Help I can't get a job

did you get a job yet?

EaGledrives:

chriswvtr:

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
I’ll keep it quick and simple I passed my C&E 2 weeks ago, after driving buses for 20 plus years I need a career change.
I live in Glasgow and I’m willing to drive to surrounding areas but every application I’ve sent out gets knocked back, how the hell do you get that first job does anyone know of any agencies I can give a call or even any companies willing to start newbies.
Cheers

2 weeks is nothing. I passed in May and still looking…

I passed in April, also still looking.

Evri have just opened a enormous distribution centre on my doorstep with 150 bays.

Agency sent me for assessment and they took one look at my licence and sent me home.

Did they give you any explanation, or was it just the obvious no experience?

They said I needed to have held my licence for 6 months so if I do nothing for a couple of months when I’ve forgotten even more of my training they’ll employ me but not now while it’s fresher in my mind. :unamused:

chriswvtr:
They said I needed to have held my licence for 6 months so if I do nothing for a couple of months when I’ve forgotten even more of my training they’ll employ me but not now while it’s fresher in my mind.

It sounds like a classic of example of the insurance stipulating 6 months of holding the licence. The local management have probably been lumbered with this using the seagull management technique… swoop in, ■■■■ from a great height, then fly off.

chriswvtr:
They said I needed to have held my licence for 6 months so if I do nothing for a couple of months when I’ve forgotten even more of my training they’ll employ me but not now while it’s fresher in my mind.

Exactly my concern, too.

Noremac:
It sounds like a classic of example of the insurance stipulating 6 months of holding the licence.

Insurance companies need their arses kicking then. OK…so I technically held my licence for 6 months now, but I’m out of recency and potentially forgetting stuff. How in the heck am I a lower risk now?

Same prob. Passed my Class 1 and applied for a few jobs with high expectations only to get turned down for them all…

Many suggested to go via the agency route while in my current office role so emailed 5 agency’s and every one of them ignored me…

Exactly the same as when i passed my class 2 in 2009 - was unable to get anything then and no different today

this is the problem I’m now having.

Cant get a job without experience… How are you meant to get the experience? I’ve approached a load of agencies, loads of actual hauliers and companies. I’m keeping a spreadsheet of all the applications, and if they actually get back to me. So far I’ve had 3 no’s off David Watson, Tesco and Culina, two of who’m said they will accept new pass’s to apply. Only to be rejected in under 12 hours…

Others I’ve had phone calls with, and email tennis, to then have them go quiet and not respond to further emails. Its a bit disheartening, I’m sure something will come up, but after self funding the lessons etc as I’ve wanted to do this for years, well, its a bit pants.

Have you gone to companies with your CV and handed it to the TM :question:

PS - with work gear in car boot :bulb:

chriswvtr:

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
I’ll keep it quick and simple I passed my C&E 2 weeks ago, after driving buses for 20 plus years I need a career change.
I live in Glasgow and I’m willing to drive to surrounding areas but every application I’ve sent out gets knocked back, how the hell do you get that first job does anyone know of any agencies I can give a call or even any companies willing to start newbies.
Cheers

Evri have just opened a enormous distribution centre on my doorstep with 150 bays.

Agency sent me for assessment and they took one look at my licence and sent me home.

Was that the place near Barnsley mate? Who was the agency? (PM if you dont want it on here?)

They have got a cheek. Desperate for drivers then suddenly when there are some they want experienced drivers.

Hang in there. In the run up to Xmas you’ll be in with a good shout…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Some advice for those here who have just passed their test and are looking for work .
As an example - you want to tramp .
Pack a bag with a couple of changes of clothes, wash kit and bedding, hivis ,gloves hard hat, Phone , satnav/ maps, chargers ,licence and DCPC card.

Get out and go and visit haulage yards , ask to speak to the boss , let them see you in their yard ready to go . Biggest resaon you don’t get a call back or an email is because many have been let down before when people just didn’t show up. SHOW UP and be ready , you could hit it lucky a driver sick , hasn’t turned in , or walked out can be the opening you need - a truck sitting with a load and no driver is every good bosses nightmare .
If you are standing there ready to go clothes , gear ,phone, wallet and licence and cards - that load could be on its way in 30 minutes without having to ring an agency and waiting 2-3 hours for a driver to possibly arrive .
If your there and you look willing and able your the best bet that boss has at that moment - thats all you need . Haulage isn’t about qualifications or assessments - if you boil it all down its simply about getting the job done - do the job - you’ll be kept .

beefy4605:
Some advice for those here who have just passed their test and are looking for work .
As an example - you want to tramp .
Pack a bag with a couple of changes of clothes, wash kit and bedding, hivis ,gloves hard hat, Phone , satnav/ maps, chargers ,licence and DCPC card.

Get out and go and visit haulage yards , ask to speak to the boss , let them see you in their yard ready to go . Biggest resaon you don’t get a call back or an email is because many have been let down before when people just didn’t show up. SHOW UP and be ready , you could hit it lucky a driver sick , hasn’t turned in , or walked out can be the opening you need - a truck sitting with a load and no driver is every good bosses nightmare .
If you are standing there ready to go clothes , gear ,phone, wallet and licence and cards - that load could be on its way in 30 minutes without having to ring an agency and waiting 2-3 hours for a driver to possibly arrive .
If your there and you look willing and able your the best bet that boss has at that moment - thats all you need . Haulage isn’t about qualifications or assessments - if you boil it all down its simply about getting the job done - do the job - you’ll be kept .

So would something like 7-8am be best?

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

Marky-p:

chriswvtr:

Truckulent:
Was that the place near Barnsley mate? Who was the agency? (PM if you dont want it on here?)

They have got a cheek. Desperate for drivers then suddenly when there are some they want experienced drivers.

Hang in there. In the run up to Xmas you’ll be in with a good shout…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yeah, the one near Barnsley, I live at Tankersley so its walking distance for me, applied through Challenge NRG, they said Evri had not told them that I would need 6 months on the licence, I used a days holiday to go for the assessment so I was really annoyed.

Technically I now have held my licence 6 months so could go back and try again but to be honest the industry has left a nasty taste in my mouth so I’m not sure I want to.

I’m in the same situation.

I was taken ill suddenly earlier in the year so it killed my job hunting, but everything is fixed and I’m good to go! My appendix won’t be joining me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is it literally the dates they look at on the licence for the “6 months” thing? At least that has had time to accrue…

I think ROG answer was the best. Get in your car and visit some companies, they will be looking at a new driver. You’ll be doing them a favour because you are a new driver but be gracious and grateful an all that and tell them what you want “if possible” “with your approval” use all that polite stuff and be polite, they can see your cool but if you just send a c.v. you’re just another piece of paper… Have tried indeed -’ that seems to work.

Drive to places where there are loads of haulage companies close together in one block like, for example, if you wanted to be considered for Containers you would go to the Ports near you. Or you might fancy the Post Office Royal mail. There’s a large national company called Turners, they would be one of your first steps, give them a call tomorrow.

DarrenFraser:

Marky-p:

DarrenFraser:
Cheers

Marky-p:

Papaya:
Same, passed in May, 99% of companies want 6 months to 2 years experience. I’ve just applied for DHL for a second time at the same depot. I had a small reversing assessment and they said I’d need a few days training before a final assessment. Heard nothing back. Now they advertise the job again a month later :neutral_face:

I should clarify…I have actually been given 3 job offers, one of which I accepted but the job didn’t work out in the end. The other 2 jobs were just too far to commute. Another job has asked me to do their assessment again as I was very close to passing their reversing standards so I may be doing that next week.

I do have a couple of other options coming up soon via agencies…so it’s not like I’ve had no luck at all.

I will just keep plugging away until I get there as its not in my nature to give up anyway.

You’ll get there eventually, hang in there.

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

A reversing exercise puts the fear of god into me I know I’d struggle with this assessment I spent about 30 minutes reversing before being handed my certificate.

30 minutes reversing on the CE test?! Good grief how did you not fail old son?

ROG:
Have you gone to companies with your CV and handed it to the TM :question:

PS - with work gear in car boot :bulb:

I prefer wearing the work gear, squeaky clean at the interview Boots, Hi Viz,

Also, you’ve got companies who will test drive you and if they think you are good and safe (well you HAVE got a licence!) they’ll train you up to their hot standards and bobs yer uncle. Also, some large companies like Turners have their own insurance company and are better placed to establish whether or not you have what it takes and will take you on with a Mentor and some more training (which is FREE) I know a savvy lad who went straight from Car - to HGV Class one and straight onto double deckers - it’s out there, you just have to hassle, nicely :smiley:

Good luck, another thing, you are holding a Class 1 C+E licence at last, that’s no mean thing. Drive well, you earned it!

One more thing, as with other industries like flying, working on holiday sites or container shipping driving - there is a season. And off season you may not find diddly squat and you will think it’s you, it’s not you. On season and they are calling you sir and getting back to you in 24 hours. So don’t forget there is always a season.

Just passed my class 1 from car . Sounds a nightmare about getting new job . Think I might just make a load of stuff up just to get that first job . Forward drive no problem for me . Reverse different story. I mean how they going to know my history? Thinking of just totally blanking it and get some experience.

Mattdriver1:
Just passed my class 1 from car . Sounds a nightmare about getting new job . Think I might just make a load of stuff up just to get that first job . Forward drive no problem for me . Reverse different story. I mean how they going to know my history? Thinking of just totally blanking it and get some experience.

So when they download your driver card, what history is it going to have on it?
Nevermind looking at the date of your pass.

On a more positive note, I’ve never had an assessment from an agency yet.