Help me get started!

hello

can anyone help?! I am 23 and have been working as a driver for 4 years now jobs include, multi-drop, home deliveries and courier work.

i started as a freelance courier in January but find my insurance is high (first policy i have took out and its for business use) and paying the loan back that i bought my van with is leaving me with little profit. I enjoy the long journeys and if poss travel at night.

I have had the intention to become a lorry driver but with financial circumstances i cannot afford the training. Does anyone know of any companies in the merseyside/ cheshire areas that could help me with a sponsorship/ training scheme?

any help or advise would be greatfull recieved!

martyn b

Welcome to TruckNet UK, martyn.

Sorry, I’ve got no ideas on how you can proceed from where you are.
The most likely bet, is to check Yellow Pages and visit likely looking companies.

Another option is to start at the other end, go to the training providers and ask them who they might be able to recommend, as a company who might be willing to sponsor you.

You should also bear in mind that any company which did help you in this way, would expect you to sign some sort of agreement which would tie you to them for at least a couple of years or pay them back in cash in full.

Welcome to Truck Net martyn, I have sent a personal message with a link onto a Courier Owner Drivers Forum who may be able to help with the situation you find yourself in at the moment, good luck.

Hi martyn…if i need any1 ,i WILL bear you in mind

alan…whats the owner drivers forum addres?..i may check it out myself :wink:

Hi Martyn,

My brother-in-law joined to “TA” about four months ago, they have since funded his class C license, and he is booked in for his C+E next month, all at the army’s expense. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just a thought.

Regards
Paul

Hi PaulGY, welcome to TruckNetUK. Glad to see you’re posting.

Or another idea is to go out and commit a crime, maybe nick a few cars or something…oh no, you will most probably only get a fine if its your first offence.
Best idea is to keep re-offending, get yourself a tidy year in the slammer and come out the other end with your Class 1 licence :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It may be worth your while to call S Cooper Transport (red Daf’s I believe) in the Winsford (?) area. I’ve seen one of their motors about with ‘L’ plates on, .
So maybe, just maybe…

Best of Luck

Kate

I got mine done through an own account company. Delivering their own goods with a 7.5 tonner and they put me through my class 1 (they wanted only class 3 but at the time it cost no more to do class 1)

Dave

Thanks for the welcome Simon, I`m a bit new to computers and the internet, its almost has scary has driving trucks.

paulGY:
Thanks for the welcome Simon, I`m a bit new to computers and the internet, its almost has scary has driving trucks.

No problem Mate, all part of the service :sunglasses: :smiley: . Do’nt be shy, especially in this forum. Any questions you may have, feel free to ask. Any answers you may be able to contribute are also equaly welcome.

:bulb: As it says in someones signature (can’t remember who’s). Asking a question may make you feel a fool for a second, but the real fool is the one who never asks questions :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

hi all, thanks for the advice

does anyone no much about Uniloads - commercial vehicle delivery and what the work involves. i see they offer lgv training but not 100% sure what the company is like and if it would be a good way to get myself and lgc license :confused:

martyn

uniloads a you say deliver vehicles so much of the work is trade plate work which is good to get a foot in the door but involves waitng around msas trying to get a lift.

have a look at these linkshttp://www.trucknetuk.com/bbsuk/Forum1/HTML/001462.html

http://www.trucknetuk.com/bbsuk/Forum4/HTML/000787.html

these are from the old forums so maybe dated

uniloads web site ishere

hope it helps

jon

Thanks jonboy!

after reading some of these stories…i dont think its for me…i am not into the idea of hitching or having to wait ages for a lift! However the free traing is tempting so i guess i will gjust have to keep on looking!! :unamused:

martyn

cbr si has just started uniloads and his story is on the main pdf here

jon

i had a read of his work experience in the job and although it sounds interesting i dont think its for me esp if they train me up for my license and i am then with them for a min of 18 months. i sent an email off to S. Cooper Transport in winsford but doesnt look like they will reply so i guess i will have to save up for the next few months before i can get going with any sort of training towards a lgv license

Thanks for ur help :slight_smile:

Yup, its very rare to get anything for nothing mate. If a company invests £1 - ,2000 in training you up to class 1, they will expect some return on their money. As I said, something like a two year contract, or actual cash in the hand to let you go, is about the norm. Its money that greases the wheels that make our world go around :laughing: :laughing: .
If you’ve been unemployed for more than 6 months, you may be eligible for training.
You can also try this post for ideas, I don’t know if they’ll be any good to you though. Here.

Unfortunatly i have found in life its all about the money!!

Anyhow, just been looking at my local lgv traing centre, they charge £550 for a 20 hour course and £45 for a medical, i havent found anywhere else as yet close to me…but guessing this is the norm price?

Better get saving those pennies!! :confused:

OurMike, you have a PM. Mal.