Help driver hours?

Hi hope someone on here can help regarding driver hours. I passed my theory test a few months back and will be looking to do my class 2 in Jan. I’m trying to get my head around how many hours I can work. I have a full time job where I work a average 9 hour days over 6 days. I then get 4 rest days ( days off) I do not attend to leave my current job and just want to earn some extra cash and build my driving experience up on my days off.So the question is with the shifts I work how many hours could I do as truck driver and when.

To clarify its a 6 day week working 9 hrs a day

Anyone?

Don’t be a greedy ■■■■■■■ and stick to one job. How would you like it if I came and stole a few days premium rate off of you?

Well I’m shocked Truckbling. I’m not stealing anybody jobs. So what if I want to earn some extra money for my family what’s wrong with that?

Do what you want on your days off. But don’t get caught.

romey:
Hi hope someone on here can help regarding driver hours. I passed my theory test a few months back and will be looking to do my class 2 in Jan. I’m trying to get my head around how many hours I can work. I have a full time job where I work a average 9 hour days over 6 days. I then get 4 rest days ( days off) I do not attend to leave my current job and just want to earn some extra cash and build my driving experience up on my days off.So the question is with the shifts I work how many hours could I do as truck driver and when.

If you are doing a 6 on then 4 off rota with your regular non EU regs job you can fit in some EU regs driving on those days off but its going to be difficult to say which days you can drive without looking at your rota so all I can do is to give you some info to work from so you can work it out

A fixed week for the EU regs is sunday midnight to sunday midnight - this is usually known as ‘week’

Every other week a regular weekly rest must be taken which must be 45 hours off in one go or in your case to make it easier we will say 2 days off

Other weeks can be a reduced weekly rest of at least 24 hours off in one go or in your case we will say 1 day off

Official records for your usual job must be done in any week in which you drive under EU regs and the easiest way to do that is to use a separate analogue card for each day worked with your name date start and finish time on each card
In a week where no EU regs driving was done then no records are required for that week and a week without records is usually regarded as rest by the authorities but if they do ever check with your usual employer and find that is not the case then you can be in hot water - would that happen in reality? = unlikely

The maximum number of hours that can be done between any two weekly rests (regular or reduced) is 144 hours or 6 days so doing 6 days in the usual job then driving on day 7 is not allowed - driving for 1 day then working the following 6 days is not allowed

Have fun with that info

Rog thank you very much for finding the time to put a detailed answer up. I’m a lot clear now then I was before. My average over the month works out to 40 hrs a week. By what your saying it’s going defer each week to what hrs I can work. I’ll try getting my head around it. Once again many thanks.

romey:
Rog thank you very much for finding the time to put a detailed answer up. I’m a lot clear now then I was before. My average over the month works out to 40 hrs a week. By what your saying it’s going defer each week to what hrs I can work. I’ll try getting my head around it. Once again many thanks.

Suggest putting your rota on a spreadsheet and colouring the separate fixed weeks then using the info I provided to fit in any possible driving days

Yes will do that. Looks like that is going to be the easiest way to work it out. Just from what you said at least it’s possible on my 3rd rest day. Cheers

Maybe the dcpc will get rid of all the weekend warriors who have full time jobs and use haulage as a means to top up their earnings usually by working illegally as regards the driver hour rules.
Nothing personal whatsoever, just sick of all the greedy people with full time jobs who work weekends in haulage at lower rates just so the agencies will ring them first.

Truckbling:
Maybe the dcpc will get rid of all the weekend warriors who have full time jobs and use haulage as a means to top up their earnings usually by working illegally as regards the driver hour rules.
Nothing personal whatsoever, just sick of all the greedy people with full time jobs who work weekends in haulage at lower rates just so the agencies will ring them first.

How can it be wrong that the OP is prepared to get of his backside and try to earn extra money?

Lusk:

Truckbling:

How can it be wrong that the OP is prepared to get of his backside and try to earn extra money?

He has already said he has a full time job that he wont be leaving.
Lets say that you regularly get Saturday morning in as overtime but al lof a sudden they stop giving it to you because someone is doing it cheaper and they have a full time job during the week, would you be happy?

Truckbling:

Lusk:

Truckbling:

He has already said he has a full time job that he wont be leaving.
Lets say that you regularly get Saturday morning in as overtime but al lof a sudden they stop giving it to you because someone is doing it cheaper and they have a full time job during the week, would you be happy?

No, I would be far from happy in that situation but if his situation is bona fide (which probably none of us will know including the OP), then I would say go for it.

I’m not out to take anybody’s job. Yes I have a full time job but I’m sure there are other people out there who have 2nd jobs. I suppose if I’m honest deep down I’m hoping trucking works out for me and then I might consider doing trucking full time.However I’m not about to just walk out on my current job I’ve got a family to feed like most other people on here. We will see how it all pans out in the New Year I’ve got to pass the test first. Once again thanks for all the advise.