HELP NEEDED ASAP PLEASE

Hi all, i started work for a removal company just over a week ago, i was driving their 18 tonner some days and their 3 tonne luton on others. Long story short, i started work on tuesday morning at 7am driving the luton, she had only put 3 men on the house move when it was quoted as a 4 man job ! we didnt finish till 1:30 am wednesday morning and got back to the yard at 2am, by the tim i got to bed it was almost 3am and they wanted me in again at 7:00am, i phoned in at 6:30 to say i couldnt make it as i was aching and very very tired and thought it would be unsafe for me to drive even though i was down for the luton van that day. She said ok and then i recieved a text saying they would no longer be needing me as i was unreliable !!! My question is she has just text me asking for me to return my tachos, do i keep them for 28 days and then return them or give them straight back ■■

rusty919:
Hi all, i started work for a removal company just over a week ago, i was driving their 18 tonner some days and their 3 tonne luton on others. Long story short, i started work on tuesday morning at 7am driving the luton, she had only put 3 men on the house move when it was quoted as a 4 man job ! we didnt finish till 1:30 am wednesday morning and got back to the yard at 2am, by the tim i got to bed it was almost 3am and they wanted me in again at 7:00am, i phoned in at 6:30 to say i couldnt make it as i was aching and very very tired and thought it would be unsafe for me to drive even though i was down for the luton van that day. She said ok and then i recieved a text saying they would no longer be needing me as i was unreliable !!! My question is she has just text me asking for me to return my tachos, do i keep them for 28 days and then return them or give them straight back ■■

Tacho cards - you MUST retain them for at least 28 days by LAW but they can have photocopies if they wish

Also - on domestic regs the law is that a max of 10 hours driving and a max of 11 hours work can be done in any 24 hour period unless you drove less than 4 hours in which case no records are needed so in reality you/they could probably get away with anything

You did the right thing safety wise but as you have now learned, companies in this recession can do what they like because they know they can get some other mug to do it unsafely just by picking up the phone

This is a classic case of the choice between SAFETY or JOB

The job was only half hour away and ive just remembered i didnt drive that day, the other fella did so i did no driving in that 19hr shift, i still however felt unfit to drive their luton after 19hrs manual labour and 3 hrs sleep !
Cheers for the reply, i have just text her saying i must keep my tachos for 28 days

If I were you I wouldn’t even hand them to you with a gun to your back.

Companies like that are scum and I strongly advise you to write to her and make her aware that you intend to seek damages.

stagedriver:
Companies like that are scum and I strongly advise you to write to her and make her aware that you intend to seek damages.

Damages for what? For aching and feeling tired? You are funny.

I hope this helps.