Help needed please

Hi I’m new to the site (it’s ace) I passed my class 2 and initial CPc and luckily started my new job on Thursday doing 7.5t work for b n q after only 5 days after doing my cpc module 4 test so I was lucky getting a start so soon :slight_smile:
The problem I’m having tho and it’s really playing on my mind is my breaks!!! On Thursday+Friday I started at 7am and finished at 3pm but didn’t aggregate 4.5hrs of driving so on both days I just put my tacho on break for 30 mins at around 12.30 is this right?? When I stop to unload It just automatically goes to other work.
Yesterday (Saturday) I started at 7 and put my tacho on break at 1pm for 30 mins but on the way back to the yard about 10-15 mins away I’d reached my 4.5 of driving time.i pulled over and put it on break and phoned my friend who said I’d be ok to carry on as I’m nearly at the yard. Was that right or wrong to do?should I of had my 45 mins? I’m really worried now in case I’ve got a infringement all ready on my card after only using it since Thursday.
Sorry if this post is a bit long winded but I hardly slept last night any help or advice would really help me out as since passing my class 2 I fell in love with driving even more than I already was :smiley:

Hi I’m new to the site (it’s ace) I passed my class 2 and initial CPc and luckily started my new job on Thursday doing 7.5t work for b n q after only 5 days after doing my cpc module 4 test so I was lucky getting a start so soon :smiley:
The problem I’m having tho and it’s really playing on my mind is my breaks!!! On Thursday+Friday I started at 7am and finished at 3pm but didn’t aggregate 4.5hrs of driving so on both days I just put my tacho on break for 30 mins at around 12.30 is this right?? When I stop to unload It just automatically goes to other work.
Yesterday (Saturday) I started at 7 and put my tacho on break at 1pm for 30 mins but on the way back to the yard about 10-15 mins away I’d reached my 4.5 of driving time.i pulled over and put it on break and phoned my friend who said I’d be ok to carry on as I’m nearly at the yard. Was that right or wrong to do?should I of had my 45 mins? I’m really worried now in case I’ve got a infringement all ready on my card after only using it since Thursday.
Sorry if this post is a bit long winded but I hardly slept last night any help or advice would really help me out as since passing my class 2 I fell in love with driving even more than I already was :smiley:

Welcome to the site.

After 6h of work you should take 15 minutes rest. I am guessing B&Q like you to take 30 minutes rest at 6h.

As for driving breaks, you should be taking 45 minutes at the end of 4.5 hours driving. IF you have already taken a 30 minute break, then this can count towards the first 15 minutes of a split break, which can be taken as a 15 and then a 30 minute break.

I know it sounds complicated, but the more that you use your tacho and get used to break and rest periods, it will become second nature to you.

As for whether you will be in trouble for going over your 4.5 hours driving period without a 45 minute break… Probably not this time. But don’t make a habit of it. You should keep an eye on the tacho when you have accrued 4 hours driving, and start to plan your next half hour. Ask yourself 2 questions. Will I comfortably make it back to the depot within the next 30 minutes of drive time. Or the alternative is… Where can I puil over (Layby, Motorway Services, Wide stretch of road with no restrictions) to have my break period.

Hope this helps

I have answered your question in the Safety Forum

Thank you mate for your reply it’s settled my mind! I can now sleep 2night and concentrate on getting more experience! Cheers matey :smiley:

Not worth worrying about it now mate, what’s done is done. You should have had another 30 min break yesterday when your 4.5 hours run out on the way back to the yard. You can split your 45 into 2 periods, a 15 and a 30 min, but not a 30 and 15 min as the 2nd period must always be 30 min minimum.

Don’t listen to anyone that tells you to drive over your 4.5 hours just because your close to the yard, it’s your licence not theirs and if you get pulled by vosa it will be you in the firing line and not your mate who told you to drive on

Have you got an iPhone?? There is a free app called “tachodisc” that you can download, it’s a handy app, got all the info you need to know about your breaks and driving time

Don’t worry about it fella.
It is an infringement yes and on your first runs but honestly,if you do happen to get pulled,which is unlikely then don’t make up any big stories just tell them you made a mistake and you will more than likely just get a finger waving and told to be more careful.

Every day is a school day.

Congrats fella and enjoy!

Mrmikeygblue:
Yesterday (Saturday) I started at 7 and put my tacho on break at 1pm for 30 mins but on the way back to the yard about 10-15 mins away I’d reached my 4.5 of driving time.i pulled over and put it on break and phoned my friend who said I’d be ok to carry on as I’m nearly at the yard. Was that right or wrong to do?should I of had my 45 mins?

Technically you should have stopped and had a 30min break before you hit the 4h30 driving time. By not doing so you have technically broken the law.

However, don’t get yourself worried about it. If you were genuinely only over by 10-15mins then you are highly unlikely to get into trouble for it as long as you don’t make a habit of it. Do it every day and if VOSA check your card you will be in trouble. Do it once every few weeks and they will turn a blind eye to it.

Paul

Cheers for the replies. Yes got a iPhone and just downloaded that app so I’ve got no excuses now lol! I was bound to make some mistakes in the honeymoon period I just didn’t think I’d do a stupid one like that!!! But thanks to use and this site I’m all sorted now so a BIG thanks to use :smiley: now to crack on with getting that all important experience. I’m only doing 7.5t now but there is real potential to get moved up into class 2 once I get more experience so I’m just driving round with a massive smile on my face :smiley:
Also if anyone needs any training material for there cpc module 4 give me a shout as I’ve got this cd with all the things that you need to learn plus all the questions and answers,I can email you all the pdf’s off it, it’s ace and I passed with 100% with it!! Plus it’s free :smiley:

Cheers Paul I think with the help of the replies and that iPhone app I think I’ve finally got it into my head!! With just passing my test and the CPc and luckily landing the job so soon after my tests my head just couldn’t cope anymore haha but tomorrow is my 1st full week so hopefully everything just fits into place :smiley:

Well it seems to me you’re going the right route to get the experience and it will work for you fair play.

This might be of some use,if not to you then others

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/R … Europe.pdf

See you out there.

If that’s your typical day then why not keep it really simple and just take a 45 instead of a 30? Honestly, there’s nothing exciting going on back at the yard!