Help needed about bulk tipper rates!

Lads,have been owner operator in the past,(and thought id got it out of my system)…(some of us never learn lol),but ive been offered some work ,26 ton payload,but am out of touch with national bulk tipper rates,as this is sand and gravel, and sometimes coal or building rubble,and is in the north east ,hull ,goole,leeds area,absolutely any info on current rates would be greatly appreciated,(before i jump again),many thanks for any post. :unamused:

Don’t know how you’ll make any money with a 26t payload,for me its 30t or bust :exclamation: :exclamation: :slight_smile:
Hauling building rubble in an artic means you need a steel bodied trailer which means heavy,which means crap payload when you go onto the stone/sand and especially coal :exclamation: :unamused:

I went on for a large tipper group based near derby in January with a bulk tipper with a 29 tonne payload and I stayed a week. This is why you may of seen my Actros for sale. I’ll give you an example of their pathetic rates. Sand from Southport to Doncaster - £5.00 a tonne. Coal from Hull to Rugeley £6.30 a tonne. Salt from Ellesmere Port to London area £10.30 a tonne. Sand from Broom to North London £3.00 a tonne. Any haulier that runs for them rates deserves to go bust.
Considering I get £5.30 a tonne for a 8 wheeler from Halkyn to Liverpool for stone / sand which is a 3/4hour run there is no comparison.
I can do Flat bed traction work with 5 tonne on the back and get £365 to north london compare that to the 30 tonne of salt for £299.
Artics are taking stone from Llanddulas to ellesmere port for £3.50 a tonne because the jetty where they load the ship was damaged in the bad winds we had recently. When I do that run on a 8 wheeler direct I get £5.19 a tonne. Need I go on !! So you will agree they are just busy fools !! If you can’t go direct to the customer without all the parasites taking “their cut” then I wouldn’t bother.

isn’t that true of 80% of o/d work? all the time there are lads willing to work for bare bones money then that will determine the rates that are available, it’s as simple as that!
one or two who post on here think £1.20 per mile is top banana money when in reality it’s the absolute minimum, i.e a good wage + profit but still they Que up to go on boxes and tippers for far less, then spend the next year moaning how the jobs crap!
in my humble opinion it’s well past time that all o/d’s clubbed together and dictated a minimum rate like has been done in most countries world wide except here! perhaps then we’d see the end of the freight forwarder who dosn’t know one end of a wagon from another?

You’re right Paul b. It is about time Owner drivers started to say no to work that doesn’t pay. If one load at £1.10 a mile doesn’t pay then 50 loads at £1.10 a mile won’t pay. I’m back on for a local family owned quarry with a 8 wheeler like I was before I tried bull**it freight. I was fortunate they took me back on. Phew! Live and learn!

TRIED BULK TIPPERS SUM 12 YEARS AGO ,RATES SEEM MUCH HE SAME AS NOWADAYS THE ONLY THING TO CHANGE IS THE WEIGHT /PAYLOAD YOU ARE HAULING. THESE COMPANIES ARE OBVIOSLEY AWARE OF EXTRA EXPENCE AND OVERHEADS INVOLVED IN THIS TYPE OF OPPERATION AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES SETTING SUCH RATES : . ATTENDING INTERVIEWS THEY SHOW YOU THE CREAM JOBS .ON PAPER THEY LOOK : VERY ATTRACTIVE : BUT ALAS THIS WORK IS ALLOCATED TO THERE OWN TRUCKS. (SAME OLD S**T DIFFERENT TRAILER COLOUR/MAKE)

in my humble opinion it’s well past time that all o/d’s clubbed together and dictated a minimum rate like has been done in most countries world wide except here! perhaps then we’d see the end of the freight forwarder who dosn’t know one end of a wagon from another

well said and its about time sumthin happened. But it never will, this is the **only country** where NOBODY unites and sticks together to get the message and/or actions across.[/u]
Nor can I see sum OD who is paying a grand plus per month for his motor down tools to get a decent rate,
But THAT IS WHAT IS NEEDED otherwise year in year out more and more go to the wall and its getting worse.

It appears judging by the above postings,that rates haven’t moved much in ten years. Tipper rates have always been on the low side, except where a few private deals were made.

The tough truth is, if it doesn’t pay then don’t do it. It’s a lesson that many still need to learn. Supply and demand, if there are enough operators out there still wanting to work for nothing. You can bet your life there’s somebody waiting to exploit them. You do have a choice.