Help for George (funnyfut), Teckie needed

Some of you may have read George’s thread in the Health and Family Forum, some perhaps not.
George is now, after a long illness, in a hospice in Sussex and for the first time is without his internet access. The only way to get his communications with the outside world restored (telephone contact depends on a nurse being free to bring him a phone) is apparently something called a wifi USB mobile broadband dongle. You can see why I am issueing this appeal. :unamused:
If you are able to help with info and advice please take a few minutes to check out his thread in the H&F Forum,

‘I took the warning signs too late’

Thank you.

Spardo:
Some of you may have read George’s thread in the Health and Family Forum, some perhaps not.
George is now, after a long illness, in a hospice in Sussex and for the first time is without his internet access. The only way to get his communications with the outside world restored (telephone contact depends on a nurse being free to bring him a phone) is apparently something called a wifi USB mobile broadband dongle. You can see why I am issueing this appeal. :unamused:
If you are able to help with info and advice please take a few minutes to check out his thread in the H&F Forum,

‘I took the warning signs too late’

Thank you.

Hi David, and thanks for keeping us updated about George.
I used to use a t-mobile USB dongle on my laptop but to be honest mate, mine wasnt
that clever, as it only wanted to work in certain locations and a lot of the time it run
very slow. I dont know if any others on here have or know of another network that
maybe better than the one i had, but im sure somebody will come along soon maybe
with some more Advice on this mate. Wish George all the best for the New year for
us David, and that goes to everyone.

All the best, Wayne.

If you go on the mobile phone provider websites, you’ll be able to compare which company will give you the best deal. Once you’ve got the dongle, plug it into the usb port and it should install itself prompting you to insert the driver disc that’s supplied with the dongle, it’s that simple. Hope this helps. :wink:

The Highway Man:
If you go on the mobile phone provider websites, you’ll be able to compare which company will give you the best deal. Once you’ve got the dongle, plug it into the usb port and it should install itself prompting you to insert the driver disc that’s supplied with the dongle, it’s that simple. Hope this helps. :wink:

as highway man says there usuall self installing but depends on the operating system of georges computer

if u visit the various mobile providers there is usually a inteeractive coverage map so u can see which network would suit george best

and im sure there is some good deals out there on pay as u go dongles

Three has the best coverage and is probably the best out of the lot for a dongle.
Orange are crap as you dont get as much data for your money
Vodafone are the same plus there contracts are 24months
T-mobile same as orange

Coverage checker three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband … ed?id=1403

Take a look at the options here
Pay monthly threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?id=1403
Pay as you go threestore.three.co.uk/payg/?modem=1&id=1403

My recommendation would be either the 1 month rolling contract for £15 a month for 5gb of data threestore.three.co.uk/dealsumma … =1MB5GD003
or if he is a light user maybe the £7.50 a month for 1gb but it is a 18 months contract threestore.three.co.uk/dealsumma … 18MB1GD028

Thanks Bubsy, I’ve answered your post in George’s thread. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who has come forward with help and advice and, for those who don’t know, we think we have got George organised with a dongle from ‘3’ on a 1 month rolling contract at £15, as recommended by Bubsy.
The finance for this is coming from The Professional Drivers’ Foundation with the kind help of Pat Nicholson and anyone who was thinking of helping George out can make their contribution by a donation to this organisation. :smiley: