Help going to germany tomo trailer hight is 13ft 6

can any body help going to germany tomo (kolleda) im in artic that is 13ft 6 (4.11m) and been told by transport manger that the heights ok.
two frends have told me german bridges are 4.0 m also transport manger says i do not need to pay a tax in belgem

You do need to pay a tax ‘Euro Vignette’ in Belgium, but not in Germany. What you may well be paying in Germany is a big fine for hitting a bridge. :wink: Height limit is 4.0 m and plenty of the bridges are this height including some over Autobahns. You will likely get through Belgium OK at that height but Germany could be a problem.

thank should save me some money in fines going to have to upset transport manger and refuse it

You should tell your boss to get a new transport manager!
As coffee said,a lot of the bridges on the autobahns are 4m,and you most definately do need to buy a Eurovignette for driving in Belgium.
If you get caught without one you will be fined MEGABUCKS!

Definately 4 metres.max.Some bridges are lower especially around the Ruhr
If you go through Aachen it wont be as far to walk home.

Where abouts are you going to? or not going to?

You will get nicked for no vignette in Belgium

He said where he was going in his first post Wheelnut, Kolleda which is over near Erfurt so a long way to get from the border without hitting any bridges. :wink: :smiley:

been on to manager he tells me trailer has been before or one like it told me to get to first bridge if it does not go throw i turn round and bring load back

Maybe that trailer or one like it has been before but was it on a different unit? Different units may carry the trailer at different heights depending on type of 5th wheel fitted, type of wheels and tyres etc.

Also do you know the route it went last time as to where yopu are going there are one or two options route wise, you may just go a different way and…

I wouldn’t take it at that height. Even if you don’t hit anything if you get stopped in a control, of which there are many these days, you may well get measured and nicked anyway.

when I worked for Westermann all the UK reg trucks were at least 4.1m…mine was 4.15m we did loads of Germany and never had any problems…even some of the German Westermann trucks were the same height.(4.15m) I got stopped once in Germany & measured, but they just let me carry on
I think I covered all of the Autobahn network as well, so bridges are ok

I got stopped for being overheight in Germany. 40 foot trailer with a tank container. got measured by some automatic device near Castrop Rauxel. and pulled by BAG.

It was overheight because the manlid was propped on the pegs. Because the tank was clean with sattest I was allowed to continue.

I also set off the warning lights in Amsterdam (Kuhn Tunnel) with a tilt. it was only 4.0metres but the roof was flapping with the wind.

Coffeholic. I wasnt suggesting he tried to drive in Germany but to leave it at the border. I just missed the destination

I know you weren’t suggesting that Malc, I was just pointing out to you that he had mentioned his destination and I was saying he would be risking a lot as it’s a long way from the border. :smiley:

jimti:
when I worked for Westermann all the UK reg trucks were at least 4.1m…mine was 4.15m we did loads of Germany and never had any problems…even some of the German Westermann trucks were the same height.(4.15m) I got stopped once in Germany & measured, but they just let me carry on
I think I covered all of the Autobahn network as well, so bridges are ok

Think you were lucky then jimti as there are many 4.0m bridges over the Autobahn.

the limit is 4.0 m so I think he shouldn’t risk it as it will be on his shoulders if anything goes wrong.

as I said ALL UK reg Westermann trucks were built over height and most of their work was in Germany, and I had no problems…They (authorities) must make allowances for snow etc, so when a Bridge is signed 4m it has some leeway,
I believe that W/mann D would have ensured all their trucks could transit their own country when they had them built, even the British ones were built to Westermann spec… I did know some bridges that were a bit tight in Germany, but they were off the A/bahn.If you know Germany, you will know that Essen is reputed to have many low bridges, we could get under all the ones signed 4m…However, I do think it is wrong to knowingly send a truck into a country when it is over height, but they do clear the bridges on all the German Autobahns.

used to run germany weekly with thompson jewitt tilts and they were 4.1, makes your buttocks clench going under the bridges between aachen and koln :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: . your right jimti, i`ve been under some marked as low as 3.8 (before i get slated-i went very slowly and hung out the cab looking up!!). there marked with leeway. jon

well im back and by god them bridges are low :open_mouth: found out alot more on it as well got to aachen and rang company and refused to go any further they then thro one saying i would not get paid so i explaned no prob ill fly home by the way your lorry and its load is in germany (they soon agreed to pay ) kept telling me to go i kept saying no in the mean time my wife decided to ring rha who informed her it is illegal to run a truck in germany over 4 m without a permit but to my shock belgum also (thought those bridges was low) if you get stopped being over hieght they just make you park up until you get a permit which takes a week
got back transport manger was not talking to me they dont want to pay me but are going to
the company have asked me to do another run today and promised a 4m trailer turned them down cuz im out of hours wouldn stop them asking again tho

mike

thanks to every one for the advice helped alot and to the r.h.a.

4.1, makes your buttocks clench going under the bridges

know that feeling well !!!
The Muppets draw bar I had was 4.1 metre and was tight on many bridges especially on the older Autobahns in southern Germany, However I never had a problem and always got under,

The Blackwall tunnel however was a different story!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

@ Rikki :smiley: