Help needed Regarding CPC online check

Started my 2nd shift today with a second driver, only to be rang half way through the shift asking why my CPC hours weren’t showing online.

Now for starters I thought I had to provide a password for them to access my records so how would they know?

Secondly I have had it confirmed on the phone by DSA that my card had been dispatched and i am perfectly legal to drive, but my employer won’t accept the pass certificate as valI’d proof. Says they need to verify my hours online.

Trying to register online for the cpc check it tells me they have no records of training hours completed.

Could be misinterpreting it but to me this sounds like i will only have an online record after I have completed classroom hours, and not after initial cpc?
Which is all I have done, completed all 4 modules but never any of the 7 hour sessions.

So frustrated, the worst part being I know I’m perfectly legal driving with the certificate but the gaffer doesn’t want to accept this?

Weird. It sounds like your employer thinks you obtained your CPC by doing the 35 hours periodic training, but like you said how would they even be able to check online without the password… surely they should know that there is mods 2 and 4 that make up the CPC also. Im sure this is just a misunderstanding, your pass certificates should be enough proof untill your card comes through.

RockyLUFC:
Weird. It sounds like your employer thinks you obtained your CPC by doing the 35 hours periodic training, but like you said how would they even be able to check online without the password… surely they should know that there is mods 2 and 4 that make up the CPC also. Im sure this is just a misunderstanding, your pass certificates should be enough proof untill your card comes through.

I personally think their clueless, as they keep going on about proof of the 7 completed courses and when I correct them that I’ve not had to do classroom hours yet, just mods 1 to 4 they all look at me like I’m an idiot that don’t know what I’m talking about.

For all the money the dsa are making with this cpc, they could at least man the phones / emails past 5pm

Like many employers, they clearly don’t understand how driver cpc works. It’s only been around for 7 years so I don’t know how long it will take!

But you should have your red Mod 4 certificate which is proof that you’ve completed initial driver cpc. And even if they don’t understand what it is, they should be able to take advice which will confirm that you’re legal.

In any case, you’ll have your card within a few days which will put their minds at ease if they haven’t sorted it.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If you got your CPC via mod 2 & 4 you cannot register for online access and won’t be able to until you have completed a 7 hour course.

Your employer may be able to check your CPC record online if you have signed a mandate for licence checks - but they won’t see anything until you have completed at least 7 hours CPC training.

As Peter has said - your card will arrive soon and you can be smug in the knowledge your bosses are clueless :wink:

There is a very simple way for operators to check a driver’s CPC entitlement by using the DVLA licence validation process, which costs £5 per enquiry. Section 2 of the Forms D795/D796 ( available from this section of the website) specifically confirms if a valid driver CPC card has been issued. When an operator first employs a driver they have a ‘duty of care’ to ensure that the driver has a valid licence for the category of vehicle they are employed to drive and also ensure that the licence is valid. Simply looking at a licence and photocopying it is no proof that the licence is either valid nor has the correct class entitlements (DVLA do make mistakes) and drivers can hold several copies of their licence. Operators who do not carry out a proper validation check can be prosecuted for ‘causing and permitting’ and the ‘O’ licence holder can be personally fined and have points put on their own personal driving licence for employing drivers with an invalid licence, whilst the Traffic Commissioners can also call them to task over what is considered to be a matter of repute. Unfortunately many operators do not carry out these validation checks, but ignorance is no defence. If you wish to register to carry out these checks with the DVLA then the D802 is available from this page along with the driver consent forms D795 (valid for 3 months) and D796 (valid for 3 years). There are commercial agencies that will carry out these checks at a charge on behalf of an operator, but generally they are only interested in ‘high volume’ large fleet operators.

If you have signed a licence mandate then for £5 they can check if you have been issued a CPC card with the DVLA.