Help me with my hours please

Hello im new to this site & new to driving.

My employer wants me to drive on multi drop delivery route with 20+ drops,which isnt achievable due to the nature of the unloading / checking at the drops.
Now i am supposed to work 10 hrs per day but am expected to work longer if need be due to it being a busy period.

My question is what would be my daily limit on working hours??
My journey will take 1hr 30 each way so i have to allow that on the way back.
I have been told its 15hrs max is this true??

My employer will want me to stay & deliver until the job is done but i am only willing to work 12-13 hrs tops.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

the gimp:
Hello im new to this site & new to driving.

Sounds like as you’re new to driving you’ve got one of those jobs (and bosses) that everybody else will steer clear of
Are we talking about EU drivers hours reg or van driving?

Aint the basics of driver hours part of the test these days. tachodisc have an app for drivers hours you may find that some help if your unsure of something that basic

chester1:
Aint the basics of driver hours part of the test these days. tachodisc have an app for drivers hours you may find that some help if your unsure of something that basic

Well I was thinking that that’s why I asked if it was a van, I also wonder if it’s somebody trolling. :confused:
Type in “EU Drivers hours regulations” into a search engine and you’ll get the information without hoping somebody will give you the correct answer on a forum, unless you want to wind up those who like to complain about new drivers and the DCPC.

In a nut shell
You can drive for up to 9 hours total but up to 10 hrs twice a week
You can work for 15 hours total per day,from shift start till shift ends eg 6am till 9pm
Your break time (min 45mins) is included in your shift time

If you are worried about running out of time then only you can decide if your sleeping in the vehicle or taking the remaining loads back.

The-Snowman:
In a nut shell
You can work for 15 hours total per day,from shift start till shift ends eg 6am till 9pm

If you are worried about running out of time then only you can decide if your sleeping in the vehicle or taking the remaining loads back.

Is that right :open_mouth: I know what your saying but your telling a NEWBIE who don’t seem to have a clue on any of the regs :unamused:

Sorry forgot to state that i am driving 18ton rigid.
Yes the test does ask with regards to tacho hours but only on driving hours where as i mean the working time directive and that isnt covered in any of the tests.

Although i will just cover 4 1/2 hrs driving for the full day i will be working 12+ hours for the day.some of my drops take 30-50 mins each.

From what i can find i can work 15,15,13,13,13 each day in any order.

Yes i have googled endlessly for an answer but between the 2 driving / working laws its near impossible to get a direct answer.

Can anybody please give a definite answer on this. I am not trying to take an easy route by asking people for help i am stuck,new to driving & need somebody with experience to tell me what my legal stance is.

Yes there is an app for tacho driving but its pointless i have to tell it when i drive,work,break,rest. Which is what im doing with my tacho anyway.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

nick2008:

The-Snowman:
In a nut shell

It that right :open_mouth: I know what your saying but your telling a NEWBIE who don’t seem to have a clue on any of the regs :unamused:

If your agreeing with me that its right (which it is) then what is your problem? You said it yourself,he’s a newbie. He might not understand it fully and wanted clarification. Is that not what forums are supposed to be for?

The-Snowman:

nick2008:

The-Snowman:
In a nut shell

It that right :open_mouth: I know what your saying but your telling a NEWBIE who don’t seem to have a clue on any of the regs :unamused:

If your agreeing with me that its right (which it is) then what is your problem? You said it yourself,he’s a newbie. He might not understand it fully and wanted clarification. Is that not what forums are supposed to be for?

some still forget or don’t know you need rest in there to do 15’s everyday …

Thank you snowman that was the answer i needed.

Although im a newbie it doesn’t mean ive not learned certain elements. Everybody was a new driver once and i find it a bit condescending that because im a newbie you automatically assume i know nothing.

As stated the test only learns you for driving hours NOT working / driving hours, obviously i come here for help & i appreciate those members that gave it me.thanks

nick2008:

The-Snowman:

nick2008:

The-Snowman:
In a nut shell

some still forget or don’t know you need rest in there to do 15’s everyday …

So I told him about the break situation. If he didnt know,then he does now. If he did know,then it does not matter that I mentioned it surely?

The 15 hours every day is not correct I’m afraid.

You can do a maximum spread-over of 13 hours a day, this can be increased to 15 hours three times between weekly rest periods.

Or to be more precise, you must have a daily rest period of at-least 11 hours every day, this can be reduced to nine hours three times between weekly rest periods.

Daily rest periods must be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.

Ok here goes, but I’m surprised that WTD isn’t covered with drivers hours regs as all are relevant.
This is the most basic explanation of regulations I can find.

Basic Tachograph Rules.
Maximum Driving Hours:
-Driving before requiring a break, 4.5 hours
-Daily driving, 9 hours, extended to 10 hours 2 times a week.
-Weekly, 56 hours
-Fortnightly, 90 hours.

Breaks, Rests, Duty times.
-Minimum of 45 minutes break, before completing no more than 4.5 hours driving, can be split into a 15 minute and then 30 minute rest, but not the other way round.
-Driving period is re-set after completion of a 45 minute break. (which means you can drive up to another 4.5 hours, if it doesn’t exceed your daily driving limit)
-Daily Rest 11 hours, can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times a week.
-Maximum duty time13 hours, can be extended to 15 hours 3 times a week. (A duty time of more than 13 hours is also considered to be a reduced Daily Rest)
-Daily Rest can be split into 2 separate periods one must be of at least 8 hours and the other of at least 3 hours. (if done this way it doesn’t count as a reduced Daily Rest period)
-Minimum Weekly Rest 45 hours, can be reduced to a minimum of 24 hours every other week, but the remainder of the hours have to be made up by the end of the 4th week following the reduction.
-Maximum of 144 hours between weekly rest periods, (6 x 24 hours)

Double Manning:
-Drivers must have a 9 hours consecutive rest in a 30 hours period.
-Breaks can be taken when you are the Co-Driver, but Rest Periods cannot be taken in the truck whilst it’s moving.
-Therefore the maximum duty time is 21 hours.

Definitions:
-Duty time, Is the time between 2 daily rest periods or a daily rest and a weekly rest.
-Break, is a period of time when a driver is not doing any work, however it can be taken in a moving vehicle
-Rest, is an uninterrupted period where a driver can freely dispose of his time.

Tachograph Modes:
-Drive: Activated automatically when the vehicle moves
-Other Work: Use to record all work activity, this includes Daily checks and Re-fuelling.
-POA, Period of Availability used to record waiting times, when the duration of the wait is known,
-Rest: Use to record Rest or Break Periods.

Running over Hours.
-If due to unforeseen circumstances you run over your hours, write an explanation on the back of your Tachograph or on the back of a digital tachograph printout.
-Unforeseen Circumstances are on road events you could not reasonably expect to plan for, such as delays caused by: Accidents, Bad Weather, Mechanical Breakdown, Interruption for Ferry Services

Working Time Directive
-Average of 48 hours work a week
-Maximum of 60 hours work in a week:
-A working week start at 00:00 Monday
-Working time does not include; routine travel between home and their normal place of work. rest, breaks, Evening classes, day-release courses, Voluntary work or time spent as a Retained Fire Fighter, a Special Constable, or member of the Reserve Forces.
-Maximum of 10 hours work in a 24 hour period if doing night work.
-Any time worked between midnight and 4am is considered to be night work.
-Normal reference period 17 weeks,
-Reference period and night working hours can be extended by workforce agreement
-Statutory paid annual leave/sick leave cannot be used to reduce the average working time of a mobile worker. For each week of leave that is taken, 48 hours working time must be added to their working time; for each day’s leave, 8 hours must be added to working time.
-Records must be kept for 2 years
-Those who do few than 11 days driving under EU drivers hours regulations in a 17 week reference period are exempt from the Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations. This is increase to less than 16 days if the reference period is extended to 26 weeks.
-Workers should not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
-A minimum 15 break must be taken within the first 6 hours work.
-If the daily working hours are between 6 to 9 hours then breaks totaling at least 30 minutes are required.
-Where working hours are more than 9 hours a day then breaks totaling a minimum of 45 minutes are required.
-Breaks should be at least 15 minutes in duration.
-If breaks are taken to comply with drivers hours regulations then these will also count as breaks for the WTD.

When on multidrop, you rarely need to worry about driving hours, just be aware that you must take a 15 minute break within 6 hours working time .

In a nutshell.

Don’t drive more than 4.5 hours without a break if 45 minutes.

Don’t work more than 6 hours without a break of at least 15 minutes.

Given the hours you will work have a total of 45 minutes break during the shift.

Seems you will be doing 5 days so weekly tests will take care of themselves.

Work a maximum of 13 hours start to finish of shift. If necessary you can extend that to a maximum of 15 hours 3 times between your weekly rest periods.

That should cover your situation and you don’t need to worry about anything more complicated at the moment.

Snarley:
When on multidrop, you rarely need to worry about driving hours, just be aware that you must take a 30 minute break within 6 hours working time if you are working 9 hours or more.

15 minutes, not 30. And it’s 45 minutes total for more than 9 hours work. Apart from that you were spot on!!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Snarley:
When on multidrop, you rarely need to worry about driving hours, just be aware that you must take a 30 minute break within 6 hours working time if you are working 9 hours or more.

Uh oh!!

Actrosman:

Snarley:

Uh oh!!

Yea
6-9hours require breaks totaling 30 minutes of which at least 15 minutes must be taken within the first 6 hours of work.
more than 9 hours then it’s a total of 45 minutes.

tachograph:
The 15 hours every day is not correct I’m afraid.

You can do a maximum spread-over of 13 hours a day, this can be increased to 15 hours three times between weekly rest periods.

Or to be more precise, you must have a daily rest period of at-least 11 hours every day, this can be reduced to nine hours three times between weekly rest periods.

Daily rest periods must be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.

I was on about having a split Rest Tach that would allow that amount but not in work if you get my drift

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71511