Help please! C E Training

Hello Everyone,

I am a bus driver and i am looking into getting my HGV Licence ( C E ).

I have passed the theory, hazard and cpc.

I am looking at getting training and the law changed in my favour i would say, i can go straight to C E without having to own C first.

I called a training company and i am not entirely sure if they are being honest or they are just trying to get more money, they said that i need to have training on a class 2 before i can train on a class 1, now i know that i dont have to pass C in order to get C E but training on class 2 before i can go to class 1 seems a bit stupid and they wanna charge 1.3k plus vat just for training on class 2 and then another 1.3k plus vat for class 1.

I honestly thought that i can go straight to class 1.

Can anyone that knows more explain please ? are they being honest or they are trying to get more money.

Thanks

In terms of exams, you can go straight to class 1, however most training providers still insist on giving some class 2 training. There are a couple of reasons for this, the main one being that it allows the learner to more gradually acclimatise to driving larger vehicles, but also allows them to learn how to maneuver class 2 vehicles in case they end up doing class 2 work once they have passed their test.

Since you already have a PCV licence, especially if you’ve been using it, you should already be able to handle a class 2 as there isn’t a massive difference between the two. When speaking to training providers tell them that you already have a PCV licence so would rather have more time dedicated to class 1 learning. They will still stick you in a rigid for a bit, but hopefully not as long provided you show them you can drive it safely

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
In terms of exams, you can go straight to class 1, however most training providers still insist on giving some class 2 training. There are a couple of reasons for this, the main one being that it allows the learner to more gradually acclimatise to driving larger vehicles, but also allows them to learn how to maneuver class 2 vehicles in case they end up doing class 2 work once they have passed their test.

Since you already have a PCV licence, especially if you’ve been using it, you should already be able to handle a class 2 as there isn’t a massive difference between the two. When speaking to training providers tell them that you already have a PCV licence so would rather have more time dedicated to class 1 learning. They will still stick you in a rigid for a bit, but hopefully not as long provided you show them you can drive it safely

I understand and as you said i told them that i dont need C 2 training as is not much difference, they want to charge full amount as Class 1, i could go on a road test and they can see, they dont want and they insist that they want me to go thru with C 2 training which is 1.3k plus vat and then another 1.3k plus vat for C 1 which for me makes no sense, i can prove that i can handle a rigid C 2 but i guess they just want my money.

If you’re booking C+E training, but they choose to put you in a C vehicle for a certain portion of that time, then you’re not being wrongly charged.

Their school, their vehicles, their risk, so their rules.

As Terry has said, a bit of discussion with them emphasising your PSV experience should clarify the situation.

Don’t forget there’s more than one HGV Driving School so you aren’t tied to this one company. But, that right there is where your options lie; choosing another school rather than trying to get the first school to cater specifically to your demands, which goes against their current setup.

EDIT: it’s not up to you to tell the school what training you need, that is their call.

StAr88:

Terry Cooksey:

I understand and as you said i told them that i dont need C 2 training as is not much difference, they want to charge full amount as Class 1, i could go on a road test and they can see, they dont want and they insist that they want me to go thru with C 2 training which is 1.3k plus vat and then another 1.3k plus vat for C 1 which for me makes no sense, i can prove that i can handle a rigid C 2 but i guess they just want my money.

They are not charging you more. Most school seem to be offering a full C+E course for around the 2.5k figure. There is no requirement to do any amount of training in a rigid in the sense of the law. However some schools may want to stick with some duration of the training in a rigid before progressing on to C+E training.

As you’ve said you are already used to a larger vehicle driving buses so I’d suggest that maybe only a day or 2 max in a rigid if they insist.

As said there are plenty of schools to chose from and if they won’t even entertain an assessment drive then I’d look elsewhere.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

StAr88:
Hello Everyone,

I am looking at getting training and the law changed in my favour i would say, i can go straight to C E without having to own C first.

I called a training company and i am not entirely sure if they are being honest or they are just trying to get more money, they said that i need to have training on a class 2 before i can train on a class 1, now i know that i dont have to pass C in order to get C E but training on class 2 before i can go to class 1 seems a bit stupid and they wanna charge 1.3k plus vat just for training on class 2 and then another 1.3k plus vat for class 1.

Can anyone that knows more explain please ? are they being honest or they are trying to get more money.

Thanks

I am a bus driver (3 years d licence and have towed caravans). The guys I am training with have allowed me to go straight into an artic as I have the experience driving deckers daily. As other have said every training centre is different. They might just want to see how confident you are in a c class first, so I wouldn’t say they are trying to get more money from you, they just want to do an initial assessment. They are taking a risk so do it in a way they are happy to do so.

If you don’t like the idea, maybe look around for another company to train with :slight_smile:

Quite. And a lot of this is influenced by the available fleet. Up till now, for 24 years, the demand has been consistent for CAT C. And then a proportion of folks would move onto CE. Thus, many schools have a fleet that is “C heavy”.

There is no extra hassle in going straight to CE - and especially not for a bus driver. To suggest he needs or would benefit from CAT C training initially is nothing short of an insult.

The PSTT course for CAT C or D driver is 20 hours incl reversing at a total cost of £1746. This takes account of the Trucknet user discount.

For that, you get:

Depending on viability of travelling, up to 5 hours reversing and 3a test on site
16 hours 1:1 training
Balance of training with one instructor and one vehicle
Driving test booked to coincide with the end of training - on site again.
All instructors registered and qualified (NOT the industry norm)
Spare vehicles in case of problems
Full customer care support from a dedicated team.
Pass Protection (£395) which covers you for 3 retests. Also, FOC, 3 retests on 3a!
Residential at no extra cost if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW

To organise dates, just call 01623 555661. £200 deposit required to secure dates. Balance due 2 weeks before start of training.

I’m in the office Tuesday morning this week (a relatively rare occurrence!) so, if you want, get calling and ask for me personally.

Hope this all makes sense. Dont get sucked into the hype.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

StAr88:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks

If they can’t understand that your bus experience negates any need for C training there’s no point arguing with them, just find someone else. £1,300 + vat twice is £3,120 which is nothing like the £2,500 everyone else charges for straight to C E
If you can’t find someone local, it sounds like PSTT understands where you’re coming from, will give you great training (according to reviews) and a fair price.

Missed the plus vat bit tbh.

OP are you sure you called an actual training provider and not a broker as it sounds like it may be a broker you have called that will charge you and just pass it on to a trainer that is the cheapest.

You couldn’t go far wrong with going with the forum sponsor PSTT for sure.

If you live more than 70 miles the accomodation is included for residential.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Another vote for PSTT here! They have been extremely helpful so far, and I will be training with them early next year! :smiley:

simcor:
OP are you sure you called an actual training provider and not a broker as it sounds like it may be a broker

Brokers… the scourge of the driver training sector. :imp:

OP may not even know what we’re talking about, so for their benefit:
The people you have spoken to, do they have a physical location where you could drive up and see their vehicles and office? Chat to the trainers? See other candidates coming and going?
If not, then avoid like the plague! (Anyone remember Sterling Training? Yes, I was that mug, I discovered TM and all it’s warnings too late :frowning: )

Pete S:

Quite. And a lot of this is influenced by the available fleet. Up till now, for 24 years, the demand has been consistent for CAT C. And then a proportion of folks would move onto CE. Thus, many schools have a fleet that is “C heavy”.

There is no extra hassle in going straight to CE - and especially not for a bus driver. To suggest he needs or would benefit from CAT C training initially is nothing short of an insult.

The PSTT course for CAT C or D driver is 20 hours incl reversing at a total cost of £1746. This takes account of the Trucknet user discount.

For that, you get:

Depending on viability of travelling, up to 5 hours reversing and 3a test on site
16 hours 1:1 training
Balance of training with one instructor and one vehicle
Driving test booked to coincide with the end of training - on site again.
All instructors registered and qualified (NOT the industry norm)
Spare vehicles in case of problems
Full customer care support from a dedicated team.
Pass Protection (£395) which covers you for 3 retests. Also, FOC, 3 retests on 3a!
Residential at no extra cost if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW

To organise dates, just call 01623 555661. £200 deposit required to secure dates. Balance due 2 weeks before start of training.

I’m in the office Tuesday morning this week (a relatively rare occurrence!) so, if you want, get calling and ask for me personally.

Hope this all makes sense. Dont get sucked into the hype.

I wasn’t expecting you to be in the office when I rang and it was a pleasure talking to you Pete and I will be booking once I’ve got my provisional back

Pleasure talking to you as well.

Hope it all goes smoothly. You know I can always always be contacted on the forum or pm