HELP (and Hello All) VOSA 2nd court appearance for 1 offence

hi all,

i hope you can help. i have had a HGV licence for over 2-3 years and 2 years ago i got done for filling up with diesel when i should have been on a break (early and only mistake!). VOSA pulled me up, went to court and got a £275 fine.

this week they have contacted me again saying they are reviewing the fine and request i go to court again, only this time i might lose my licence. i live in nottinghamshire so it means going to bristol and back which is not a cheap distance to travel on its own. so gutted if i get my licence taken away, been happily trucking for several years now.

Has anyone got any advice for me, i would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Daz

daztrucker:
hi all,

i hope you can help. i have had a HGV licence for over 2-3 years and 2 years ago i got done for filling up with diesel when i should have been on a break (early and only mistake!). VOSA pulled me up, went to court and got a £275 fine.

this week they have contacted me again saying they are reviewing the fine and request i go to court again, only this time i might lose my licence. i live in nottinghamshire so it means going to bristol and back which is not a cheap distance to travel on its own. so gutted if i get my licence taken away, been happily trucking for several years now.

Cheers

Daz

I don’t understand this, you can’t be taken to court twice for the same offence it’s not legal :confused:

Did you go in front of the TC or a law court ?

I wouldn’t have thought that VOSA would contact you about a court appearance, and it certainly wouldn’t be a request, the police would issue a summons to appear in court.

I think you need to clarify exactly what’s happened because to be honest this doesn’t make much sense.

daztrucker:
hi all,

Cheers

Daz

Dude you want a a trained solciter to represent you in court not someone off here

Something not right here. :confused:

Hi Tacko bald bloke and scot,

Cheers for your replies, here is the letter i got. sorry i got it wrong, first time it was VOSA, this time it’s the traffic commissioner.

Thanks again for your comments.

cheers,

daz

From what you’ve said and the letter that you’ve posted it appears that you were fined £275 for one offence which you described as an “early and only mistake”, but the letter shows 5 other offences of varying seriousness.

The offences were nearly two years ago and that does at-least give you the opportunity to plead that you learned from them and now abide by the regulations (assuming there are no more recent offences on the books), however you do need to get proper legal advice because you could potentially have your HGV entitlement suspended for a while.

Not to kick you when you are down but you said it was for taking a break when filling up with diesel as the only offence. It also says you drive more than 10 hours and drove continuously for more than 4.5 hours without a break.
I can only agree with tachograph in as much as to say you’ve learnt from your past and get decent legal advice.

m1cks:
Not to kick you when you are down but you said it was for taking a break when filling up with diesel as the only offence

Yeah that’s what I read too hence my suspicious reply. I live locally I’ll come and cheer you on if you want ?

So how did you get on ?

Hopefully it went well for you :slight_smile:

Something still not right here - OP says fine was £275 for one offence, but letter states it was £150 (for a total of five offences during the previous month).

Roymondo:
Something still not right here - OP says fine was £275 for one offence, but letter states it was £150 (for a total of five offences during the previous month).

Add victim surcharge and costs, that probably turn the £150 into £275?

Mike-C:

Roymondo:

Add victim surcharge and costs, that probably turn the £150 into £275?

Possible, I suppose.

What is all this victim surcharge rubbish I keep reading about - who is the ‘victim’ in this case and why do they get a hand out?
I’m not in court enough myself to find out!

The cash doesn’t go to any particular victim (or victims). It funds various organisations who provide support for victims and witnesses. Full details (and links to a full list of recipients) here:
sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov. … charge.htm

OP must be locked up he still aint come back to update even after Tacho asked :wink:

Are you meant to switch the tacho to rest when filling with diesel. I have mine showing as other work

ytre:
Are you meant to switch the tacho to rest when filling with diesel. I have mine showing as other work

Fuelling is other work not break, whenever you’re working it’s other work.

ytre:

Obviously you’re not supposed to but if you’re brimming the tanks and you need a wee after and you need to buy a paper and a sandwich etc etc then that’ll all add up to about 15 mins :wink: just be careful Vosa ain’t watching.

ytre:

I find this comment really shocking. How the hell is it ■■■■■■■ rest :unamused: Are you really that dim ytre? :angry:

peter s:

ytre:

I find this comment really shocking. How the hell is it [zb] rest :unamused: Are you really that dim ytre? :angry:

Calm down Peter.