Help choosing a trucker sat nav

Hi, ok Im newbie and just starting to work with lorries and I need truck sat nav…so I ordered Snooper SC5800 Truckmate from Ebay, I got it and I really didnt liked it, I tried with my car and its slow(it always behind me, I pass turn then it shows me to turn there…), bad search engine(I put address it finds just intersections), problems with calculating route( Im working with vans now until I start with lorries, and when I come to work, I enter address, many times says that route failed), my old sygic car navigation in phone works no problem with these addresses… I returned it to seller and ended up with snooper. Now Im thinking about 7inch android tablet+Aponia truck or CoPilot navigation OR maybe again dedicated sat nav TomTom 5000 Trucker. What you think guys about android tablet+Aponia or CoPilot gps navigation? Do dedicated sat nav like TT 5000trucker will be better? Thanks

Ive been using a cracked version of copilot truck now on an old rooted android phone for 3 years…maps are a little out of date, but its served me fine now with very few problems!

Thanks for reply, Im thinking more about tablet becouse I will be able to use google maps to check which side is the driveway in depo.

You can get a free two week trial of copilot truck, I tried it recently and it was probably the best I’ve used. I didn’y carry on because it’s £89 per year.

I’ve been using an old tomtom go with a pirate version of truck on it for years which I can’t update, It’s probably as good as you need, I can’t remember it getting any bridges wrong but the map is old on it so I recently bought a garmin dezl.

The dezl has lifetime map updates and free traffic so it’s better for avoiding qeues etc. I’ve only used it a few times though and some of the speed limits are definetly wrong, even though it’s been updated.

I was impressed with the copilot when i used it, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Theres a gentleman on hete that does tablets sat navs for trucks, trucktables I think. Haven’t used one myself but have been reccomended to me by at least 2 colleagues at work directly and a few others. Personally I use a tomtom go 720 and patched the navcore so I can just update the map whenevrr I need, bout £80 off ebay and theres even automatic installers for the maps now. Brilliant for bridge heights, nit so great at lentgh/width tho. As for weight limits, sometimes recognizes them and avoids, other times recognises them, but still routes you through. Id advise always having an up to date truckmap as well tho just for peace of mind

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Buy an ordinary satnav, use you eyes & intellect
then spend the extra money you saved on whisky & wimmin’

peirre:

This ^^ or don’t even buy one, mine packed up over 18 months ago and I’ll never get another especially with google maps and today’s smart phones .

Personally i’d say if you’re doing a couple of stops a day or trunking between main depots, then ordinary sat navs are alright. Phillips trucker maps are useful here too to plan the whole route.

However I’ve switched to multidrop and find the ordinary tomtom can be a pain esp when it gets into lots of towns with 7.5T limits and doesn’t understand why you ignored said road. It wants to reroute there constantly.

Just bought a TomTom 6000 truck version (not car one) and its £279 in halfords when you go via web site click and collect vs £320 in the shop. Plus £40 cashback for next few days via tomtom. Cheaper than anywhere else I found. Will update on how it goes.

Btw, avoid truck Garmin - had one on last job and it was awful!

Will be waiting for news about TT 6000…

bald bloke:

peirre:

This ^^ or don’t even buy one, mine packed up over 18 months ago and I’ll never get another especially with google maps and today’s smart phones .

Im largely with you two here. Google maps is very good, and street-view/satellite can show if youre going into an industrial or residential area.
When using sat nav always do an overview of the route the device is suggesting before setting off. Some are mind boggling. In fact I only look at a sat nav for a long run after looking at a paper map. If satnav suggests a different route Ill try n work out why, then decide which is for me. Satnavs dont know if you`re fully freighted with a high centre of gravity, or have a low light load? Wet or dry? Longer motorway run or shorter A or B road? Use satnavs, but only as an advisory tool.

turbot:
You can get a free two week trial of copilot truck, I tried it recently and it was probably the best I’ve used. I didn’y carry on because it’s £89 per year.

I’ve been using an old tomtom go with a pirate version of truck on it for years which I can’t update, It’s probably as good as you need, I can’t remember it getting any bridges wrong but the map is old on it so I recently bought a garmin dezl.

The dezl has lifetime map updates and free traffic so it’s better for avoiding qeues etc. I’ve only used it a few times though and some of the speed limits are definetly wrong, even though it’s been updated.

I was impressed with the copilot when i used it, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Copilot is one off payment as aponia

They are just as good as a dedicated satnav

turbot:
so I recently bought a garmin dezl.

Mine too. Dezl 570 or whatever it is. No matter what I do it thinks all sliproads are 30mph and it thinks that a lot of 20 zones are 30. It keeps trying to take me over an 18t bridge in London and it can’t tell between a blanket weight limit and a timed one. And on a motorway it tells me to be in any lane.A lot of faults for 300 quid. You just have to use it with common sense,like you should do with all satnavs. I’ve stuck with it because it’s very good with bridges. In fact yesterday in Tinworth street it said the bridge was 13’8" and when I got there it was marked at 14’. Better than the other way round

peirre:

I know you are joking, but you do make a good point.
Apart from the fact that I think some of these things are just too damned over the top excessively expensive and unnecessary (yeh I know I have never mentioned that before :smiley: ) Is it wise a newbie buying one of these things?

I mean how tf are you going to ever pick up the basic skills (that are still remaining) to become a competent truck driver, if you are driving along with your brain in default mode whilst letting one of those bloody things tell you absolutely everything wt limits, bridge locations, speed limits and basically when and where to do stuff apart from when to wipe your arse.
A basic sat nav with a bit of initiative thrown in would be a better option imo…but what do I know.

robroy:
A basic sat nav with a bit of initiative thrown in would be a better option imo…but what do I know.

I would suggest a basic sat-nav actually makes it worse for a Newbie, as it will happily lead them in to trouble. Even a dedicated one will do that from time to time, but the job of a sat-nav is to make life easier, not constantly test you! :open_mouth:

Anyway, I thought we agreed you weren’t allowed to post on this threads anymore until asked or provoked?

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

I would suggest a basic sat-nav actually makes it worse for a Newbie, as it will happily lead them in to trouble. Even a dedicated one will do that from time to time, but the job of a sat-nav is to make life easier, not constantly test you! :open_mouth:

Anyway, I thought we agreed you weren’t allowed to post on this threads anymore until asked or provoked? :smiley:

Provocation? Isn`t that a simile for “having a different point of view”? :smiley:

Franglais:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

Anyway, I thought we agreed you weren’t allowed to post on this threads anymore until asked or provoked? :smiley:

Provocation? Isn`t that a simile for “having a different point of view”? :smiley:

Well the word we used before was ‘Poked’, but after recent revelations, accusations and a restraining order! :open_mouth:
The less said about that the better… :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

robroy:

Anyway, I thought we agreed you weren’t allowed to post on this threads anymore until asked or provoked?

I see your point but do you not see mine.
A lot of crap driving and ■■■■ ups are down to a driver being spoon fed, not using his brain and using zero initiative, all the effects of being ‘ran’ by a modern logistical operations control office :unamused: also all the ingredients of a sophisticated sat nav.
How is he ever going to acquire any skills and be prevented from becoming a mindless subservient robot.

Sorry I was not thinking that is the desired standard nowadays aint it.

Sorry for breaking our agreement, …promise to do 20 press ups. :blush:

I do see your point, and I also see that most Newbies probably start off multi-dropping, possibly in an unfamiliar city/area while at the same time have the firm on the phone chasing them, or a crappy POD system telling them they are late… So I can see them winging it, as they don’t have time to study maps and work out a route. They need to get on the road and try to make up time, as they are bound to be behind when first starting. I 100% agree that when you’re doing distance work and not pushed to the limit on time, you should work out the routes yourself.

robroy:
Sorry for breaking our agreement, …promise to do 20 press ups. :blush:

Don’t do it again!

So Im thinking that will be better to get tablet+truck sat nav app+google maps :slight_smile:

Just the truck nav and tablet should do it I use my phone instead of a tablet