HELP NEEDED

Can anyone help with tips advice etc.Have been asked to quote for delivering r/trip containers from Southampton to Aix Noulette (about 60mls from Calais off the A26)and want to know anything to look out for .International o licence is ok but what about driver requirements int licence etc.Advice on best route Train or Boat would help too

As France is part of the EU (as are we) and EU licenses are valid EU wide, there is no need for an international License.

Taking the train is a bit quicker than going by boat. There’s about 15 minutes in it, in total, provided both systems are working fairly well.
The price is widely variable, depending on time,
size,
weight,
one way or return
and more than anything else who you book through.
If I were you, I’d make a few enquirys through the ferry ticket agencies.

A lot of companies in Scotland uses an Irish agent called Motis.

Thanks Simon Being as its so close to Calais Will be looking for a day return for an artic with 40ft box.Is it cheaper to book through agencies rather than the companies direct? Was going to speak to Eurotunnel tomorrow.

As that advert used to say, way back in the dark ages - “Let your fingers do the walking”.

You should also have a look through the Sticky Post near the top of this forum titled DOCUMENTS & EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY, it might save you some searching around for more info.

Try this lot for ferry discounts www.freightlink.co.uk

Many Thanks .Have now done the quote and waiting to here.Went with the ferries in the end as wasn’t aware of 4m height limit on the train .

Is there not a 4m height limit in france■■?

ando:

If you’re driving a UK registered lorry, yes there probably is & it’ll probably cost you a few zillion euros :exclamation: if you’re in a French lorry, no :unamused:

Seriously though, there can’t be a 4.0m limit in France as the container boys from Le Havre run 9’6" boxes on skellies similar to the ones we use over here, whereas the Benelux countries which do have a 4.0m limit all use swan necks to keep the height down, either that or my feeble attempt at humour in point one is actually true :smiling_imp: :exclamation: :unamused: :cry:

Well these boxes are 9’6 reefers so will push the height way above 4m so but as you say if its ok for the french its not ok for anyone else!!!

A high cube box on a typical UK skel is about 14’6, assuming that the front twistlocks are 5’0" from the ground, that’s 4.5m in new money, I’ve just been looking at a French trailer parked next to a 4.2m box on a loading dock & it’s running at more or less the same height, asked the chauffeur & was met with ‘je n’est sais pas’ & a gallic shrug :wink: best thing would be to google your question, unless Spardo comes on line, he’s a fountain of knowledge on all things French :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for your help nmc .Probably after all this homework won’t here back from the customer but as they say “they’re always right”. The crazy thing about all this is that the ship they’re from docks in Le Havre but the agent doesn’t trust the French customs !!!.Expensive way of doing it if you ask me.

ando:

NO.
In many European countries the height limit is 4.0m, but not in France.

If you look through the Euro Drivers Info Point sticky, which is what it is there for. You will find a chart of Maximum Dimensions for European countries. Looking at that will show you that the limit for France is Not Defined, the same as for the UK.

For route planning for France, the best map is the large scale Michelin. It has height and weight limits marked on it, but on my 2001 edition you have to look for the markings. They don’t show up very well.

all bridges under 4.4 mtr have to be signed in france. i used to run mega trailers on standard unit over most of western france with a running height of 4.35 mtr and no problems at all.

Let us know how it goes & if you encounter any low bridges, just take a good run at em :smiling_imp:

All our trailers run at 4.2 or 4.3 metres in France although we have bought some low rides and our Hungarian and Romanian drivers use 4 metre Schmitz trailers.

There are the occasional 4.0 bridges designed to catch us out but the one at Sees is a regular problem :exclamation:

Wheel Nut:
All our trailers run at 4.2 or 4.3 metres in France although we have bought some low rides and our Hungarian and Romanian drivers use 4 metre Schmitz trailers.

There are the occasional 4.0 bridges designed to catch us out but the one at Sees is a regular problem :exclamation:

The bridge at Sees, memories :laughing: There’s the one at Tournus as well, you know when you’re getting close because of the skid marks in the road :laughing:

Looks like this job is on at the end of the month but just a couple of more questions, after reading the Documents for vehicle and driver who should provide the cmr ?Haulier Agent?? and what exactly is a Community Authorisation and who should hold it? Please excuse my ignorance chaps as I’m only used to UK box work and I’d rather ask now than when the driver gets to Dover.!

Rob Campbell:
and what exactly is a Community Authorisation and who should hold it? Please excuse my ignorance chaps as I’m only used to UK box work and I’d rather ask now than when the driver gets to Dover.!

it comes with a International O licence

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/l … abroad.htm

Many thanks Denis

Rob Campbell:
Looks like this job is on at the end of the month but just a couple of more questions, after reading the Documents for vehicle and driver who should provide the cmr ?Haulier Agent?? and what exactly is a Community Authorisation and who should hold it? Please excuse my ignorance chaps as I’m only used to UK box work and I’d rather ask now than when the driver gets to Dover.!

Remember to give your driver a Community Authorisation document, it should be in the cab, an ex driver of mine got fined for not having it, he had left it in another brief case!!!

and ref the CMR, it should come from the customer but you can always get your own and complete it. The RHA website sells them blank.

tip: always to carry some spare

Good luck on your first venture into Europe, hope it goes well