Help needed

I have a 99 reg scania 4x2 rigid and am having problems charging/using an invertor thorugh the cigarette lighter…there is 2 plugs on the side of the dash wondered how i make these work…i dont mean to sound thick lol but am quite confused

Sorry to quote the obvious (if you’ve already done it) but have you checked the fuses for the ciggy lighter and the other 2 power outlets?

Yeh changed the fuses and it works enough for my sat nav and even then only just lol

A cigarette lighter socket, although capable of drawing a relatively high amperage, is an imperfect connection and prolonged usage can cause damage. Far better to use the Hella type sockets for continuous loads. You’d have to check the outputs but, they could be 12v or 24v, or both.

Hella plugs are available from various outlets, as discussed numerous times on here.

:wink:

The two sockets at the side are Hella’s one is 12v and the other 24v.

A Hella plug is similar to a cig lighter plug, if you go to a car accessory shop you can buy a cig lighter plug with a red collar. If you twist the red collar off it becomes a Hella. Put it back and it is cig again. Clever stuff.

The best Hella plugs I found were some that DaveyDriver sold me, I dunno if he’s still got any but could be worth a PM.

The CB shack at Michealwood services do some good hella to ciggy adaptors. I got a single and a double and they did me fine…(just got to get them back after I lent them out when I came off the wagons but back on them so I want them back!!!)

Invertors will work better if you wire direct to the batteries. And less chance of a fire.