Help needs understanding WTD 60 hours

I sure I’m missing something obvious but for the life of me I can’t get my head round the 60 hour WTD.
To keep it simple. I understand we need to average no more than 48 hours over a set period determined by our employer. (Which I have yet to hear of any driver being disciplined or prosecuted for exceeding ) certainly not where I work.
Now as I understand we can increase this 48 to no more than 60 in a week but must pay back the time increased time at period end.
Hope you’re still with me on my thinking, because this is where I get bewildered. If the above is the case why then can a driver work legally on say a five day period accumulating 315 and 213 shifts equalling 71 hours.
Now if the above is true ie 60 hour max per week, would a driver therefore be within legal right to tell his employer (boss, I did 315 and 113 this week therefore tomorrow on my fifth shift I m only working 2 hours) guess the response would include p45 somewhere.
The reason I ask is simple, we now have these DCPC trainer experts and I use the word expert loosely instructing us on the laws of the land yet can cant explain any of the above.
Finally, where does the buck stop, if stay some poor driver is caught exceeding the 60 hr WTD, is it he/she that carries the can? Or does an employer have a responsibility to record drivers hours and advise if a driver is near the limit? Our lot are very efficient at sticking an infringement letter under our nose to sign, does this imply that they have covered their back and the drivers on his own.
I would guess the driver takes it in the neck as its his responsibility, which I have no problem with, if I screw up its my fault. All I ask is that we all have a level playing field to work off. Too many companies manipulate the rules to suit.we have drivers in my place that won’t exceed 60hrs, however we have others that apply the 315&213 weepy max, and up until now I guess both are right in their school of thought until one driver was pulled to sign an infringement saying he exceeded the 60 hr max, when managers where question as to why this policy wasn’t briefed and explained to all drivers the answer unofficially was they didn’t want all the drivers to know as it would restrict their planners!!!
WTF welcome to the world of loGISTics.
Rant over, off to darkened room for solace.

Time spent on break and POA doesn’t count towards your WTD hours.

So for example you could do a15 hour shift, with 9 hours driving and 1 hour other work and the other 5 hours made up of breaks and POA, as far as the WTD goes you have only worked 10 hours that day.

WORK means driving time + other work time which is recorded

Work does not refer to shift time

That means the max driving time + other work time in a fixed week is 60 hours under the RTD rules

Under EU driver tacho regs there is no maximum but you will be restricted by the daily and weekly rest rules

Two sets of rules that run alongside each other but only the EU tacho regs are enforced by the authorities

houndcat:
I sure I’m missing something obvious but for the life of me I can’t get my head round the 60 hour WTD.
To keep it simple. I understand we need to average no more than 48 hours over a set period determined by our employer. (Which I have yet to hear of any driver being disciplined or prosecuted for exceeding ) certainly not where I work.
Now as I understand we can increase this 48 to no more than 60 in a week but must pay back the time increased time at period end.
Hope you’re still with me on my thinking, because this is where I get bewildered. If the above is the case why then can a driver work legally on say a five day period accumulating 315 and 213 shifts equalling 71 hours.
Now if the above is true ie 60 hour max per week, would a driver therefore be within legal right to tell his employer (boss, I did 315 and 113 this week therefore tomorrow on my fifth shift I m only working 2 hours) guess the response would include p45 somewhere.
The reason I ask is simple, we now have these DCPC trainer experts and I use the word expert loosely instructing us on the laws of the land yet can cant explain any of the above.
Finally, where does the buck stop, if stay some poor driver is caught exceeding the 60 hr WTD, is it he/she that carries the can? Or does an employer have a responsibility to record drivers hours and advise if a driver is near the limit? Our lot are very efficient at sticking an infringement letter under our nose to sign, does this imply that they have covered their back and the drivers on his own.
I would guess the driver takes it in the neck as its his responsibility, which I have no problem with, if I screw up its my fault. All I ask is that we all have a level playing field to work off. Too many companies manipulate the rules to suit.we have drivers in my place that won’t exceed 60hrs, however we have others that apply the 315&213 weepy max, and up until now I guess both are right in their school of thought until one driver was pulled to sign an infringement saying he exceeded the 60 hr max, when managers where question as to why this policy wasn’t briefed and explained to all drivers the answer unofficially was they didn’t want all the drivers to know as it would restrict their planners!!!

The 48 hour average is the maximum your working time should average over the reference period which is usually 17 or 26 weeks.

You can legally do a maximum of 60 hours working time in a fixed week.

Working time is driving and other work, it doesn’t include breaks or POA.

So basically if you did three 15 hour shifts followed by two 13 hour shifts, by the time you take away any breaks and POA the total working time can still come in under 60 hours, and for many drivers the total working time can still be around or even under 48 hours.

It has to be said though that for many drivers complying with the working time regulations means using breaks and POA to manipulate the average and even the maximum weekly working time in order to be able to do the job.

tachograph:

houndcat:
It has to be said though that for many STOBRAT ! :laughing: drivers complying with the working time regulations means using breaks and POA to manipulate the average and even the maximum weekly working time in order to be able to do the job.

FTFY :sunglasses:

We should all be familiar with this by now…surely■■?

DCPC anyone■■?

houndcat:

POA mate we can get 5x15s a week here with the odd Saturday added too

Ryy86:
POA mate we can get 5x15s a week here with the odd Saturday added too

My company have already squeezed two 9 hours off out of me this week and I certainly won’t be telling them I squeezed a split daily rest in yesterday so they can give me 2 more :grimacing:

This Poa business, bemuses me, this must be the only job out, where you are at work, yet on paper, your not at work. :shock: