Help and advice

Hi all

Couldn’t find my original log on details, its been afew years since I was last on here…

Back in February 2008, I passed my class 2 then proceeded to pass my class one during the August… with the intent of giving up my full time job working in an office to ■■■■■ a different career.
Things didn’t quite work out as I expected, at the time the recession was kicking in and no company seemed to want to talk a newbie …that 2 year experience… but on a plus side I did complete everything before the new CPC’s came in to effect so I acquired the 5 year rights…
I decided to stick it out in my office job even though I hated every minute until I was knocked down by a back injury brought on by trying to be He-man trying to lift 200kg… laid up for 13 weeks, ending up going back to work due to financial obligations plus I would say the company blackmailed me to go back, even though I was still in pain most days and struggled with basic tasked like getting out of bed. :frowning:

Well it lasted for 12 months until my back gave out completely and I was off again. Yet after 28 weeks of being off the company I worked for terminated my employment. That was 18 years wasted :imp: …so I got dumped on the ESA , sent to one of those Atos assessments on behave of the DWP and advised I was fit for work, even though I couldn’t walk more than 100m without being in pain… :unamused: it was just adding insult to injury, based on that I decided to fight the decision by the DWP… finally in December 2013 the HMRC ruled in my favour that I wasn’t fit at any stage for work and up held my claim for ESA from the court date in December for the next 24 months
During January 2014 I attended an interview at the local job centre, basically one of them interviews to spy and see if my condition was as bad or was there any improvement or reason to get me reassessed.
It was discussed during the interview of my options, going back to original career…no chance after all the crap I’ve had from them and the second was go back to college and retrain but after calls to find that there isn’t much financial support for me through the local colleges so I’m pretty much shafted…

One thing I am considering when Im back up and running is putting to good use that HGV licence, but of course I would need to get this 35 hrs of training done so I qualify for my drivers CPC… the question I have is it all tests and assessments and can they fail you or refuse to give you the hours trained ? someone please point me in the right direction… Ideally when I do look for work Im looking for something at evening / nights as it would fit my personal circumstances

Hi Swampey, the DCPC isn’t a pass or fail, its just an attendance thing. What I would say though is make sure the training centre is JAUPT approved and that they update your training hours.

As Wheeltb said it’s not pass fail. It’s just training.

Sit in your arse for 7 hours there’s some practical bits in the load restraint module (can’t remember what it’s called).

If I was in your position (where I assume lifting is out of the question) I’d look at the following courses

MPQC (allowing you into quarries, a must on tippers)

Banksman
First aid
Driver hours
Then pick one more from those available.

As with all training (and everything else) have a good look around at providers and don’t spend any money until you are happy with the provider. There’s plenty out there looking to tip you off. Hours not uploaded. Not accredited al sorts

as Tom says try and get something that’s gonna help you … improve your chances and widen your scope of opportunities
I’m at the age and mind set I’m happy to pull a box from A2B B2A then go home.
I’ve done a lot of the other stuff and as all this H&S bs comes in I just don’t wanna know about having a sky hook while your standing 10ft in the air kicking sheets out and having to mess around with quarries etc …

Thanks Guys

Defiantly wouldn’t wanna be doing a job of hand balling & loads of lifting, don’t know how much my back could take…

Certainly will look into the cost of a local company for the training costs and see if the Job centre will help out with the costs…