Help needed with carrier fridge problem

Hello fellow truckers,

got a problem at the moment with my carrier fridge on a tri axle trailer. it cut out yesterday morning and would not restart. i straight away checked the tank as my tank is one of those big 350 ltr tanks underslung on the arse end of the trailer but it has no gauge so i have to dip the tank. anyway it was low, theres no doubt about that but it was,nt completely empty. so i chucked in 120 litres of red and opened her up and bled the system with hand pump and valve open with screwdriver up the outlet line to block it off ( so as not to keep air running through system).

All ok up to this point, as i was bleeding it i kept a lemonade bottle by the bleed valve to capture fuel and gave it a good pump through and probably had half a litre of fuel before i closed the bleed valve and switched it on and fired up with a bit of help with throttle control.
i noticed then in the bottle that there was a separation with approx 40/60 red derv on top and some sort of brown liquid on the bottom. could,nt tell you what it was, my only guess is water but how it got in there i would,nt have a scooby doo.

it ran ok so i left it for about an hour then switched off. today now i fired her up and she ran for 20 minutes and then cut out again, i tried bleeding it one more time but she wouldnt start this time and the bottle had the same amount of separated derv/ liquid after i pumped it.

Now i,m completely lost, i,m no mechanic or fridge engineer but i thought i had some common sense but this has stumped me… now your mission, if you choose to do it, is to give me some clues or diagnosis,s as to how a foreign fluid ahs mysteriously got into the system.

Many thanks, gary

Fuel contaminated before you filled tank, or leak on cap allowing water in. Poss condensation collecting in tank. Drain tank from bottom if poss, diesel floats on the water, drain until clean fuel comes out, drain filter on fridge engine, bleed until clean fuel runs through and roberts your relation.

Fridges of today usually cut out by themselves so you don’t blow the fridge up through lack of oil or water. Is your screen, were you can see the temperature the fridge is set at, flashing on and off ? If so that’s telling you there’s a fault. Best call your firm to get someone out if you don’t know how to get the fault code out.

Fuel contaminated before you filled tank, or leak on cap allowing water in

I thought that steve but it came from a little 1000ltr bunker we have in our yard and i filled a bottle this afternoon and let it esttle for 20 minutes and it was red right through.

My next move is to drain the tank completely and fill with derv from garage then pump like crazy and see what happens. my main concern is if the injectors have been compromised in any way.

thanks for the advice though.

Fridges of today usually cut out by themselves so you don’t blow the fridge up through lack of oil or water. Is your screen, were you can see the temperature the fridge is set at, flashing on and off ?

No wouldie the fridge is set at -24c and all the fault shows is something like A24 engine stalled.

We use to carry a card with all the fault codes on, say like 42 was lack of oil etc etc. Other than that l can’t help but if there’s a number up on your screen other than the temp setting an engineer would know what it meant. Good luck in trying to fix your problem, whatever it is. :confused:

be a good idea to change the filter too as it probally full of watter

GBD:

Fuel contaminated before you filled tank, or leak on cap allowing water in

I thought that steve but it came from a little 1000ltr bunker we have in our yard and i filled a bottle this afternoon and let it esttle for 20 minutes and it was red right through.

My next move is to drain the tank completely and fill with derv from garage then pump like crazy and see what happens. my main concern is if the injectors have been compromised in any way.

thanks for the advice though.

Fridges of today usually cut out by themselves so you don’t blow the fridge up through lack of oil or water. Is your screen, were you can see the temperature the fridge is set at, flashing on and off ?

No wouldie the fridge is set at -24c and all the fault shows is something like A24 engine stalled.

check the fault code …

Switch off unit .
wait 5 min.
turn on unit wait for pre start checks
check faults showing then clear faults leave running.

It might be worth syphoning the tank to see how much junk is in the bottom of the tank…

if there is fault code flashing on screen m8 ur codes and answer will be inside door of fridge access where u bled it also some not nice person could put water in it /also if u get it running leave it at least 4hrs as very often first bleed never works gd luck :smiley:

stevejones:
if there is fault code flashing on screen m8 ur codes and answer will be inside door of fridge access where u bled it also some not nice person could put water in it /also if u get it running leave it at least 4hrs as very often first bleed never works gd luck :smiley:

As long as some scroat aint taken it off or jet washed it due to oil and carp going all over the place in which case it’s gone :open_mouth:

ps whats the fridge … type size and model as I cant find code A24

Got a Thermoking on at the moment, not sure if the fault codes mean the same as a carrier, anyhoo, with a lot of grunting, cursing and squeezing I got the door open (bloody close coupled trailers!) and 24 was “heating cycle fault” whatever that means.

As for water getting in your tank op, my suspicion is that you keep this trailer on all the time and probably take care keeping it clean? If so I reckon that you’ve got a poor fitting fuel cap and the jet wash (as you blast leaked fuel off the tank) has filled it with water over a period of time.

Could possibly be “diesel bug”,a fungal growth in the fuel system caused by condensation etc. Additives are available to cure the problem.

ps whats the fridge … type size and model as I cant find code A24

I,ll have a look tomorrow to make sure what the code says. Its a 1850 model, again i,ll have a look tomorrow if theres anymore info and be back on here later.

If so I reckon that you’ve got a poor fitting fuel cap and the jet wash (as you blast leaked fuel off the tank) has filled it with water over a period of time.

no, i,d go more along the lines of a malicious act, the cap on my tank is one of these supercap jobbies, it is an ex M&D of torrington euro trailer.

Thanks for all the replies and advice, much appreciated :smiley:

Did you park up too close to somebody on a night out and they ■■■■ in it? :bulb:

Have you checked the oil and water on the fridge motor? Nobody ever does so they get low on oil/water and switch themselves off.

Please don’t run the fridge till it’s sorted!! Carrier Vector injectors and pumps really don’t like water or contaminants and a big bill usually follows. You need to drain the tank completely, but before refilling it carry out the following:-
Either above the fuel tank or above the 1st axle there will be a 12v fuel pump, inside will be a filter which will be blocked. If there is water in the system it will show up here. Take the filter out, clean and refit.
There is a second smaller filter located in the banjo fitting on the underside of the primer pump, again clean and refit.
I would recommend blowing out the fuel line from the primer to the fuel tank, if possible remove the stack pipe from the tank and blow this out too.
When you’ve rinsed out the tank refill with clean diesel. Also fit a new fuel filter if possible.
The quickest way now to get fuel to the primer is to disconnect the wires to the fuel pump and give it a remote power source ie a battery boost pack etc, this will get the fuel to the primer much quicker. remember 12v supply. When fuel is to the primer reconnect the wires to the pump.
Hopefully this will get you up and running again.

Cack on the bottom of the fuel tank has been sucked up & blocked sumat. Should always avoid running low. (Disclaimer, this is guess work).

Suppose if it was coming through it may not be that but I’ve had intermittent blockage on a tractor unit before after running him low.

Please don’t run the fridge till it’s sorted!! Carrier Vector injectors and pumps really don’t like water or contaminants and a big bill usually follows. You need to drain the tank completely, but before refilling it carry out the following:-
Either above the fuel tank or above the 1st axle there will be a 12v fuel pump, inside will be a filter which will be blocked. If there is water in the system it will show up here. Take the filter out, clean and refit.
There is a second smaller filter located in the banjo fitting on the underside of the primer pump, again clean and refit.
I would recommend blowing out the fuel line from the primer to the fuel tank, if possible remove the stack pipe from the tank and blow this out too.
When you’ve rinsed out the tank refill with clean diesel. Also fit a new fuel filter if possible.

Thanks for that Davepol7. What has happened today will tie in with what you have advised.

started off with draining the tank into as many see through plastic containers as me and our engineer could find. then we cracked the sump plug and drained the dregs. so far all looked normal, maybe the last 20 litres looked lighter and the last 10 litre old adblue cannister definately had a small amount of separation.

next came the filter( this one is actually just in front of the tank at the rear of the trailer) and boy oh boy did it reveal !!! there was some sort of viscosity, like a white gooey stuff ( errrr very similar to some other white sticky stuff we all know :smiley: ) and what appeared to be water.

thats about as far as we got for tonight. I,ve priced up a fuel filter and we are going to blow the lines tomorrow then refill with derv from a garage, as i,m concerned over our bunded tank in the yard. then we,ll prime the filter, pump the system like nuts and pray to the fridge god that the injectors are not naffed. i will take the tips above and clean any other filters.
it is a vector 1850mt fridge.

Did you park up too close to somebody on a night out and they [zb] in it?

I did wonder about that because the trailer had been dropped recently at our customers factory overnighta and i thought someone had drained the tank then decided to refill with water !!!