Help needed - running out of fuel, needle not on empty

A hypothetical situation here…

Somebody who isn’t me runs out of fuel in a nearly brand new truck.

Needle approx. 1-2 mm above the start of the red line, i.e. still ‘in the white’.

Fuel warning light never illuminates.

Test on fuel gauge (passing a volt and earthing) reveals no fault. No error codes recorded either.

Assuming this person isn’t lying, is there anything else that could cause this?

Thanks

Yes, the sender in the fuel tank could be out.

whats the truck and is it twin tanked ■■
could be a bent float

DAF LF rigid, less than a year old.

All evidence based on the fuel gauge test, possibly leading to disciplinary action against driver.

Javiatrix:
DAF LF rigid, less than a year old.

All evidence based on the fuel gauge test, possibly leading to disciplinary action against driver.

Errr how can it be the Drivers fault? I accept hypothetically speaking, that if he had a fuel card and passed a fuel stop then that’s being a bit daft and evidence for being given a rollocking.

I have a feeling I might be corrected though.

If you have a regular vehicle, and assuming it doesn’t have one of those anti siphon fittings, its always a good idea to shine a torch in the tank and see where the fuel level sits in comparison to the pick up pipe when the level gets below 1/4, that way you know just how low you can push it if needs be.

It’s happened to me, ran out of fuel in a new truck when the gauge was still showing 1/4 of a tank.

I never go below 1/4 on the gauge on my own truck, I dip the tank with a stick and I’m sure it would run out before the gauge showed “empty”.

pick up pipe too short

Always carry a stick and a torch, you can’t trust technology.

limeyphil:

Ok, but as Dave says, what if the pick up pipe is too short? :bulb:

I’ve driven a truck that run out of fuel show well above empty on the gauge. Next time I drove it the gauge worked properly again. That was with single tank.

I’ve also had problems with twin tank, drawing from the side without the sender unit, until it empty. That was breather problems.

axletramp:

limeyphil:

Ok, but as Dave says, what if the pick up pipe is too short? :bulb:

On quite a few Dafs, They had a gauze at the bottom of the pickup pipe, It usually corroded over time and fell off, This resulted in there being 2-3" of fuel left in the bottom, The easiest solution was to lift the pickup pipe and sender out and stick a bit of rubber hose on the end.
I usually carried the stick for the red diesel tank on the fridge, They never show the right level. But still handy when you’re given a new to you lorry, What the gauge says and what’s in there are usually a mile apart.

I had this years ago in a DAF LF 7.5t, was a few miles from the fuel station (left work with a full tank) and the bloody thing just conked out, wasn’t even on the red, did a video to show the boss that the gauge moved when I turned ignition on etc, but he wasn’t bothered, he just said “daf ■■■■” :laughing:

Got paid overtime for walking to the fuel station and back too, and got refunded the cost of the gerry can and fuel

Some of our brand new trucks when tank full the dial shows 3/4 full??

The DAF LF 7.5t puddle hopper I get to drive can be a nightmare. you can`t fill the plastic tank to the top & even if you tipped it on its side, it probably only holds 60/70ltrs max, which makes running 600km trips a pain to plan as you need to factor in where the BP stops are. Running from Doncaster to North Wales (Rhyl, Caernarfon, Criccieth & Portmerion) usually means having to find fuel either at the services near flint on the way out or grit my teeth & hope the fumes get me to Pwlheli)

DAF lf gauges are crap! I’m on my third lf now no two have ever given similar readings. In fact, sometimes the same truck can’t even decide how much is in.

Last one I had I fueled one day when the light came on, and got something like 72.18 litres in (on the verge of overflowing) following week I filled it up at the last Shell for miles, and despite the gauge showing quarter of a tank in, got something like 99.13 lts in (100 litre tank)

Needless to say. I have a fuel stash now!

limeyphil:

Sorry, what year is it again?

Never let the fuel get below 1/4 of a tank, never know whats round the corner, may have to divert etc.

PaulNowak:
DAF lf gauges are crap! I’m on my third lf now no two have ever given similar readings. In fact, sometimes the same truck can’t even decide how much is in.

Last one I had I fueled one day when the light came on, and got something like 72.18 litres in (on the verge of overflowing) following week I filled it up at the last Shell for miles, and despite the gauge showing quarter of a tank in, got something like 99.13 lts in (100 litre tank)

Needless to say. I have a fuel stash now!

That was close Jeeeeez!!!

One lad driving the sister motor got 105 in his, still no light.

One tip some of the lads at our place haven’t tapped onto. Turn the nozzle 180 degrees skywards. You’ll get a good 20 litres plus after the nozzle originally clicks shut.