Help needed a 20 year licence and want to return

Hello ladies and gentleman,I am just looking for a point in the right direction and any advise will be welcome.
I am hoping to carry on where I finished around 15 years ago,i passed class 1 19 years ago at 21, and drove for 18 months,then onto class 2 for 2 years,then due to family I had to change jobs and for the last 5 years i have been the been the stay at home dad, looking to the kids as the wife had a great job,but now needs must.

I can use chains,straps and tie dollys I have also used an hiab moving machinery(no ticket though) and done some tipper work.
I just dont know where to start and not sure of jumping in a modern truck as I have not been near one for years and so much seems to have changed(auto boxes modern trailers etc) :blush:

Although I did get a few hours drive in a truck 5 year ago it was daf cf artic went ok didnt touch kerb or out, reversing was a bit shabby but got there in the end.

I have got myself a tacho card and I guess I would need a sat nav something else I have never used,but from what I understand I dont need to do the cpc thing just yet.

Iam based between preston and bolton nr the M61,will I be classed as a new driver, or will the clean licence for all the years help.
How does signing up for a number of agencies work as I have only ever been in full time employment.

Looking forward to getting to know you all Chris

Hi Chris
There is quite a lot of work comming out of preston at the moment mate have a ride around walton summit
there are a few companies on the estate there who i have done work for now through the Agents and montgomeries have an advert for CE drivers on their website also you could try James hall (spar) just nr J31a off the M6 , just off the roundabout nr Preston services at Red Scare Industrial estate …

Best of Luck mate :laughing:

35 hours of driver periodic cpc before 09/09/2014 if you want to drive LGVs commercially after that date

Many rules have changed since 2007 -

EU REGS
NEW VOSA GUIDE GV262-03
NEW AETR REGS
MOBILE WTD
VOSA FINES

Welcome :slight_smile:

BillyBulmers:
will I be classed as a new driver, or will the clean licence for all the years help.

Your previous experience despite being 5 years ago will be an advantage over a completely new driver IME.

Why do you need a Sat Nav what did you do 20 years ago :question: Oh a good old map they do still make them you know :unamused: :bulb: & you call your self a proper driver :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

The Sat nav is only a tool for the job dont rely on it may help replace some A-Z but dont swear by it

You may not need to tie a dolly ( a lot here wont know what one is ) like you say due to modern lorry

Not all lorry are auto there are still some manual out there & some analog as well I have used both in the last 2 years

As has been said go out & look around call in & ask about work the other option is agency they will promise you every thing but deliver well not a lot

Most Jobs that are advertised are normally agency ( all the same job different agency ) they are now more a evil necessity

Hello, BillyBulmers and welcome to Trucknet.

If you can afford it, why not book 2-3 hours refresher training with a good training school, so you (and the instructor!) can see how rusty you are - or not.

It will certainly allow you to familiarise yourself with a more modern vehicle and will allay any fears / boost your confidence.

It also sounds better to a prospective employer that you were last driving a truck a week or so ago, rather than a couple of decades in the past!

Read up on the links ROG has listed, get some refresher hours in and ENJOY trucking again! :slight_smile:

Good luck to you.

Hi all,thanks for the info and advise,i will take it all onboard,this weekend i am trying to sort a CV out then i can hand it in to the firms i call into.
I will have a study of Rog’s links and refresh myself :laughing: I think i will get a satnav and a new Truckers atlas,i have lots of old maps if i take them i will be overweight :smiley:
And i will look into the cost of an hour or 2 lessons,can anyone recommend anyone?

Thanks again everyone, Chris.

Here

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

Hi Billy
If you are in preston try Paul at Hindley Green HGV mate he is one of the cheapest in the area i used him for my CE training and is only in wigon … Im sure he will be able to help you . :smiley:

animal:
Why do you need a Sat Nav what did you do 20 years ago :question:

We used to ask in petrol stations, but that was when petrol stations used to employ locals and not some 20 year old Vietnamese who arrived here last week. :wink:

Harry Monk:

animal:
Why do you need a Sat Nav what did you do 20 years ago :question:

We used to ask in petrol stations, but that was when petrol stations used to employ locals and not some 20 year old Vietnamese who arrived here last week. :wink:

This is true or you could nearly find a local to ask but now well or a Police but they dont know either

YAMBOL57:
Hi Billy
If you are in preston try Paul at Hindley Green HGV mate he is one of the cheapest in the area i used him for my CE training and is only in wigon … Im sure he will be able to help you . :smiley:

Does paul have an artic?

Harry Monk:

Do I have to get a translation book to ask the locals for directions :laughing:

YAMBOL57:
Hi Billy

Thanks YAMBOL57,what tractor does he use?

I had a look at a trailer today,didnt find the rachet brake :open_mouth:

just some buttons,and an handle which i presume works the suspension

BillyBulmers:

YAMBOL57:
Hi Billy

the brake is the red button :wink:

Denis F:

BillyBulmers:

YAMBOL57:
Hi Billy

the brake is usually a red button :wink: