HELP! gain hgv 2 experience first or train for CLASS ONE

Hello all

Įust neef bit of advice weather i should gain experience on hgv 2 before i go in for my class one?

I personally did.
I passed my class 2 test found work and gave it 6,months before booking my class 1.
I take my class 1 over the next few weeks but the assessment drive and confidence that 6 months gives you i felt made so much difference.
In 6 months ive gained a wealth of experience and feel ready for my class 1 as apposed to second guessing myself.
However every 1 handles things differently :slight_smile:

I was thinking to stick with class two for a while so i can get use to driving on the roads etc…

Plus more likely to find a class one job once av passed if av been driving hgv 2 for sometime.

Cheers for the advice

There’s no right and wrong to this one. My personal view is that it’s a plan to go straight to CE from C. Easier whilst in learning mode, no bad habits and the cost will not go down. However, it’s perfectly valid to get some experience which may aid confidence.

My general advice is to go for it if funds are available. But not to go into debt for it. Better then to get experience, and wages, on C.

Another point to bear in mind is that you make yourself more employable with CE rather than restricting yourself to C.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I opted for the gain C experience first and then go for CE. I wish I hadn’t. I never really wanted to drive rigids in the first place but owing to my wife getting ill I’ve had to use the money I had saved for training CE on living costs so now I’m stuck for a good while longer doing jobs I don’t want to do. I’ve also picked up bad habits, especially with the wheel and wish Idve just booked CE straight away after passing C.

If i could afford it i would go straight for C+E. I passed my C in December and am trying to find a start somewhere, but there seems to be a lot more C+E jobs around when looking. If i didn’t need to have gone for C i wouldn’t have bothered! Artics is where my heart lies and i can’t wait to get there to be honest. If there was some sort of finance scheme around i’d take it just to get there!

I did mine back to back with in 4 weeks of each other and best thing I ever did I did one shift on class 2 day after I passed my class one I hated it I would not like to drive one again my experience I struggled like he’ll 2 get a start on any so might aswell get c+e straight after

Thanks for advice people really appreciated!

I am going to give redrose a ring later to book in for assessment drive :smiley:

Mosey:
Thanks for advice people really appreciated!

I am going to give redrose a ring later to book in for assessment drive :smiley:

My earlier post convinced me to do the same :smiley: I’ve just booked my C+E assessment drive for next week. I’ll find the money somehow, even if i have so sell the wife! Any takers?

Hahahaha wife will kill u…were do you neil? Why do u think you cant a start?

Am based in liverpool seems to alot advertised.

How long did you wait for a start sam?

*live

Mosey:
Hahahaha wife will kill u…were do you neil? Why do u think you cant a start?

Am based in liverpool seems to alot advertised.

She would have to catch me first! Don’t know really, I went of an interview yesterday and all seemed to go well but it was for multi drop caged work. Money wasn’t too bad for class 2, but I know my hearts not in rigid work so maybe that’s coming through when I meet people! I am in Kent.

Suppose if your heart not in it u might as well go straight for class 1. Good luck mate with your training.

PLEASE don’t go to the brokers to get finance.

Personally I did Class 2 work first. I’d spent my savings getting to there anyway. Did 6 months on the agency, took 3 months off to try and start my own business, used last of savings to do Class 1 and now I’m sat at home calling every company in a 30 mile radius.

How many are hiring? 2-3 maybe. How many want to hire a new pass? 1-2. How many will hire a 20 year old? 0. But that doesn’t answer your question, I just like to rant a little. :unamused:

Also yeah if you need money ask the bank. Or put it on a credit card, if you’re close to 30 you should be able to get 0% APR.

Peter Smythe:
PLEASE don’t go to the brokers to get finance.

Don’t worry Pete, would need to be self financed through 0% cc or similar. I have a classic Mini in the garage i may sell.

I think another thing to consider is how much you would be happy to earn

Do class 1 drivers earn that much more than class 2 drivers in general? I am not qualified to answer that question though.

Perhaps somebody in the know might be able to shed some light on the situation

I have a classic Mini in the garage i may sell.

Really? Would it look nice at the side of my Riley? Maybe you should pm me a picture. Might be a deal to be done.

Peter Smythe:

I have a classic Mini in the garage i may sell.

Really? Would it look nice at the side of my Riley? Maybe you should pm me a picture. Might be a deal to be done.

That’s nice Pete, don’t think the Mini is up to that standard! 1993 white Italian Job Special edition. Great fun. I’ll stick a photo on when i can.