & find out he was on the road for a long time as well