Help Please: Initial DCPC

So I can find lots of information out there for periodic DCPC but sod all for initial, do we need the full 35 hours to begin with or do we do a lower amount initially and do the 35 over 5 years? Also is there A specific course for initial DCPC training or what? It’s all very confusing to me.

My training provider says they will do my initial DCPC for around £300 and not knowing a lot I don’t know if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

So any information you may have will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Sam

You need the full 35hrs before next Sept deadline then you can spread it over 5 years.

Spam-Javelin:
You need the full 35hrs before next Sept deadline then you can spread it over 5 years.

Before sept is nice to know, means I can start working and pay for it bit by bit once I’ve qualified

I think the first response misread your question.

Did you pass your car test before 1st Jan 1997? If so you will need to do periodic training which is the 35hrs, if passed after it’s initial DCPC which is a theory test & a practical test demonstration of walk round checks and load securing devices etc etc.

I would post more helpful things but frankly it’s late and I can’t really function like a normal human being right now :frowning:

What DJC is right - which is remarkable given the time of the post!

If you passed car test before 1997 you have C1 which is a sub-category of LGV so you have acquired rights expiring Sept 2014. That being the case you need to complete 35 hours of periodic training before that date. Do it sooner rather than later.

If you passed from 1st Jan 1997 you will need the driver cpc Initial Qualification. This is Mod 2 which is a case studies test taken at your local theory test centre followed by Mod 4 which is a practical demonstration test taken at the practical driving test centre. Most trainers will train for around 2 or 3 hours for this.

£300 isn’t excessive if you’re either getting 35 hours or the whole intitial training package. But if you’ve already got your Mod 2 then I would expect it to be nearer £230.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All is explained here = viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667#p503947

Brilliant! Thanks for the info