Help,,, new volvo,,

just found out i will be driving a brand spanking new volvo fh from tonight, doing a swap over about 3 or 4 tomorrow morning, anybody give me a quick run down of the simple things like
where to check oil…
steering adjustment
anything else you can think of…

just the basics will do, i can find a lot more as i go along

thanks

Steering wheel= Probably still that foot pedal above the accelerator

Oil etc= Use the on board computer (or pretend to) if stuck

Interior lights= (first thing I look for) Just above your head to the left

Try this link for a bit of a cheat :wink:
volvotrucks.com/trucks/south … erior.aspx

Also I would get there 30 mins early to play with the buttons and set the radio up.

thanks for that Dave, extra wide bed ■■? good stereo ■■? that’ll do,

I quite like the new Volvos autos they seem to hold well on the exhaust brake, & don`t over speed, just put the lever down 1 notch so it reads E+
the only thing it took me time to get used to, was in E+ it will put itself into neutral and free wheel to save fuel, then kick back in to pull

Had a little tour round one, the steering wheel adjustment was still the pedal, but and 2 positions, one for normal tilt, up and down and one for neck tilt. I reckon the rest would be pretty straight forward, except for the park brake, I seem to remember the driver saying it came on automatically when you stop and put it in neutral, but with something so important I’d ask or find out before I drove off in it.

Got a rocker switch on the dash to hold it for a hill start.

My favourite feature is the handbrake, is it or isn’t it on? Nobody knows…

I have been using a 13 reg volvo 420 fm for 3 weeks now. The I shift box works really well even on boggy wet ground, the power mode works well over the economy mode and i like the idea that you can go from auto to manual while moving and you can select wether to go up or down the gears. You dont really drive the lorry your just the person along for the ride who steers it occaisionally and brakes now and then. Its a nice truck to drive on a long journey :slight_smile:

I like the USB port in the radio so you no longer have to ■■■■ about with wireless or long cable connections between your device and the output sound system of the radio… :slight_smile:

Dipper_Dave:
Oil etc= Use the on board computer (or pretend to) if stuck

You’re a brave to do that on a brand new motor, well any motor come to that.

I got issued a brand new R440 on the 1st August, moved all my gear in wednesday night (31st) and fiddled and ■■■■■■ about as you do when your changing trucks, including checking the oil, and there was just a drop the tear drop at the end off the dipstick went round to truck east first thing in the morning to have it topped up. Fitter let it stand for 10 mins (whilst coffee was consumed :wink: ) then checked it and topped it up. He was surprised to say the least :wink:

I know truck manufactures are trying to save where they can, but really putting oil in a truck is kind off inportant :wink:

eddie snax:

Yep its bad practice, I couldn’t see if there was a grille release button in the cab or to just pull it open from the outside.

Never one to trust computers normally :blush:

Still not sure so if anyone has a new FH is it the same as the old ones. ?

Dipper_Dave:

eddie snax:

Yep its bad practice, I couldn’t see if there was a grille release button in the cab or to just pull it open from the outside.

Never one to trust computers normally :blush:

Still not sure so if anyone has a new FH is it the same as the old ones. ?

Didnt click your name earlier :blush: , but with a name like that you obviously would know better :wink: