Help please, assesment yesterday!

Morning all, I had an assesment yesterday for a job I really wanted, I’ve not had my class 1 that long but the company new this before I went - they were great, took time to go through everything with me. I had a written test on tacho law and then a short test on road signs and various other bits and pieces, everything was going fine , they said give us a decent drive round the block and the job is yours. The wagon was a 55 reg scania topliner, lovely motor. I’d not driven using a range change and splitter before, it was a 12 speed box, The truck I trained on was an iveco with a straight 6 speed box. Anyway I took off and I could not get the hang of it at all, I had massive problems feeling the gate when changing and making all sorts of horrible grinding noises :blush: . The fella said not to worry, don’t over rev it and just feel the change gently, not to force it, I couldn’t get used to it one bit, so they sent me away saying I need to get a week or so experience to get rid of my gear box gremlins and then go back and if all is ok the job will be there for me. I’ve rung round agencies and got nothing so I’m kicking myself now. So what is the trick to getting it right all you scannie drivers, ■■? sorry for long post any advice help Greatly appreciated as it could mean me getting my first job in driving, or not, thankyou

I’m so sorry to hear that Jimlad :cry: :cry: :cry: and sadly your post is testimony to the argument against training in basic spec vehicles. IMHO I think you should pay for a day (more money I know ) training with an instructor with a decent truck with a splitter then re-approach the company you did the assesment with and show them the reciept for the training. Hopefully they will be suitably impressed by the effort you have gone to and a proffessional instructor will get you over the mental block you are in danger of developing with this gear box.
I am quite sure that a day or even half would resolve any issues and get you the job you would really like, more so than reading up then getting nervous everytime you come across a similar wagon.
Good luck. :wink:

You could try this guy ian-markwick.co.uk/vehicles.php
as I believe CM on this forum did a day refresher for £160 a while
back and he as a scania truck plus a 40ft trailer also theghostofcain
passed is class 1 first time with him.

I had a similar problem when I started driving class two since Iearnt on a straight six - didn’t really get it sorted until I started driving class ones, the trick is to not try and rush the changes, the smoother and slower you make them the easier they are… … …

If you rush and force it you will end up making nasty noises, not get it in the gate or end up with the magic gearbox of nothingness - which can be embarassing to say the least…

G

When that happens again Jim, point out that you’ve never driven one of “these” before and would they kindly show you how to use the box, then practice before going on the road… As a new driver this would be perfectly acceptable, and if everything else was in your favour they’d probably go out of their way to see you through…

Shame you couldn’t get the hang of it, next time take it slow and steady, you can’t rush a Scania and there’s no need for high revs, it’ll take off in most any gear :laughing:

You might want to ring around all the Scania operators in you area and get another assessment before going back…

it was me going to do class 1 refresher with ian markwick, it was cm who had mentioned him, but i had allready heard of him, the instructor ian found me a
slot, to train alongside somebody else, said he would get back to me to confirm, but unfortunately he did not.

however i think a day with him would be good for jimlad, as he has the scania with the range change gearbox.

btw. be nice to know which firm it is, as i am still unemployed :laughing:
I’m guessing stobarts, or nft

Thanks for your replies guys, A mate of mine has a daf cf he is willing to give a couple of hours in it, which is great, I’m also going to try and get agency work and take anything, because at the moment I’m working full time ( not driving ) so it’s awkward, do I risk it and leave my job or stay and wait for agency work at weekends !! I’ll be fine once I get a foot in the door somewhere but it’s hard to get that chance, as I’m under 25 too !!! I could be negative and say I’ve spent £ 2000 for nothing but I can’t think that way .

Sidan you have a message