Help! Newbie Tacho woes

I managed to secure some work doing multi drop for a well known flat pack furniture company. Its hard graft but its work and I’m new so I can’t grumble. But I need some help regarding my hours worked, breaks etc and a problem I had yesterday. I know these are basic questions but I think there needs to be a major change in how newbies are taught to use Tachos because I was shown nothing and on mudule 2 there were only a few basic questions which don’t really help in the real world.

I have done two days so far, first day was a 14 hour shift. Started at 0700. I did 6 hours work then took a 45min break. Then I got confused. I did another two hours work then took a 15min break followed by another two hours and another 15 min break and then got back to the depot at 20:45. Now i was sure id messed up but the guy in the office took a download of my card and said it was fine.

Day two is where it all went belly up. Same 0700 start I put my card in as normal it registered, my name came up etc. I did my checks pulled away and then ten minutes later I notice that the tacho was saying “driving without card”. Then for the rest of the day it would alternate every few minutes from “driving without card” to showing up as normal recording everything like it should. I was also unable to change the mode by pressing the 1 button. Is this something I have done wrong or is the tacho faulty? I kept a manual record of my breaks but the office guy couldn’t really help and of course when he took a download of my card all sorts of infringements came up. What a nightmare.

So basically I need clarification on how much break I need after I have done my first 6 hours and had a 45 and basically what the hell was up with the tacho!

Thanks! :open_mouth:

Odds on you had it in slot 2.If in a seimens or upside-down in a stoneridge. So what tachograph unit was it Siemens or stoneridge tacho… Or what was the truck you were in if you don’t know the tachograph type.

CMB82:
I need clarification on how much break I need after I have done my first 6 hours and had a 45

After that 45 you just need to make sure you do neither of these things …
work/drive more than 6 hours without a 15 min break
drive more than 4.5 hours without another 45 or 15 + 30 break

nick2008:
Odds on you had it in slot 2.If in a seimens or upside-down in a stoneridge. So what tachograph unit was it Siemens or stoneridge tacho… Or what was the truck you were in if you don’t know the tachograph type.

It was a Siemens and it was definitely in slot 1. I did everything the same that I did the first day but for some reason it didn’t work.

ROG:

CMB82:
I need clarification on how much break I need after I have done my first 6 hours and had a 45

Cheers ROG, one more question, so say that I do my first 6 hours and have a 45, then do another 6 hours and have 15 how long then can I drive/work for and what break would I need?

The likelihood is that the vehicle had been moved by someone in the yard without a driver card being used, the message “Driving Without Card” will display until you press OK to accept it.

That won’t explain your infringements, but given that you haven’t said what the infringements are for no-one will be able to explain them, I’m guessing that the infringements have nothing to do with the “driving without card” message and the two are separate issues.
You haven’t mentioned driving breaks, you only said that you had a 45 minute break after six hours then had a 15 minute break every couple of hours, it sounds like you was lucky to get away with it the first day and not so lucky the second day.

If you can tell us what the infringements were for we may be able to help more.

Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe)

CMB82:
one more question, so say that I do my first 6 hours and have a 45, then do another 6 hours and have 15 how long then can I drive/work for and what break would I need?

You must have a 45 minute break before exceeding 4½ hours driving time, you should never exceed 4½ hours driving time without a 45 minute break.

The 45 minute driving break can be split into two separate breaks.
If you have a split driving break the first break must be at-least 15 minutes and the second break must be at-least 30 minutes and they must be taken in that order.

For the working time regulations you should not work more than six hours without a break of at-least 15 minutes, driving breaks also count as WTD breaks and where appropriate vise versa.

Driving breaks are more important than WTD breaks.

tachograph:
The likelihood is that the vehicle had been moved by someone in the yard without a driver card being used, the message “Driving Without Card” will display until you press OK to accept it.

wont that be cleared when doing manual entries ( to be fair I always clear anything on vdu before I do anything so wouldn’t know if it clears or not :wink: )

Right fellas just to clarify. The transport guy didn’t state any infringements he just said that he’ll have to do an infringement report.

Let me explain a little more. I had 22 drops in that 14 hour shift. More time was spent unloading ie other work than actual driving so it is highly unlikely that I exceed 9 or 10 hours of driving time. I would say that I drove for 6 hours MAX its probably much less. I only covered 140 miles. The drops took from 5 mins to over an hour then I had a total of 1h15m breaks so driving time is not the issue. The only infringement I could possibly have is not taking enough breaks in that second 6 hour period and of course the issue of “driving” without card.

Thanks for the help lads I appreciate it I’m just green as grass that’s all and I don’t mind admitting it! No ego here!

CMB82:
Right fellas just to clarify. The transport guy didn’t state any infringements he just said that he’ll have to do an infringement report.

Let me explain a little more. I had 22 drops in that 14 hour shift. More time was spent unloading ie other work than actual driving so it is highly unlikely that I exceed 9 or 10 hours of driving time. I would say that I drove for 6 hours MAX its probably much less. I only covered 140 miles. The drops took from 5 mins to over an hour then I had a total of 1h15m breaks so driving time is not the issue. The only infringement I could possibly have is not taking enough breaks in that second 6 hour period and of course the issue of “driving” without card.

Thanks for the help lads I appreciate it I’m just green as grass that’s all and I don’t mind admitting it! No ego here!

by what you say nothing really major to worry about.
just watch that 6hr WTD time if your not getting a lot of driving in, just keep an eye on it though as it can creep up and bite you when you least expect it.
Remember clear anything on the VDU, put card in, do entries, then wait for the pictogram to change to what looks like a door with a window ( its the card symbol really but I reckon it looks like a door :wink: ) and you should be ok

Cheers nick I will look out for that next time. From what others have said the truck will have been moved by someone else in the yard without a card and I haven’t cleared it first. I’ll have to figure out how to!

nick2008:

tachograph:

wont that be cleared when doing manual entries ( to be fair I always clear anything on vdu before I do anything so wouldn’t know if it clears or not :wink: )

No, doing a manual entry will not clear the “Driving Without Card” message, if you think about it there’s no reason why it should :wink:

CMB82:
From what others have said the truck will have been moved by someone else in the yard without a card and I haven’t cleared it first. I’ll have to figure out how to!

On a Siemens tachograph just press OK to clear the message, on a Stoneridge tachograph press OK or the enter button (depending on the model of the tachograph).

Cheers taco. School boy error on my part then. Thanks for the info all of you. One other question. Is there a way to check how long you’ve been driving say mid shift? So I know how long I have left? Scared of pressing too many buttons at the minute lol.

CMB82:

ROG:

CMB82:

Cheers ROG, one more question, so say that I do my first 6 hours and have a 45, then do another 6 hours and have 15 how long then can I drive/work for and what break would I need?

No more WTD breaks needed but after the 45 you would need to keep an eye on driving time as that could need more break

CMB82:
Cheers taco. School boy error on my part then. Thanks for the info all of you. One other question. Is there a way to check how long you’ve been driving say mid shift? So I know how long I have left? Scared of pressing too many buttons at the minute lol.

• While the vehicle is stationary press the down arrow to see how much driving you’ve done since the last 45 minute break or rest period.
  • This also shows how much break you’ve accumulated and if the mode is on break how long the current break is.
    [/*:m]
  • While the vehicle is moving press OK to see how much driving you’ve accumulated since the last 45 minute break or rest period.
  • This also shows how much break you’ve accumulated since the last 45 minute break or rest period.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

The tachograph doesn’t display how much driving you’ve done in the daily driving period, you can make a note of the accumulated driving time every time you have a 45 minute break, or while the vehicle is stationary press the down arrow and the bottom left of the screen shows your fortnightly driving time, if you make a note of this at the start of the shift you can calculate how much driving time has been added to it during the shift.

Thats great Tacho thanks for the help!

I’m quite new to digi tachos and am working agency to gain class C experience. I make a habit of doing a 24h print at the end of the shift so I have my own record. You should also keep a manual log or diary backing this up and carry it with you when driving. You can then scan your print and upload it to the forum so people can help with anything you can’t figure out. Also helps if you are stopped by the VOSA man.

tachograph:
The tachograph doesn’t display how much driving you’ve done in the daily driving period,

You can kind of get it to do it. If you press OK while stationary then scroll to Display Driver 1 you can scroll through that days (or any days) activities. It’s like a print out but on the screen. Eventually you can scroll down to the bottom of the print out which displays total driving, work, POA and break for that day.

This is of course useless if your day spans 2 days like mine do as a night driver. Still, if you really needed to you could scroll through the print out adding the driving periods up as you go along.

Or quicker still, just do an actual print out.

^ You can see the days driving by scrolling through “Display/driver 1”, it can be a hell of a lot of scrolling though :smiley: